C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Torque Sequence????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Oil Pan Torque Sequence????

I am looking for the oil pan torque sequence....anybody got info or a link?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 01:13 PM
molson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service manual doesn't require a torque sequence for the oil pan.

says to tighten the oil pan to block and oil pan to front cover bolts to 18 ftlb and the oil pan to rear bolts to 106 lbin<<<INCH pounds.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by molson
The service manual doesn't require a torque sequence for the oil pan.

says to tighten the oil pan to block and oil pan to front cover bolts to 18 ftlb and the oil pan to rear bolts to 106 lbin<<<INCH pounds.
thats interesting because the bottom of the oil pan is imprinted with language that states that the oil pan must be tq'd to the proper sequence.

I guess I will just follow the ole inside to outside pattern with 18 ft lbs and 106 in lbs on the back...what does 106 inch lbs translate to in ft/lbs?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I think you must do the front and rear covers first, but the rest can go in any order. I think that is to align everything correctly before you torque them down. If you do the main pan bolts first, then tight the front/rear, you could crack the pan if it is offset.

This is a quote from the manual:

1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
2. Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
3. Tighten the flywheel housing bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).
Old 04-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I think you must do the front and rear covers first, but the rest can go in any order. I think that is to align everything correctly before you torque them down. If you do the main pan bolts first, then tight the front/rear, you could crack the pan if it is offset.

1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
Thanks dude!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 PM
ElberGuudo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

Well, just my 2 cents on going 18 ft. lbs on pan-to-pan - the bolts kept turning and I was gettin more and more nervous. So I stopped, picked one bolt and went for 18 ft. lbs, bolt snapped clean off in the upper pan long before it got close to 18. I am royally screwed, are you certain that it is the spec ?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:50 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

This thread is from 2007.

18 lb-ft is a low torque number. You can exert 18 lb-ft fairly easily with a small wrench, even a quarter inch ratchet. It's basically "This is about as tight as I feel it'll go" with a quarter inch ratchet. Those bolts absolutely should not be snapping at 18 lb-ft. Really, pretty much no bolts on a car are gonna snap at 18 lb-ft ... What were you tightening it with?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 PM
ElberGuudo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the thread necromancy, I used a 3/8 torque wrench that I used without any issues on upper pan. Its a sensitive higher end one. The lower pan bolts are smaller and finer thread than upper and now I gotta find an extractor small enough to get in there, gonna suck.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

When I use a 3/8" torque wrench, 18 pounds feels like "eh it finally stopped spinning freely, let me kinda push it a little" sort of effort. Did you feel like you were putting in a lot of effort?

I'd probably reach for a 1/4" ratchet, snug all the bolts nice and good, then use a torque wrench to verify, expecting not very much more before it clicks. Of course a gasket compresses a little so I'd go over them for a second pass with the smaller ratchet to make sure they were all actually snug. If you felt like you were putting in effort ... and were worried about breaking a bolt (and in fact broke a bolt), I'm not sure that's 18 lb-ft. But I mean, I wasn't there, so who knows?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:07 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

If there is oil on the threads, you may never reach 18 ft*lb...

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Torque Sequence????

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Torque Sequence????