C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sender relocate

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
berryj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white top
Procedure for replacing the oil pressure switch in the conventional way can be found in Tech Tips.

Jerry
After looking at the tech tips version on how to do the conventional replacement of the sender, it should really be updated w/ Vector Z's step by step pictorial plus the straw mod. I emailed one of the mods but he didn't give me the courtesy of a reply Might have been too busy getting ready for that recent cruise in

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=958008

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=change+oil
Old 06-02-2007, 09:33 AM
berryj
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6dude
The cap is still on because I'm going to extend my harness slightly. I'm waiting on some connectors to finish it.
I can move it to the closest coilpack to the firewall like I said above and the OP harness would reach but I like it in the center, it looks better...
I see, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure how long the harness was and if it would reach even the closest coil pack. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
CAUTION: THREAD HIJACK!! ok, not really. I decided to do the cut-a-way method and took some pics. Not too difficult to say the least.
Tools needed: 14mm socket, 1-1/16 deep socket, Needlenose pliers, cutting disk and a sawblade (use by hand. plastic cuts real easy)

REMOVE WIPERS (14mm socket, pull washer hose off too)

REMOVE TRAY (5 plastic rivets. Pull center up, then pull rivet out) Lay upside down ontop of motor.
This is the underneath tray

I cut on an angle so that I can put the plastic piece back on.. sort of like a carving a pumpkin top.

There's the little devil right there. (sorry for the bad pic, but you get the idea)

Using the 1-1/16 deep socket and a long extension, r/r the sensor. This is the new one installed. I used about 2 turns of tape also and didn't over tighten. Just snug it up and when complete, start the car and make sure it doesn't leak.

I used some duct tape and replaced the plastic piece. Looks ugly but you can't see it when the top plastic is put back.

Just replaced my faulty pressure sensor using this method.... used a Standard PS-308 (I guess they all are aluminum now )..gotta tell you..relatively easy...

Wiper arms were hardest to get off but some PB Blaster convinced them to eventually come off..

I had to modify my 1 1/6 socket by thinning out the walls somewhat to get it to fit around the sensor (due to obstruction by a bolt)

I used duct tape behind the panel to hold it in place when I put it back and then sealed it with black RTV...there is black stuff smeared in this area by the factory at assembly...my smearing will fit right in...

As the panel is already cut out, I can remove it quite easily if I need to, if this sensor fails I will have all of the stuff needed to relocate it on hand (gonna get everything this week), and I will just relocate if I need to go in there again.

This has to be better than removing the whole intake IMO.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Nowayman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez. Wish I had known about this thread sooner. Two weeks ago I had my Vette shop replace the sender the old fashioned way...remove the intake manifold. I had an LS6 manifold (from SLP) and LS6 valley cover (from Gene Culley) installed in the process. Made the whole project cost $1000 parts and labor for a lousy $39 problem.

The side benefit, of course, is the few ponies from the LS6 manifold.

Im bracing for the next failure, and when it does, I'm doing the access hole and relocation myself. The time to order the parts is now.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Nowayman
Intermediate

I had mine replaced due to excessive oil loss onto the block. Saw smoke from near the header on the passenger side near the firewall. I was loosing a quart every 4 tank fulls. Oil vapor was entering the cabin via the fresh air duct and causing an odor and the carpets to turn black.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:54 PM
widewheel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had been reading this thread about a month ago hoping that I would never have to worry about this. Lo and behold, had the Vette out last weekend and oil pressure pegs out at 80 on the gauge and 130 on the DIC. The car is an '02 with 75,000 miles on it and in August it will be 6 years old. I now have the information I need to handle this fix.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by widewheel
I had been reading this thread about a month ago hoping that I would never have to worry about this. Lo and behold, had the Vette out last weekend and oil pressure pegs out at 80 on the gauge and 130 on the DIC. The car is an '02 with 75,000 miles on it and in August it will be 6 years old. I now have the information I need to handle this fix.
Same thing happened to me....you read and you get!!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:59 AM
allcorvettesarered
4th Gear

Mine died last week 73K miles on a 1998. It is not clear that there is a "fix" unless the real problem is over torque on the replacement parts.

