C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Katrina coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Billdog350
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the project progress! Did you rebuild or replace the motor? I would think that a complete bottom end rebuild plus a nice aftermarket cam/heads would be cheaper than getting a new crate motor.

I'm guessing things like suspension and driveline bearings and bushings have been replaced, or you'll end up doing them soon. Otherwise it sounds like you've anticipated and worked thru most of your issues. Good luck and make sure to post pics when you're done!

A forum member Konrad recently restored a totalled C5 that was in a bit better shape than yours. However he still had to pull the whole rear frame back out, replace quarter panel and rocker, and a bunch of other work. Drop him a note if you have any questions...he did a spectacular job restoring it.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:16 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Was this car out of Miss? I thought the insurance co.'s and the feds were insisting that all N.O. flood cars be destroyed due to possible toxic and/or bio hazards.

This car looks like a it got flipped over on or near a beach since it had shells in it and looks more like sand than swamp mud. Plus with the amount of corrosion it looked like salt water more than fresh.

Not something I would have tried. As soon as I pulled the dash pad and saw that I would have said F' This!

Goes to show how much they cleaned up the car before you got it.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looked like KITT after he was dragged from the acid pit (if anybody else is a child of the 80's)
Old 04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
robertt43
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default challange?

A man who is not afraid of a challange........ Good for you......race it......break it......fix it......... Please keep us up on this car.....We'll call it.......Project Miss Kat for now...{ PMK for short }.....lets have other suggestions for names...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by gonbad
Not something I would have tried. As soon as I pulled the dash pad and saw that I would have said F' This!
I was pretty depressed when I saw what was hiding under the dash pad but again thanks go out to Gene Culley who basically sold me an entire Corvette one piece at a time

As far as the toxic mud (I believe they called it toxic gumbo) with the amount of dirt and sand I got from this thing it was definitely buried maybe not completely but from what I found I think it was upside down and buried up to the front of the transmission because everything forward of the torque converter was filled with sand and from the torque converter back everything was clean, I even had fuel in the tank (it was a little dirty but still gasoline)
Old 04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by robertt43
A man who is not afraid of a challange........ Good for you......race it......break it......fix it......... Please keep us up on this car.....We'll call it.......Project Miss Kat for now...{ PMK for short }.....lets have other suggestions for names...
I just got the car registered and my next step is to apply for a personalized license plate, I think Katrina fits best.

I also forgot to mention, the wheels were the first thing to get replaced on this car.

Last edited by runamuk; 04-04-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 890 Likes on 588 Posts

You, sir, are what they call a "pioneer", an "innovator", a "breaker of molds". Others simply know you as "that nucking futz looney" down the street. I recommend you contact Guinness Book of Records and submit the size of your cojones as the new record.

I commend you on this obviously extremely daunting project. I'm getting a headache just thinking about where I would start . . .

Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
FUN LS1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Props for undertaking this project!!!

I wish I was in a position to fly out there and help, can't think of a better way to learn about Corvettes!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 PM
DRR
Burning Brakes

Default Cool...

Originally Posted by runamuk
I also forgot to mention, the wheels were the first thing to get replaced on this car.
!. What wheels did you go with?
2. Have you totaled up how much you have spent?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by DRR
!. What wheels did you go with?
2. Have you totaled up how much you have spent?

1. Stock polished wheels

2. I'm afraid to, but lets just guess it's about 10k more than a low mileage non damaged 04 Comm Coupe would sell for.

It's all about the journey
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 AM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about the journey
Yeah, keep telling yourself that.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Mongolink
Pro

Default You are my hero !!!

"I'd really like to thank Gene Culley who provided a tremendous amount of assistance locating alot of obscure and hard to locate parts for this project.

I'd also like to thank Bob at Ken Fichtner Chevrolet who sold me the new firewall and windshield frame last October which is the whole reason I decided to get into this project in the first place.

And Gene (Karshop) who also provided alot of parts and technical advice/assistance.

Thanks everyone. "
Man oh Man... All I have to say is either you are not married or if you are you really hate your wife!!! It is painfull obvious you have spent more time talking to Gene,Gene,And Bob than your significant other!
You have been in your garage now for six months straight without sleeping, eating, or working so My hat is off to you. You now qualify to be a vette proctologist as you have been deep into the bowles of that car.There is no nook or cranney that has gone unvisited by you.

Again, Congrats and god bless for your vision and dedication to that project !!!

Tom L
Old 04-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I just got the car registered and my next step is to apply for a personalized license plate, I think Katrina fits best.

If Katrina's taken how about Phoenix (a mythical bird of great beauty fabled to live 500 or 600 years in the Arabian wilderness, to burn itself on a funeral pyre, and to rise from its ashes in the freshness of youth and live through another cycle of years: often an emblem of immortality or of reborn idealism or hope.)

Old 04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Man that hurts looking at it
Laissez bon ton roulez
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
2000whitec5
Burning Brakes

Location: 10.54 @ 129 346 N/A A4 Record 9.78 @ 139+ on 150 shot

I give you credit.. good luck
Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 PM
vettesrnice
Racer

Default Sounds like fun to me!!!

Hey all you guys thinking this job is too big, Vettes are a easy car to work on and the only steel is the chassie which wasnt damaged bad. I have worked on a a few of vettes that were damaged and am impressed on how well they are put togeather. yea the parts cost a lot but that is the way it goes. I like to relax by working in the shop, some like to watch tv. to me this project is a fun one cus all of the avrege guys will think it cant be done. the project looks great and you are doing a great job! Keep them alive!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
lougars
Intermediate

Default Katrina Car restore

I have just about completed a restore on a 2003 Convertible that was flooded. 2600 Miles on the car and runs great and will be pristine in all ways in another Month. The car was purchased for me by me, with no intention of reselling the car. Hell its all been gone through and is in better condition then most 2003. Yes it has a rebuilt title, so what!!
in another 20 Years or so if I ever wanted to sell the car it will bring in additional value for being a Katrina survivor. I have pictures on file and will post all info when the car is completed. Mean while I'm proud to say I have a survivor and is back MEAN! and LEAN! driving machine.

Good luck with your wonderful learning experience!!

Get notified of new replies

To My Katrina coupe

Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

may the force be with you
Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 AM
soggysailor
Pro

Even if you got that thing for free, it still would not be cost effective to rebuild. At best .....I'm thinking "parts car". BTW I checked your photobucket and you seem to be coming along nicely. I'm curious why you picked this car to restore? I think I'd rather spend my money and TIME on a driver that I could eventually resell later. Best wishes on your efforts!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 AM
DadsC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Wow that is some project there. I managed to save my C5, but attempting something similar with my 71 which was left behind.
Sup Mark?

Ummm...crazy comes to mind runamok but I admire your dedication. I've run across a few cars that were flood victims (an 04 Cobra for 9K comes to mind) but I was just too afraid of throwing good after bad. You sir have my respect...and prayers.

Quick Reply: My Katrina coupe