C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resetting tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 AM
bcseitz
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't get horn to sound off

This is a great thread and I have read it several times. However, I have tried three different magnets and still can't get the horn to sound to recognize a wheel sensor/transmitter. I have also tried the magnets both near and touching the valve stem end and near the body of the valve stem on all four whees on my 2004 coupe, but the DIC display just remains on LEARN R FRONT TIRE and the horn doesn't sound.

I followed the advice to keep the magnet still for 5-10 seconds and I also tried moving the magnet slowly around the valve stem -- still no horn sounding to indicate that the sensor was transmitting to the car's TPS module. One of the magnets is a 5 pound strength magnet that is about the diameter of a dime on a telescoping pickup tool. The other two magnets I tried without success are very strong permanent magnets salvaged from a computer disk drive. I even tried holding two magnets on opposite sides of the valve stem body.

Is there a "sweet spot" near the valve stem end or near the side of the valve stem body where the magnet should be held in order to trigger the transmitter? Three of my four sensors were already working perfectly to send the pressure to the TPS module; I am just trying to get a new valve stem sensor/transmitter to work on the right front tire.

I guess the next step will be to try to purchase the donut shaped magnet tool that GM uses. Does anyone have a source for that tool? Has anyone had the dealer re-program their sensors? What did that procedure cost? I hate to admit defeat on this pretty simple task, but I am tired of the Display Module whining about a flat tire on the right front wheel.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mangusta1969
This is a great thread and I have read it several times. However, I have tried three different magnets and still can't get the horn to sound to recognize a wheel sensor/transmitter. I have also tried the magnets both near and touching the valve stem end and near the body of the valve stem on all four whees on my 2004 coupe, but the DIC display just remains on LEARN R FRONT TIRE and the horn doesn't sound.

I followed the advice to keep the magnet still for 5-10 seconds and I also tried moving the magnet slowly around the valve stem -- still no horn sounding to indicate that the sensor was transmitting to the car's TPS module. One of the magnets is a 5 pound strength magnet that is about the diameter of a dime on a telescoping pickup tool. The other two magnets I tried without success are very strong permanent magnets salvaged from a computer disk drive. I even tried holding two magnets on opposite sides of the valve stem body.

Is there a "sweet spot" near the valve stem end or near the side of the valve stem body where the magnet should be held in order to trigger the transmitter? Three of my four sensors were already working perfectly to send the pressure to the TPS module; I am just trying to get a new valve stem sensor/transmitter to work on the right front tire.

I guess the next step will be to try to purchase the donut shaped magnet tool that GM uses. Does anyone have a source for that tool? Has anyone had the dealer re-program their sensors? What did that procedure cost? I hate to admit defeat on this pretty simple task, but I am tired of the Display Module whining about a flat tire on the right front wheel.
This is all the magnet that you should need. This is where I place mine and just hold it there on the Left Front Wheel until the horn honks then move to RF ect. ect.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I just did this the first time last weekend. I used a large ceramic magnet that is 2" x 2" x 3". I just held it over the valve stem towards the inside of the wheel. I found 2 things that seemed to apply.

1. I had to hold the magnet for at least 2 or 3 seconds.

2. The pole of the magnet facing the sensor seemed to matter. I know the 2 large faces of the magnet are the north and south poles. I would hold it for 10 seconds one way with nothing and then turn it over in the same spot and it worked within a few seconds.

The magnet I used is strong. 2 of them put together can draw blood if my fingers are caught between them. Hard to get apart too.

PF
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 AM
BowTieRocket
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a couple of "cow magnets" stuck to the side of my roll-away, which I use for this and other things. A friend in the dairy business gave me a couple of them. They're available at feed stores in more or less rural areas, and here's a URL for them. http://www.magnetsource.com/Solution...lnicoPill.html

Pretty useful. More powerful than most of the little magnet-on-a-stick parts retrievers, so I've been known to tape one to a long screwdriver if I need to retrieve a heavy object from a difficult place.

Oh, and they work great to program the TPS transducers.

As an aside, in the oil crunch of the 1970s it was an urban legend that if you taped a pair of these things to your fuel line just before the carburetor, you'd get better mileage. Something about magnetically aligning the ions in the fuel. Of course, a few years later we had the big "harmonic convergence" doo-dah at Mt. Shasta, and it was in the same general league -

I use one of the thin magnets on the oil filter on the Vette, but have taped these cow magnets to oil filters on the other cars to hold any particles that the magnet drain plug doesn't grab. Lots of uses...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:25 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

I picked up this Ring magnet from Amazing Magnets.
It works like a charm. The ring just fits right over the valve stem.

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/index....ROD&ProdID=116
Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I certainly would NOT take my car to a dealer that says it's "pretty Tricky" and takes 3 hours to program the TPS!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

Default Thanks, but still no luck here

BcSeitz and others,

Thanks for the great responses and photos. Unfortunately my car seems to be hexed and the horn will not beep to start the procedure on the left front wheel. I tried the exact orientation that BcSeitz had in his photo with my telescoping tool that also looked just like his in the photo -- still no good. Guess I will go out magnet shopping and see if that helps to resolve things.

