C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Drain Plug - location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:18 PM
mmaynard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Radiator Drain Plug - location?

I'm changing the coolant in my '01 vert for the first time and I cannot locate the radiator drain plug. I'm looking at the lower right of the radiator from underneath the car. Do I have to remove a panel to get to it?

Also, how can I tell when the thermostat opens? I'm used to cars with the cap directly on top of the radiator.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 03:35 PM
JagTech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's there, its the yellow/white plug on the lower right of the radiator. It looks kind of funny but it will twist out with a flat head screwdriver that is the right size.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:47 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

The valve faces the rear of the car, on the bottom pass. side of the radiator. It drains out the bottom of the rad., and if you just use a 1/4" socket driver, it only takes a quarter turn, and is pretty fragile, so don't over twist it.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:54 PM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacement type on left, original on right. Compliments of YO-EL.

Name:  raddrainplug.jpg
Views: 6463
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Vette Boy TN
Advanced

Default C4 Raditor Drain Plug

I just changed my coolant and my drain plug didn't look anything like those shown. Black and plastic it was thinner than a pencil and about halfway down there were 6 threads that screw in and out with a rubber like washer around the head to make a seal at the opening. It is located at the bottom passenger side facing backward inside an access hole. Worked OK but why plastic???
Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by JagTech
It's there, its the yellow/white plug on the lower right of the radiator. It looks kind of funny but it will twist out with a flat head screwdriver that is the right size.
Don't twist it out, just turn it 1/4 turn ccw.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When i did my WP/T-stat, on fill up i did fill the engine block via the top radiator hose, as well as the radiator. I did not have any problems bleeding the air out doing this. another guy i work with just filled the radiator when he did his and took a long time to get the air out. Just a helpfull tip. idle with the resivoir cap off and let car heat up and keep res filled.

If you Feel the radiator hose you will feel it get hot, that should help determine when the T-stat opens.
S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 03-01-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:01 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1/4" drive ratchet is all that's needed on a OEM vette. 1/4 turn and wiggle it out, turn it more and YOU WILL BREAK IT. Temp is usually stamped on the T-stat itself, you'll have to pull it to know 100% for sure what it is.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Thermostat temperature

just a point of reference- after warm-up, my cars temperature reads a steady 187 degrees on the digital readout which agrees with the target for the thermostat. I would guess that after driving your car for a half hour in light traffic, you could read your temperature on the digital screen and it should be very close to your thermostat's target.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
just a point of reference- after warm-up, my cars temperature reads a steady 187 degrees on the digital readout which agrees with the target for the thermostat. I would guess that after driving your car for a half hour in light traffic, you could read your temperature on the digital screen and it should be very close to your thermostat's target.
Any city driving will probably show coolant temps higher than the thermostat spec temp. A mellow drive on the highway at speed limit should make the digital coolant temp readout on the DIC read within a few degrees of the thermostat's spec temp.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Vet Boy
I just changed my coolant and my drain plug didn't look anything like those shown. Black and plastic it was thinner than a pencil and about halfway down there were 6 threads that screw in and out with a rubber like washer around the head to make a seal at the opening. It is located at the bottom passenger side facing backward inside an access hole. Worked OK but why plastic???

C4 Raditor Drain Plug

Not quite sure why you would expect a C4 drain plug to be the same or look like a C5 drain plug.

I agree with the others, why not plastic? You did say "it worked OK", right?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM
JBird11002
3rd Gear

Default Drain plug broken off inside

Originally Posted by cenzo
Replacement type on left, original on right. Compliments of YO-EL.

Attachment 48178347
My wife is a genius! She said put a bolt in it and hammer it out. It worked! See pic.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 AM
SKF engineer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I concur on the drain plug location and it's clear it's plastic.

Regarding why is it plastic, it is related to cost and it's also lightweight. For those that say it works I say, "yes, it works for a time" and as noted it's fragile. My comment is based on the fact that all of my cars that are over 10 years old have had a failure of the plastic side tank or the seal between the plastic side tank and the radiator core. It's something I've accepted and I believe that plastics do have a place in our cars but over time heat and vibration can be a source of concerns with plastic and our radiators are no exception.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Drain Plug - location?

Quick Reply: Radiator Drain Plug - location?