I am not sure it is worth fixing until there is a real solution.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by allcorvettesarered
Mine died last week 73K miles on a 1998. It is not clear that there is a "fix" unless the real problem is over torque on the replacement parts.

I am not sure it is worth fixing until there is a real solution.
IMO you NEED to fix it...oil pressure is a parameter of engine performance that you need to keep an eye on...no oil pressure no motor...
Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkazepis
IMO you NEED to fix it...oil pressure is a parameter of engine performance that you need to keep an eye on...no oil pressure no motor...

Old 06-16-2007, 01:02 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Advice for fellow newbies

I just got done doing this on my 98. I was worried about needing to remove the intake...wasn't looking forward to that, and didn't relish the thought of cutting into the cowl either.
Became a moot point when I found that a previous owner had already made the cut!
So, now I have a new oil pressure switch and my gauge is working again.
A couple words of advice for other newbies like myself...

One of the earlier posts mentioned turning down a socket because the walls were too big and there were clearance issues. Don't destroy your socket! Auto Zone sells an Oil Pressure switch socket made by Great Neck for about $6. It's thin walled so there's no clearance issue. Luckily, I found it by accident before I had a chance to destroy the brand new socket I'd just bought from Sears to do this job.

Detaching the electrical connector from the switch--I just used some coat hanger wire, bent a loop in it and used it to get underneath the tab of the connector. Pulled it up and it popped off. Easy.

Removing the old unit....once it's unscrewed, don't let it fall out of the socket! Mine dropped out behind the engine and I wasted about an hour fishing it out with the coat hanger and a pair of long tweezers. PITA! Maybe put a piece of foam up in the socket first to hold it in place? Similar to what some spark plug sockets have?

Same caution for installing the new unit. I put the switch in the socket, then taped it in place, started threading it and once it was in, I removed the tape from the socket and then finished tightening the switch.

Pretty easy fix, overall, and next time I have to do it, it'll be a snap.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ

One of the earlier posts mentioned turning down a socket because the walls were too big and there were clearance issues. Don't destroy your socket! Auto Zone sells an Oil Pressure switch socket made by Great Neck for about $6. It's thin walled so there's no clearance issue. Luckily, I found it by accident before I had a chance to destroy the brand new socket I'd just bought from Sears to do this job.

Detaching the electrical connector from the switch--I just used some coat hanger wire, bent a loop in it and used it to get underneath the tab of the connector. Pulled it up and it popped off. Easy.

Pretty easy fix, overall, and next time I have to do it, it'll be a snap.
Great find with the thin walled Great Neck Socket...I had to turn mine down

As for the connector on the switch...i used a hook normally used for taking off weatherstrip..it was easy...coat hanger works too...

As you stated as well, next time (if there is one) will be a piece of cake..
Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
ElectronSpeed
3rd Gear

In my internet searches for new sensor ideas I have come across your sticky issue. Based upon the information in this thread I have assembled the pictured solution using parts from my racing electronics business. To make it a plug and play installation for you guys, I just need to find a source for the crush washer and custom make the sensor's electronics to match the OEM piece. The result would be a near bulletproof application.

Per assembly prices would be in the $250 range.

It would be using all the best stuff:
Stainless steel racing pressure sensor with the same wiring and output as the OEM piece,
Stainless-overbraided, teflon hose,
AN fittings,
16 mm adapter . . .

This would need to be a group buy or a distributer or ? to justify the Corvette specification assembly at the quoted price.

Would this help you guys out of your sticky issue?

Eric Schieb
ElectronSpeed.com
Old 06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Here's is my relocation unit installed. It works perfect.
The analog gauge and the dash electric gauge show the same oil pressure with the new sender installed.
The whole setup with the analog gauge, new sender and mounting bracket is 289.00.
That comes with all the fittings needed including the adapter with crush sleeve. The much cooler location should make the electronics last. It also comes without the analog gauge for those who want it hidden under the plastic covers. I made 5 of them for now.