Steve
Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

Default More magnets and still no luck

My 2004 coupe remains hexed with respect to the Tire Pressure Sensor. I just purchased and tried some small donut shaped magnets from Radio Shack and a large donut shaped base magnet with 25 pounds of holding power from Ace Hardware. The smaller magnets are not too powerful, but they fit around the valve stem nicely. I still cannot get my system to recognize any of the wheel sensors when it is in the Learn LF tire mode. I have also tried changing the North/South poles of the magnets to no avail.

I guess I will see if my extended or original Chevy warranties are any good at a local dealer. The only other thing I can think to try is to disconnect the battery from the car for an hour or so and then try things again. Has anyone every had success with that technique?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve
Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

I wonder if the left front sensor is bad or broken? Thus preventing you from moving to the right front. ????????
Hmmmm???
If it was me.....Check to make sure the wire connection is good where the wire plugs into the connector behind the wheel. Disconnect it and reconnect it a couple of times. If that doesn't work, I would temporarily swap the two front wheel/tires. May be dumb and a lot of work but maybe the left front sensor has gone bad???

Obvious questions:
How old are the sensors?
Are sensors mounted in these wheels? Are you sure they are there?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

BCSeitz,

I purchased the car new in August 2004. The TPS system has worked fine, except when an older replacement sensor on the right front became erratic about 6 months after it was replaced in the summer of 2006. Only the right front wheel has been off of the car, due to a bent rim from a pot hole. An older thin spoke wheel and sensor was used to replace the damaged rim at that time.

Currently, the LF, LR, and RR sensors are all correctly reporting their tire pressures to the TPS module. I have verified this by partial deflation/re-inflation, so I don't think there is any wiring problem or basic problem with the TPS receiver module. The RF sensor was just moved this week from the original bent rim to a good RF rim, but I cannot get the TPS system to go through the learning sequence to pick up the original RF sensor and the original RF sensor (now back on the car) does not report into the TPS module.

Since the thread indicates that the car is essentially dumb and will pick up the first transmitter from any sensor as being the LF sensor during the programming sequence, I have tried to get all four sensors to report in first as the LF sensor. I have yet to hear the horn go off when I have the magnet on each of the four tire stems.

The car will go to the local dealer next Monday to see what they think. I think I have been beaten. Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

Steve
Old 04-13-2007, 10:14 AM
bcseitz
Drifting

Do you have the ability to swap the front wheels in your garage?

For the heck of it, swap the locations of the two front wheels. Since you know the sensor on the RF works, try seeing if the RF works on the LF. ???

Don't forget to swap the wheels back if you tires are directional. (like the OEM emt's)
Bob
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

Default Wheel Swap

Thanks for the wheel swap suggestion. If I try this, I will report back my findings. But I don't think it is going to help.

The LF pressure sensor is already reliably reporting back its tire pressure when the car is operating. The LF sensor just won't respond to the magnet proximity and beep the horn when I am trying to train the TPS module to pick up all of the sensors. None of the four sensors will trigger the horn; the dash display just remains at the TRAIN LF TIRE message for about two minutes before it times out.

This 2004 car now has its four original sensors located at their original wheel locations. I just transplanted the original RF pressure sensor from a damaged 2004 RF wheel to an older thin spoke RF wheel about a week ago. The used sensor that I had previously obtained with the older thin spoke rim in 2005 for the RF wheel had sort of worked for a year at that RF location. The used sensor always read about 6 pounds low on its pressure, but it recently started reading as a flat tire. The original 2004 sensor now also just reads on the dash display as a flat tire at the RF wheel location.

The original 2004 sensor had remained unused in the garage on the damaged rim with its undamaged tire inflated normally for about the last 11 months. I just mounted the original 2004 tire and 2004 sensor onto the older thin spoke rim, foolishly expecting that all would be well and that the TPS module would just pick it up automatically at its original RF location. BTW, I never had to reprogram the TPS module 11 months ago when I put a older rim/tire/sensor combination on the right front hub and drove it over that period of time. The older rim/tire/sensor combination had been in use on another Corvette at the RF location prior to the time that I purchased it. I think the older polished thin spoke wheel was from a 2001 or 2002 C5.

Sorry if I have confused anyone with my long winded explanations.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

Check the plug-in connection behind the LF wheel while your there. Unplug it and plug it back in. Maybe have something to do with why the LF will not respond to the reprogram???
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There seems to be a little bit of mis-information here:

1- The valve stem is NOT an antenna! You can mount the sensor in sided the wheel using a strap with the stem snapped off and it will still function properly! The magnetic micro switch is located inside the sensor. The magnet should be placed over the sensor and held stationary while your programming the sensor. If you place the magnet behind the stem and lay it flat on the inside of the rim, it will be directly over top of the sensor!

