C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with front end feeling loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:07 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Problems with front end feeling loose

When I go over a a not so smooth road, my front end feels light and loose. Espsecially around a curve. Kind of like the washboard feeling, but the road doesn't have to be very rough at all. A while back, my brother hit a large pothole in it and the wheel bearing had to be replaced along with a cracked wheel. Everything looks fine, could this be a broken shock?
Thanks,

Shawn
Old 11-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's possible or the shock Is leaking. I would just to be safe get a 4 wheel balance and alignment after you have the car looked at. It's hard to tell what It could be just from reading a post~ Theres so many things It could be. It's certainly not normal because my Vette Is as tight as a drum so I'd have It checked out. Try and find a place that won't charge you for looking at It. Most body shops will check It out for free~Word of advice though...Go on the test drive with them If they decide to take one, otherwise a 20 year old could be the one testing It & I've heard horror stories. Best of luck
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

It definitely has a problem, my 97 had the same adjustable suspension, and was handled very well. I just had new tires and wheels put on, but there was no change. Everything else looks good, so the shock was what I was thinking, but I don't want to guess and spend the $$ for the adjustable shock.
I think I will have it looked at again.
Shawn
Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 PM
vetpet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to say your problem is suspension related. Sounds like a loss on contact between the tire and the pavement and that points to shocks. Is the feeling of looseness strictly while turning corners or do you feel it when you go over bumps in the road? If the shock is leaking you should be able to spot it but the shock could be damaged internally without actually leaking. An alignment check would be the least expensive option at this point to rule out anything in the steering itself. Aside from the loose feeling, how does the car track on smooth pavement going in a straight line?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

The car tracks straight but feels loose over any bumps. going down a smooth road, it is great.
thanks,
Shawn
Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

if your vette is lowered too far you could be experiencing "Bump Steer".

Bump Steer is when your suspension geometry gets out of wack. Baer sells a bump steer kit that can be used to correct this condition if you have it.

Don't know where you live but I would post up in Auto-X section for an alignment shop in your area and take it in there and let them check it out.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

it isn't lowered. It just doesn't feel right. I am going to look at the shock and possibly pull it off to check it.
shawn

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with front end feeling loose

Quick Reply: Problems with front end feeling loose