C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Springs

Cruising over the Skyway Bridge at about 60mph and all of a sudden the check engine light comes on motor starts shaking and clattering. I make it slowly to a flat piece of ground and call a flatbed.
Dealer shows me "3" broken valve springs and 4 others that are distorted on my '99 daily driver with 100k and never any other problems. His comment "yah this is a real common problem on the Vettes." First I've ever heard of it. Springs were replaced with the UPGRADED style.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:17 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Rotor Head
Cruising over the Skyway Bridge at about 60mph and all of a sudden the check engine light comes on motor starts shaking and clattering. I make it slowly to a flat piece of ground and call a flatbed.
Dealer shows me "3" broken valve springs and 4 others that are distorted on my '99 daily driver with 100k and never any other problems. His comment "yah this is a real common problem on the Vettes." First I've ever heard of it. Springs were replaced with the UPGRADED style.
What upgraded spring, the LS2? Stock cam?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
nonsuchpro
Racer

Old 04-21-2007, 08:29 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Aftermarket springs require more frequent replacement, stockers sound like they need replacement as well. You were lucky it didn't allow the valve to hit the piston. Does it run OK now?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Max@Cartek
Drifting

The stock springs aren't that great. They cost you power too up top from not being able to control the valves as they should. This is especially true if you raise the limiter up, even a little bit.

As stated above, I would do a leak down test just to have the piece of mind.

I would also look at a set of good valve springs like manley dual springs. They may be over kill, but they do the job well. I would replace springs every 3 years or 36000 miles if I had a stock vette, but that's me.

Max
Old 04-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
What upgraded spring, the LS2? Stock cam?

Not real sure what they used as the UPGRADE. These are blue in color and was told they came out in '04. Did get a full set, had leak down test and everything looks and runs OK.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Springs

Quick Reply: Valve Springs