C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
mjohnson68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wipers won't shut off

Anyone got any ideas? I have done some research on this and found from what it seems like a bad wiper control board.

1. the washers won't stop - so I disconnected the washer motor.

2. the wipers just started yesterday going on and off by themselves - so i pulled the fuse for now.

How hard is it to replace the board if that is the case?

Should I replace the whole motor or just the board?

I see motors for sale on e-bay from a parts (junkyard) salvage dealer for 50.00 - is this a good idea?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:33 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Pulse Control Module.

On my 98 Jimmy I found on a GMC forum to take the board off, re-soilder the connection where the harness (plug) attaches to the board. I also re adjusted the contacts that ride on the motor so they had a bit more tension. It has worked great ever since.....might try ?!?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Your cowl drains may be plugged..... this condition causes water to build up inside the wiper motor,,,you need to get to the motor, take it apart and dry it. you also need to get to those drains and un block them... very common problem....
Old 04-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

ET is beating me to the answers today!!

I have pictures of the UDDERS that you need to clean! I will post them once I get home tonight! I know a couple of people who just cleaned the udders out and the wiper system returned to normal operation once the water drained out of the motor/control board. The correct fix is to remove the wiper arm mechanism and spray out the control board with contact cleaner or WD-40. Doing that fixed mine! .

BC
Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Bill Ive missed you over the last few weeks... it's tough trying to keep ahead of the game here... I am inundated with pm's.....glad you're close
I dont trust the forum to too many people, you and a few others help keep most of these guys out of trouble.
Bill aka ET
Old 04-10-2006, 09:08 PM
mjohnson68
Racer

Default wipers

Thanks for all the info guys, i'll give those a try first and let you know.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Bill Ive missed you over the last few weeks... it's tough trying to keep ahead of the game here... I am inundated with pm's.....glad you're close
I dont trust the forum to too many people, you and a few others help keep most of these guys out of trouble.
Bill aka ET

Bill

I took a week off and went to Cancun! When I got back, I had too much to do to get on the forum.

Thanks for the complments!

Will you be at ANY of the corvette functions this year??? Like the Cruise In, Carslile, Fun Fest ect??????? We have to get together one of these days!!!!

Here is the pictures of the udders that I promised
(thought I was just hijacking the thread didnt ya???

Here where the uders are:

Name:  C5ZO6pictures003.jpg
Views: 6145
Size:  96.4 KB

Here is what they look like (there are three in there, trust me!!)

Name:  C5partsandmaintenancephotos005.jpg
Views: 5929
Size:  68.0 KB

Here is what came out of mine!

Name:  ACVacuumline003.jpg
Views: 6032
Size:  123.7 KB

Get them udders clean!!

Bill C
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 AM
mjohnson68
Racer

Default Wipers

Bill thanks for all the great pics !!!

I took mine apart yesterday and got to the udders.....man was that area full of leaves and junk. I cleaned it all out. I also opened the wiper motor and cleaned the contacts with a little wd40.

Ok so now the wipers are working again with no problems.

But the washer pump still runs full speed when plugged in. Is the washer pump driven from the wiper control board or from the stalk on the steering column?

When I press the washer button on the column the wipers work like they are supposed to, but of course there is no fluid coming out due to the washer pump being disconnected.

I bought another pump thinking that was the problem, but it does the same thing...... any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:48 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

The PCM controls all of that. Take a look at the board and those harness soilder joints.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:12 AM
r8edxxx
Burning Brakes

Default Where is the third udder

I only found two and only feel two holes where the two I found go into place. They were extremely dirty.

Bill,

Please help so that I can locate the third one.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 04-21-2006, 04:32 AM
JCFILM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjohnson68
When I press the washer button on the column the wipers work like they are supposed to, but of course there is no fluid coming out due to the washer pump being disconnected.

I bought another pump thinking that was the problem, but it does the same thing...... any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike.

Be careful as the wipers can scratch the windshield with no fluid on it.

