C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer setting is saved where?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 PM
paultissue
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer setting is saved where?

I am investigating an issue with my OEM Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) on my low mileage C5 by temporarily testing another OEM cluster on it that has much higher mileage. However, I am concerned odometer mileage of the test cluster might somehow alter my current odometer when I reinstall my original cluster.

Is the odometer setting stored on the printed circuit board of the instrument cluster? If I replace the printed circuit on the IPC, does it change my odometer?
Or is it stored on a "gauge" or separate sensor on the cluster?
Or is it stored in the ECU and/or synchronized between the IPC and the ECU?

I really do not want to mess up my current low mileage value on my C5.

Thanks.

Last edited by paultissue; 06-11-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

pretty sure it's in the cluster ????
Old 06-11-2019, 09:37 PM
wdwinder
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '24

Worked for a company that made dash clusters for some Japanese cars and those stored them in the cluster. YMMV
Old 06-11-2019, 10:27 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by paultissue
I am investigating an issue with my OEM Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) on my low mileage C5 by temporarily testing another OEM cluster on it that has much higher mileage. However, I am concerned odometer mileage of the test cluster might somehow alter my current odometer when I reinstall my original cluster.

Is the odometer setting stored on the printed circuit board of the instrument cluster? If I replace the printed circuit on the IPC, does it change my odometer?
Or is it stored on a "gauge" or separate sensor on the cluster?
Or is it stored in the ECU and/or synchronized between the IPC and the ECU?

I really do not want to mess up my current low mileage value on my C5.

Thanks.
Yes it is on the printed circuit board that controls your entire cluster and it's in the cluster, and no it will not alter anything else on the car when you swap the cluster so go ahead and swap away. Allure in Minnesota
The following users liked this post:
paultissue (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by paultissue
...I am concerned odometer mileage of the test cluster might somehow alter my current odometer when I reinstall my original cluster.

Is the odometer setting stored on the printed circuit board of the instrument cluster? If I replace the printed circuit on the IPC, does it change my odometer?...
Hey, Paul!

As mentioned above, you have nothing to worry about. You can safely swap IPCs back and forth.

The odometer data is stored in an 8-pin EEPROM that's surface-mounted at the center of the IPC's main board. This IC is labeled U13 and it can be transferred.

Last edited by GCG; 06-12-2019 at 01:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GCG:
paultissue (06-12-2019), Pounder (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 PM
paultissue
Intermediate

Confirmed. I swapped in the higher mileage IPC (98488 miles) then swapped back in my original IPC (22487). My original odometer value (22487) was retained.

The only oddity I observed is that on the higher mileage IPC the Security light was flashing on entry into the vehicle and that turning on lights and such may trigger the security alarm. Clicking lock/unlock on the fob did turn off the alarm. I am not sure if would need to train the fobs to make this go away or not. I have no intension of using this higher mileage IPC...this is only a test so I have no interest in training my fobs to it. My original IPC does not have any issues with Security.

Thanks all for all the advice.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

As was mentioned above, you can swap the Eprom on the IPC and keep your mileage on the new cluster. Not sure why you'd be going through all this if you didn't intend to complete the swap. In my case, it was something like 103.9k vs 105.1k and I didn't care. I simply swapped the cluster. But in your situation, I'd be swapping that chip.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 PM
paultissue
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
...Not sure why you'd be going through all this if you didn't intend to complete the swap...
I initially thought my original IPC could not be fixed but found out it was just a simple bad ground connection on the circuit board that I easily repaired. In the meantime I ordered a replacement IPC. Since my original IPC is fully working again I decided not to swap it with the replacement I purchased.

Last edited by paultissue; 06-13-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Old 06-16-2019, 01:19 PM
bahamallama
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

How tough is it to swap that chip? I have a 98 pace car and would like to add hud, but I’m at less than 14k original miles. I plan to save the old parts so I can revert back to original if needed but want the miles to be reflected on the new one.

How can the new new one be programmed to my mileage if I don’t swap it?

thanks for any help or advice!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:08 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamallama
How tough is it to swap that chip?...

...How can the new new one be programmed to my mileage if I don’t swap it?...
To update the mileage in the new IPC you can take/send it to an odometer company to reprogram it. (Edit: this was a link I had for http://www.odo-pro.com/digital-mileage-correction.html , but I just tested it and apparently is not working).

To remove the chip and solder it on the new IPC you will need a soldering station with SMD capabilities (hot air, etc), or find someone who could do it for you. Something like this would be needed: click here.

It has been done with a heat gun or hair dryer, while protecting the circuit with heat shielding, but the step-by-step write-up is no longer available.

Last edited by GCG; 06-16-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Odometer setting is saved where?

Quick Reply: Odometer setting is saved where?