C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission High Temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:02 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sween
I just bought a 1999 (A4) with 75,000 miles. On a cool (70 degrees) morning it runs on the freeway at 170 (transmission temp) and goes to 195 in moderate traffic. What are the normal operating temperatures for the transmission? Also, I need to take it in and have the fluid replaced. Any recommendations for fluid? This is a daily driver, not driven 'hard'.
your A4 trani holds about 11 quarts of fluid ( 1.7 quarts if I remember correctly). If you want to get it ALL out you need to bring the car either to the dealer or a trani shop that has a flushing machine. To do THE WHOLE flush you'll have to supply the flushing machine with 16 quarts of fluid ( that's how much it needs to prim the machine and flush all the old fluid out). If you JUST want to change your filter ( not all your fluid) you'll need a new filter and just under 4 quarts of trani fluid. If it means anything to you I use Royal Purple but the new GM fluid is probibly just as good - any first rate synthetic fluid who's name sounds good to you will work - it's a transmission not your heart.

Quick Reply: Transmission High Temperature?