C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Six Shooter shifter owners please enter

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 PM
c5z06vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MTI Six Shooter shifter owners please enter

I just got done with the install and even though I have never owned any other shifter, it seems very notchy and alot of effort to shift. I was hoping the MTI shifter was smoother than it seems, so my question is did I do something wrong during the install? Any suggestions?
thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 12:14 AM
morepower
Instructor

It shouldn't be hard to shift. Since the stock shifter has no feel at all, the MTI will have a feel of a more precision pattern and engagement. Some may call this notchiness. My wife had trouble shifting my Hurst but she has no problems with the MTI.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Let's hear more about this shifter. When I first heard about it, it sounded like what a lot of us are looking for. Anybody else use this and another after market shifter?

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Old 07-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this shifter in my '02 Z06 for almost a month now and I REALLY like it. I replaced a Hurst with it. The Hurst with the springs in it was just rather tough to shift, and when I took out the springs, way too sloppy feeling. Here's a pic comparing the MTI on the left with the stock shifter on the right.

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/photo.../shifter01.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the MTI compared to the Hurst shifter.

I put an "8-ball" style shifter **** on it to keep the height low and it feels just RIGHT for me.

I wrote a bit more in depth about the shifter here -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...read.php?t=288

If anyone is interested.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:08 AM
c5z06vette
Advanced

The shifter feels very solid and precise, but it takes more effort through each shift, I just thought it would be more, effortless. Maybe I did something wrong w/ the install?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:46 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,684 Posts

hmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-08-2006, 07:45 AM
astrolite
Instructor

I have the MTI shifter and it is leaps above the stock.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:06 AM
bandit_99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rich Z
I've had this shifter in my '02 Z06 for almost a month now and I REALLY like it. I replaced a Hurst with it. The Hurst with the springs in it was just rather tough to shift, and when I took out the springs, way too sloppy feeling. Here's a pic comparing the MTI on the left with the stock shifter on the right.

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/photo.../shifter01.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the MTI compared to the Hurst shifter.

I put an "8-ball" style shifter **** on it to keep the height low and it feels just RIGHT for me.

I wrote a bit more in depth about the shifter here -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...read.php?t=288

If anyone is interested.
Rich, where did you get a 2 inch ball instead of the 2 1/4 inch ball? Do you have the part number? Also, how is that in the heat? I have the kirban billet ball- which is awsome for feel and height, but I have to put a cover on it when I park anywhere in the sun or I torch my hand when I get back in the car.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:14 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5z06vette
I just got done with the install and even though I have never owned any other shifter, it seems very notchy and alot of effort to shift. I was hoping the MTI shifter was smoother than it seems, so my question is did I do something wrong during the install? Any suggestions?
thanks
Stacey, the MTI is a reworked stock shifter with a raised pivot point and a shorter shaft. It has to be notchier and require more effort than stock. It ain't your fault. But this too will also pass.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bandit_99
Rich, where did you get a 2 inch ball instead of the 2 1/4 inch ball? Do you have the part number? Also, how is that in the heat? I have the kirban billet ball- which is awsome for feel and height, but I have to put a cover on it when I park anywhere in the sun or I torch my hand when I get back in the car.
Here's a link -> http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ory_Code=VTINT

Actually I did have the car parked where the shifter **** was in full sun for an hour or more. It was hot to the touch, of course, but cooled off rather quickly. Not BURNING hot, like I thought it would be, however. Actually the steering wheel felt MUCH hotter to the touch. You may want to consider a white one if that is a real concern for you. White would deflect the heat better then a black one would. I've seen the polished and billet shifter ***** and thought they would fry my hand if they got exposed to the sun for any length of time.

And yes, the 2 inch ball feels perfect in my hand. I was afraid the slightly larger ball might have felt unwieldy and awkward.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:38 PM
bandit_99
Burning Brakes

thanks man. Is your 2 inch one made by hurst?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bandit_99
thanks man. Is your 2 inch one made by hurst?
I am assuming that if it were, it would have "HURST" imprinted on it, which this one does not. I specifically did NOT want that extra lettering on the shift ****.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:22 PM
c5z06vette
Advanced

Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

I am looking at the MTI for you 02 Z and I have a Momo Italy shift **** already. I am wondering how it will fit seeing that the shift lever has that bump not to far below the threads, and the shift **** has a part that has to screw on over the allignment screws.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by Outsider
I am looking at the MTI for you 02 Z and I have a Momo Italy shift **** already. I am wondering how it will fit seeing that the shift lever has that bump not to far below the threads, and the shift **** has a part that has to screw on over the allignment screws.
It will fit fine. I used a MOMO and had no problems. That "****" in the shifter is low.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by cenzo
Stacey, the MTI is a reworked stock shifter with a raised pivot point and a shorter shaft. It has to be notchier and require more effort than stock. It ain't your fault. But this too will also pass.
Not sure where you get reworked stock shifter but the MTI Racing six shooter shifter does have a higher pivot point. It is not notchier nor does it require more effort than stock. Just wonder, do you actually have one or ever shifted one???

Last edited by gorillavet; 07-28-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by c5z06vette
thanks
Give them a call. They will actually go over the installation with you on the phone! It should not be notchy nor should it take any extra effort than stock. Believe me they stand behind their product and will work with you to your satisfaction. Give em a call

Get notified of new replies

To MTI Six Shooter shifter owners please enter

Old 07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Z
I am assuming that if it were, it would have "HURST" imprinted on it, which this one does not. I specifically did NOT want that extra lettering on the shift ****.
The six speed **** from MR GASKET/HURST with 9/16-18 thread specific for the oem '97-04 Corvette is 2.25" according to their catalog. It's #1630056 in white or #1630156 in black. I have a black one coming. SUMMIT RACING has them, but I've also seen them on EBAY. Does the KIRBAN have the oem thread size?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gorillavet
It will fit fine. I used a MOMO and had no problems. That "****" in the shifter is low.
So you had no contact with the "****" at all? when i tried putting the momo **** on the stock shifter and had contact. it just was not looking or feeling right.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gorillavet
Not sure where you get reworked stock shifter but the MTI Racing six shooter shifter does have a higher pivot point. It is not notchier nor does it require more effort than stock. Just wonder, do you actually have one or ever shifted one???

"The price for throw reduction is increased effort and reduced smoothness, AKA “notchiness”, and when the required effort becomes too high for a given user, the shifter velocity drops to the point that you’re better off going back to a stock shifter."
Chris Reinhart, six shooter designer

"I just got done with the install and even though I have never owned any other shifter, it seems very notchy and alot of effort to shift. I was hoping the MTI shifter was smoother than it seems, so my question is did I do something wrong during the install? Any suggestions?
thanks "

c5z06vette

Gorillavet, I have not shifted one. But I believe Mr. Reinhart and I believe Mr. c5z06vette. I also understand the principles of leverage from my see-saw days.

But if I ever have to go into battle, I'd want a staunch advocate like you by my side.

BTW, what do you suppose MTI does with those core C5 shifters?

Last edited by cenzo; 08-01-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: MTI Six Shooter shifter owners please enter