2- It doesn't take a gigantic magnet to program the sensor. It just needs to be placed over top the sensor and held steady.

3- IF your having problems getting the tire pressuer program to initiate, check the DTC's and see if you have any BCM or RFA module DTC's. On some modules, set error codes (DTC's ) will cause the module to not function properly. Clear the DTC's and try it again. It may solve the problem. If it were me, I would disconnect the battery and let the entire electrical system reset to defalt and then try it if the DTC clearing procedure doesnt fix it.

BC
Old 04-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

Default Success--Sort Of

Not wanting to admit defeat on this, I located a very powerful permanent magnet that had been removed from a computer disk drive. By holding this magnet stationary in a certain orientation with one of its poles just above the base of the LF valve stem, I finally got the horn to beep, so I could at least start the relearning process.

Here is what happened. In each case, I held the same magnet pole just above the base of all four pressure sensors:

LF - horn beep after about 10 seconds (as the LF sensor)
RF - could not get a horn beep
RR - horn beep after about 10 seconds (as the RF sensor)
LR - horn beep after about 10 seconds (as the RR sensor)

I figured the result of this "re-learning" would be that the RR tire was actually reporting in as the RF, the LR tire would be the RR reading and the LR would not appear since it never reported in during the learning sequence.

When I started the car and drove around for about a mile, all four sensors at all four positions were now reporting pressure normally (no more "flat tire" on the RF), even though one of the sensors would not respond to the learning procedure that I had just performed.

For others not using the factory sensor training tool; the pressure sensors definitely appear to be sensitive to the North or South pole of a magnet. Although I had tried about 5 five different magnets in all sorts of physical orientations on different sensors, I could only get the horn to beep (indicating that sensor's position had been learned) when I held ONE of the poles of a very powerful magnet stationary near the base of each sensor. Using the opposite pole or the middle of the same magnet would not work to trigger the sensor's transmitter signal.

Let's hope that my good fortune continues, as my car is definitely haunted, at least according to the TPS re-learning service procedure that could not be completed completely. Perhaps the one dealer's "three hour" TPS time estimate came from working on a similarly haunted/hexed vehicle.

Thanks very much for all of the helpful advice on this subject from forum members. Perhaps my weird experience will help someone in the future.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
turbo181
Cruising

thank you for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To resetting tire pressure sensors

Old 08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
bassvet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 12stepvette
I certainly would NOT take my car to a dealer that says it's "pretty Tricky" and takes 3 hours to program the TPS!!!
With good sensors and magnet it takes a maximum of one minute. I relearn my sensors every time I do a wheel swap from my track tires to road tires... The dealer is full of
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

Default Eventually required a new sensor on the RF wheel

My sensor success back in April was short lived. After about a week of decent operations with all four sensors reporting in, my RF sensor went blank again and I had to bypass the sensor system error from the dash every time I started the car up. After a few days of this, all sensors stopped reporting any tire pressures.

I finally admitted defeat and took the car to the dealer in early August, just a few days before the base warranty period was finished on my 2004. Although I also have an extended GMPP warranty, I don't think its coverage includes any battery powered devices like the tire pressure sensors.

The dealer didn't have the tire sensor part in stock, but determined the problem to be the RF sensor, even though none of the sensors were now reporting in. Once the part arrived a few days later, the ailing RF sensor was replaced. All has been well with all four wheels and the TPS system for almost three weeks now.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by USA C5
Here are the directions if needed:

Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Programming

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system interfaces with the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) through the serial data line. Once the program mode is accessed through the IPC, each sensor's unique identification code can be programmed into the receiver's memory. Each sensor must transmit the unique code in the proper sequence. A magnet must be held close to the sensor in order to force the sensor to transmit the identification code. The IPC will display a message as each sensor is programmed, and when to proceed to the next sensor for programming. The receiver also sends a message to the BCM to sound the horn one time, indicating that the sensor properly transmitted an identification code. If the programming sequence is cancelled before any sensor is programmed, or if the vehicle's battery is disconnected, the receiver will remember all current identification codes. As soon as the receiver learns the first sensor identification code, all previously stored codes are erased from the receiver's memory.

Tool required (any medium strength magnet, U or Disk type)

The official GM tool is (J 41760) Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Programming Tool.

1. Turn the ignition to ON.
2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.
3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.
Notice: Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Cautions and Notices.
5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.
6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin
the programming sequence.
7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.
8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.
9. When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed
by the IPC messages:
- LEARN R FRONT TIRE
- LEARN R REAR TIRE
- LEARN L REAR TIRE
Programming Cancellation
1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met: - The program mode is exited through the DIC.
- The ignition is turned to OFF.
- All four sensors have been programmed.
- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors
have been learned.
2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.
THIS will RELEARN WHERE EACH SENSOR IS NOT CALIBRATE THEM.
I would try a few guages. My sensors are CLOSE to a tire guage but not 6# off and if they are all 6# off I would suspect your guage.
BIGHANK

Quick Reply: resetting tire pressure sensors