C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pitted wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
thetight
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pitted wheels?

my 02 coupe has the stock thin spoke polished wheels and it seems there is some pitting going on every wheel why does this happen? is there a way to prevent it. i did a search and came up empty i am sure this has to be talked about often
Old 08-15-2006, 05:13 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having the same issue especially on the front wheels
Old 08-15-2006, 05:15 PM
thetight
Racer

i am sure this is a huge problem why no recall from gm?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 PM
louzon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetight
my 02 coupe has the stock thin spoke polished wheels and it seems there is some pitting going on every wheel why does this happen? is there a way to prevent it. i did a search and came up empty i am sure this has to be talked about often

You should see what they look like after 6 salted road winters!
Now they are only used for the winter.

My first set was replaced under warranty after the first winter but to be honset I think it has more to do with the brake dust?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I noticed by waxing them (zaino) that the pitting does not occur that easy. Plus the brake dust comes right off.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Change to ceramic brake pads. Wax wheels, once or twice a year. Then use a dedicated "dash california duster" to clean off the dust between car washes.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to keep a good coat of polish or wax that is clear coat safe on them. You should be able to find a lot of info on proper care of your wheels in the Car Care Discussion section of the Forum. Good luck with the wheels.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:51 AM
vett2002
7th Gear

Default Gm replaced mine under warranty - new set -same problem

So what convinced them that it was a production problem? My guess, the pattern of the pitts. 2 wheels had pitts around the value stems. The 17" wheels were the worst, all were unacceptable. And, as you can guess the problem is back on the new wheels. I remove the wheels now for clean up and polishing about every 6 months.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The OEM polished wheels have a protective clear coating applied to them. When this coating wears off (abrasion from sand and other hard substances), oxidation occurs. Typical aluminum oxidation creates small pits that may be covered by a gelatonous substrate, especially when exposed to saltwater. Most people (myself included) don't treat their wheels quite as well as they do the body paint, so just as body paint's clearcoat gets worn away over time, so too does the wheel coateing, only at a much faster rate.

Prevention? Wash gently and often with very sudsy water. Follow with Rejex, Zaino, etc.

Last edited by Dave68; 08-16-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

good wheel maintenance is just as important as paint protection. you should treat them just the same. wheels have a clearcoat on them. You wouldnt leave brake dust and other harmful metal particals on your paint would you? Clean them everytime you clean the car and wax once a year and twice a year if its a year round driver. Oh and spraying on a cleaner and sparying off doesnt cut it, my dad got in trouble doing this and now his wheels are pitting. Remember, you need to apply some sponge or brush to remove the residue from the wheels as you would to any clear coat surface.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:47 PM
thetight
Racer

i bought this car 6 weeks ago and already had this problem with the wheels i clean the car every weekend. just wanted to know if this can be removed some how or if there was ever a recall on them

Get notified of new replies

To pitted wheels?

Quick Reply: pitted wheels?