C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What clutch should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
1BAD C5
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What clutch should I buy?

Yes, I did a search and saw where this topic has been beat to death, but I've heard that some vendors have made some changes and would like some current information.

'02 Z06
480 rwhp
502 ft/lb tq

Oh, and my left knee has issues, so I don't want a stiff clutch pedal.

With my current set up I have just about destroyed my stock clutch. The pedal wants to stick to the floor some after hard shifting (and it's been to the local dealer, Bill Heard , for the service call on the slave) and it's hard to go in reverse after making a few passes down the track.

I was looking at SPEC, but I don't like what I've read.
Does anyone have any horror stories about RPS ? It seems like a good set up and is lighter weight. I've owned many A4's in the past and this is the first clutch car that I've had in a while, so I am out of the loop where clutches are concerned.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Arent the new SPEC clutches better than before? Spec 3 is enough to hold your power levels. Those are nitrous numbers right?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:39 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had an RPS with light weight flywheel installed this week and still in the break-in period. So far, it actually feels lighter than the stock pedal. The clutch seems to engage about 1/2 way out, but when it does, it produces a quicker response that seems to be even easier on your leg/knee than stock. I'll be driving a lot this week to try and put some easy miles on it, and will let you know if anything changes. So far, I love the RPS clutch assembly. I had it done at ECS and they did a great job IMO.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

06 Z06 clutch and flywheel. I cannot tell the diff between it and my stock clutch when in the car and it grips great. I replaced all the hyd.'s and the clutch engages close to the floor but not that close (after 100 miles I did not notice anymore).

so far it has put up with this

without issue as well as several dyno runs exceeding 600rwtq and 550rwhp.

More Than Zero
Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it's hard to find a clutch to hold 500 rwhp. What can be hard is finding out to hold big power that doesn't sound like hell, weigh a ton, isn't jerky between gears, etc.

Mark
Old 04-06-2006, 04:40 PM
1BAD C5
Racer

Thanks for the input so far. I hear that the Spec clutches were "updated", but I'm still hearing that the chatter and the 3's and up are a bit stiffer. I was hoping someone on here had one of the new styles and could post some experiences.

Yes, the numbers are with a 125 dry shot.

beden1, thanks for the info. Keep me posted.

M T O - I thought about going that route, but I hear that they have still not been on C5's long enough to get a good long term test yet. It's good news that your's is working out just fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:59 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

beden1, thanks for the info. Keep me posted.

I just got back from driving on the highway and in stop and go traffic (about 35 miles). The clutch engages with the pedal lifted about 1/3. Very smooth pedal action and not laborous at all. I just also had 4.10 gears and a Hurst shifter put in, so I'm trying to get used to those changes as well. The RPS clutch assembly included a light weight fly wheel. I suspect this helps with the ease of engagement and smooth pedal action. There is some chatter at idle with the clutch disengaged, but I suspect this is also a by-product of the light weight fly wheel, and possibly why GM puts the heavy steel flywheel in for stock.

The car is much more responsive feeling even though I'm having to take it easy during the break-in period. So far, I'm very glad I made the changes.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:37 PM
5.7litersofVtec
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the spec clutch in last week. It was a little more chatter at first than i expected but after a week and then a track day it was alot better. I also put the alum. flywheel in at the same time along upgraded 02+ hydro parts. Over all it is a great clutch, by the way i drive this everyday thatl make a diff on your buy if its just a weekend warrior.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the spec stage 2+ (3 Hybrid) if you are worried about chatter, although I have not noticed much chatter in the stage 3. I would also install the McCleod master cylinder.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

I have the RPS clutch and flywheel and I have put 3k on the setup and no issues and I have huge hp/tq putting down and my only issue is spinning tires I found the clutch stiffer at first and to me it is stil stiffer than the stockers, but I needed something that would handle my hp. Been to the track once with 5 passes and it worked great, and I have much more fun in the hill country driving in the turns and putting the power down
Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE C
I would use the spec stage 2+ (3 Hybrid) if you are worried about chatter, although I have not noticed much chatter in the stage 3. I would also install the McCleod master cylinder.
where to get this mccleod master cylinder? is this the same thing as the slave cylinder?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also running a nitrous setup. 100 shot wet and I made 565rwtq! TQE is killing my stock clutch also. As far as I have read the 2006 zo6 clutch will not last on this kind of setup either.

We have a few options but with budget in mind I only have 2 options.
Spec.. or some more money but worth it CARTEK CLUTCH setup.

-Zee
Old 04-17-2006, 01:21 PM
1BAD C5
Racer

Yeah,
I'm leaning toward ordering the CARTEK clutch set up. It's actually a pretty good deal since it includes a new slave and adj. master.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:43 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 1BAD C5
Yeah,
I'm leaning toward ordering the CARTEK clutch set up. It's actually a pretty good deal since it includes a new slave and adj. master.
I have heard good things about that setup. The spec's seem to come apart and almost chop off legs.

Get notified of new replies

To What clutch should I buy?

Quick Reply: What clutch should I buy?