C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortex Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
evo2ls1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vortex Intake

I Have A 1999 Frc With A Vortex Ram Air Intake The Filter Looks Dirty And I Want To Clean It Can This Filter Be Cleaned Or Do I Have To Buy A New One I Am Goin To The Track Tmrw And Want To Clean It Before Then. If It Can Be Cleaned What Do I Use To Clean It. Thanks For Any Help.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:16 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends, do you have a K&N filter or a factory paper filter in the box? Either way you can use your air coompressor and blow a lot of the dust and dirt out of the filter adequately to reuse for a day at the track.

I would definitely go with a K&N filter setup if you do not already have one. I use 2 filter sets so I can wash / clean one set and let the oil spray dry out while the 2nd set is on the car.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Diluted SIMPLE GREEN is safe enough to use on any of the aftermarket synthetic or cotton gauze filters if you don't have or run out of the manufacturers recommended cleaning solution. The cleaning solution gets used up faster than the oil.
You should use the specific manufacturers recommended oil. In other words, don't use K&N (cotton gauze) red colored oil on a BLACKWING (synthetic media) blue filter...different filters usually require different oils or you might damage the media/change media color. You should not use compressed air to clean a cotton gauze or synthetic media air filter. That's clearly stated in their instructions.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortex Intake

Quick Reply: Vortex Intake