Had the same problem as the wiper switch had to be replaced which fixed it (was under extended warranty - would have been around $300 with labor).
Old 04-21-2006, 12:10 PM
mjohnson68
Racer

Default wiper dilema

Well, I took it into the dealer to have him flash the PCM as suggested by a few people.....(by the way GM covers the PCM for 100,000 under warranty if you have any problems).

I have a Hypertech program in the computer so I asked if I should remove it before they flash and was informed that it would be a good idea. So I did. When doing so the dash went nuts.....no gagues & all warning lights on......the dealer freaked and told me my car had MAJOR wiring problems.

I asked the "super tech" who was working on my car if he disconnected the battery yet.....and he said "no why?"

When he did all of the gagues and lights started working again.....WHEW!!!

Needless to say they told me that flashing the PCM would NOT fix any of my problems and to quit reading the forums.....LOL

They are telling me that I have an electircal short somewhere in the car and it would take a miracle to figure out.....

WHAT NOW?????

The wipers seem to work again lately with no issues, but my washer pump still runs full speed. I have disconnected it for now as I don't use it much here in Florida.....but it would be nice to have working again one day.

But on a side note my drivers door mirror has shorted as well.....the mirror turned yellow with a black spot on the side.......and now looks like the coating inside is melting..... The dealer wants 375.00 just for the glass as mine is heated and auto dimming.....

I found one online for 175.00....so I might pick that one up and paint it as it is the wrong color for me.

Any suggestions..........
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well, it looks like I need to dig DEEP on this one. I will look at it tonight. The PCM really doesnt have anything to do with the wipers. The BCM may but I will figure it out tonight when I have a chance to sit down and look in the service manual. It sounds like you have a door control module issue.

More to follow:

Bill
Old 04-21-2006, 08:11 PM
mjohnson68
Racer

Default help here Bill.....

Bill......anything for me?

I'm going nuts with all of these wiring issues......something crazy is happening......
Old 04-22-2006, 11:04 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Buy new.....

[QUOTE=mjohnson68]Anyone got any ideas? I have done some research on this and found from what it seems like a bad wiper control board.

2. the wipers just started yesterday going on and off by themselves - so i pulled the fuse for now.

I see motors for sale on e-bay from a parts (junkyard) salvage dealer for 50.00 - is this a good idea?

NOooooo....
Auto Zone sells the original GM manufactured motor part for the same money with exchange. There is some time spent on install and once finished you don't want to do again
Old 04-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Bill......anything for me?

I'm going nuts with all of these wiring issues......something crazy is happening......
Your problem is 100% on the radar screen!! Here's the scoop! Straight out of the service manual! The PCM or BCM has NOTHING to do with the wipers or washer circuits! Trust me on this one!!!

If you have resolved the issue of the wipers running on their own by cleaning the drains, that takes care of that problem. You state that the washers continuously run. The push button switch on the end of the wiper control stalk turns the pump on and also causes the wiper motor to run momentarily to remove the wash from the windshield. From your description of the washer running ALL THE TIME,, I would have to say that the windshield wiper switch is causing a problem. Check to see if that push button switch is stuck or making contact all the time. The washers running all the time indicate that the push button switch is stuck on! You have to fix that before I can say for sure that the wiper control board is bad!!!

If you want to diagnose the switch, and pull it off the steering column, I will give you the information that you will need to read with an ohm meter. Check for a PM and I will give you my phone number. Remove the switch and get an ohm meter and we will have at it!!

Bill
Old 04-22-2006, 06:56 PM
mjohnson68
Racer

Default wipers

Thanks Bill. I will give you a call to discuss further...

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers won't shut off

Old 04-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Anti-Ford
Instructor

Anyone got any ideas? I have done some research on this and found from what it seems like a bad wiper control board.

Mine just started doing this 2 days ago, but i couldnt find the fuse. Which fuse did you pull?

Mine just started doing this 2 days ago, but i couldnt find the fuse. Which fuse did you pull?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Dr Octane
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having the same problem with the windshield washer pump as well
(wont turn off). any updates?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM
c599vette
Heel & Toe

I have the same issue with my wipers. I cant seem to find anyone who sells the circuit board. Does anyone know where i can buy it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Wipers won't shut off