Video installed.
http://www.dpecorvettes.com/download...e%20sender.wmv
Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectronSpeed

In my internet searches for new sensor ideas I have come across your sticky issue. Based upon the information in this thread I have assembled the pictured solution using parts from my racing electronics business. To make it a plug and play installation for you guys, I just need to find a source for the crush washer and custom make the sensor's electronics to match the OEM piece. The result would be a near bulletproof application.

Per assembly prices would be in the $250 range.

It would be using all the best stuff:
Stainless steel racing pressure sensor with the same wiring and output as the OEM piece,
Stainless-overbraided, teflon hose,
AN fittings,
16 mm adapter . . .

This would need to be a group buy or a distributer or ? to justify the Corvette specification assembly at the quoted price.

Would this help you guys out of your sticky issue?

Eric Schieb
ElectronSpeed.com
Tells us about this: "Stainless steel racing pressure sensor with the same wiring and output as the OEM piece"
If those are that good why the need to re-locate them? If the factory unit craps out and a racing unit is that much better I'd slap one in and be on down the road.

Last edited by 87bob; 06-20-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:03 PM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 87bob
Tells us about this: "Stainless steel racing pressure sensor with the same wiring and output as the OEM piece"
If those are that good why the need to re-locate them? If the factory unit craps out and a racing unit is that much better I'd slap one in and be on down the road.
I also would be interested in a Racing sensor if it will last in the stock location on the Valley cover, although the added analog gauge is kind of nice for verification.

If they last ,maybe you can make them for GM
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Cartman98
Racer

I just did the "cut a hole in your Corvette method" and let me tell you, measure once cut 4 times The best way is to cut a bit more than you think you need and you should have it. Does anyone know if that hole has to be sealed? It is in such a location that I don't think much can get in there but... who knows.
One other problem I ran into was when I lifted the wiper cover? tray thing, the windsheild washer fluid lines where brittle and snapped and I had an fun time getting them together again. I ended up using shrink tubing used for electronics, heated it up then used super glue to keep it together and it works
Also used PB Blaster to get the wipers off! The center one was rusted good so I smacked it with a 2x4 and a hammer and it popped right off.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure sender relocate

Old 06-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cartman98
I just did the "cut a hole in your Corvette method" and let me tell you, measure once cut 4 times The best way is to cut a bit more than you think you need and you should have it. Does anyone know if that hole has to be sealed? It is in such a location that I don't think much can get in there but... who knows.
One other problem I ran into was when I lifted the wiper cover? tray thing, the windsheild washer fluid lines where brittle and snapped and I had an fun time getting them together again. I ended up using shrink tubing used for electronics, heated it up then used super glue to keep it together and it works
Also used PB Blaster to get the wipers off! The center one was rusted good so I smacked it with a 2x4 and a hammer and it popped right off.

I used PB Blaster as well.....but I sealed mine up with black RTV...dont want any water toget in...
Old 06-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES,,you should seal it up!! That cowl area is the intake duct for your HVAC system. If you leave it open (exposed to the engine compartment), dirty, smelly, hot, stale air form the engine compartment will be sucked into your HVAC system if you have the fresh air mode selected. Thats NOT good!

BC
Old 06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
ElectronSpeed
3rd Gear

"interested in a Racing sensor if it will last in the stock location"

We might be able to make this happen. There are two hurdles from my point of view.

1) This adapter (16mm male to AN3 3/8'-24 female) would not be an off the shelf part for me. I will do a bit of digging to see how we could make this work cleanly.

2) To mount directly to the engine I would prefer a taller sensor with a higher vibration specification. How tall can I go and still keep it under the cover?

thanks,

Eric Schieb
ElectronSpeed.com

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sender relocate