C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I FINALLY went with a different Torque Converter (pick yerself up off da floor)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 PM
mitchell c
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
For a moderate increase, I think this is a great combo. However, if money is not an issue, I would recommend 3.73 gears and a Yank SS3200. Drives just like stock until you drop the hammer. As long as you're going to the trouble of installing it yourself, might as well make a significant difference. You would not regret it.
Ed

I could not agree more. In fact with 3.73 gears the SS3600 would be extremely street freindly. I ran my 3.73 gears with a Yank ST3500 (nearly identical to the SS3600) for nearly 2 years before going to the Yank SS4000. The combo gave tremendous performance and had great street manners.

Last edited by mitchell c; 06-12-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by scarabgt
Great info on converters. Mike surely seams to have the right stall for his likes.

I am trying to keep my 97 C5 capable of being a DD while wanting the most I can get on the 1/8 mile track at the same time. Stock LS1 internals, Cold Air, Bassani X-Pipe & HF Cats, Borla Exhaust. All good improvements, then I bought 3.15's to replace the 2.73's and was talked into 3.42's before installing the 3.15's. I now like the 3.42's but used to like to brag on the great mileage the stock gears gave on the highway.

It is now trans and TC time! Dave at Yank once recommended the SS3200 and he is now recommending the SS3600 with the 3.42 gears. My tastes won't let me stay to conservative but I don't want to totally blow it as a true streat machine. Some of you have commented on the Yank being "tight" on the street. The SS3600 kind of scares me regarding true streetability. I calculate that 3400 stall would be my best for the 1/8 right now and I am considering a procharger next. The street side of me says 3200 max or 2800 better yet.

I would like to here more about true streetability from some with the experience.
Boy oh boy did I go back and forth on a stall for about a year. I finally decided to make the leap. I ended up going with the Yank SS3200 since I was told that the yank was tight. I have to say I couldn't be happier. Feels stock until you step on it! Driveability is outstanding. The only thing I really noticed is that when pulling into my garage, I probably have a 3 to 4 degree incline, I have to give it a little gas. With the stock converter it would slowly pull itself in without throttle. I do have 3:42 gears.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:41 AM
scarabgt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to here how much you like the 3200 I have researched this subject to death myself wanting to get the right stall to go with a new trans build (either PerformaBuilt or FLT). I believe I will go with the SS3200 also since the STR is 2.1 and It sounds like it will be great for cruzin and yet come on strong on demand. I have to get ready for Cruzin the Coast in Mississippi this year, just don't want the "Display of Speed" ticket like last year. I did not know you could get a ticket stated like that especially when you were not speeding (even though the back wheels were going faster than the front ones) The audience liked it as they were bringing money to the car to help pay for the ticket!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by csdunaway
I love it when want to play, but when I do my daily driving, it seems to slip too much at slow speeds. I am still learning that I should push my speed to 40 MPH to get the converter to lock up, then I can slow down a little.
I won't say that you should have gone Yank , however, don't forget that your tuner can adjust your converter lockup points. May be something to talk to him about if you're uncomfortable with where you're at.
Ed
Old 06-13-2009, 01:42 PM
mitchell c
Racer

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
I won't say that you should have gone Yank , however, don't forget that your tuner can adjust your converter lockup points. May be something to talk to him about if you're uncomfortable with where you're at.
Ed
:iagree

Sounds like you have trans tuning issues.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:10 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Per RPM Transmissions, you are to have the transmission programming left stock. They said all the tricks are in the transmission.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
mitchell c
Racer

Per RPM Transmissions, you are to have the transmission programming left stock. They said all the tricks are in the transmission.
The computer controls when the tranny shifts and how hard it shifts. At least that is how the Vettes I am familar with are set up.

Last edited by mitchell c; 06-13-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchell c
The computer controls when the tranny shifts and how hard it shifts. At least that is how the Vettes I am familar with are set up.
This is how most do it.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:12 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabgt
Sounds like you hit on a good stall speed for your purposes. Vigiliante is known for stalling 400 above rated, do yours stall at 2800 or 3200. Also, you mention better than 2.73's, what gears do you have, 3.42???
Yes, I wanted better acceleration. I was advised to get 3.42s and a vig3200 converter. I got RPM 3.42 gears and a vig 2800 2nd hand and also put on LG LT headers and an elite engineering insulated tunnel plate.

Originally Posted by kh400
Does this convertor have a lockup feature like the stock one? Thank you.
Yes, I see Mike already mentioned this but I wasn't sure if you meant the vig tc I had. My vigilante is a lockup tc. It's easy to verify.

I recently had to replace my A4, due to the stock one dying. I went with the RPM Stage VI+. I was also talked into replacing my diff, so I went with a new RPM 3.73, Level 3. While I was at it, I was talked into going with a stall; so I got the Vigalante 3-disc, 2600 stall. I love it when want to play, but when I do my daily driving, it seems to slip too much at slow speeds. I am still learning that I should push my speed to 40 MPH to get the converter to lock up, then I can slow down a little.
Sounds similar to how mine feels. If I had to do it over again, I'd get a Yank instead of a Vigilante. I may even change at some point.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:11 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Excellent info.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM
yobsmitty
Cruising

I am going to post a brand new hughes GM22LTOW on ebay tonight if interested... pm me if you'd prefer to save the ebay aggravation.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:43 PM
yobsmitty
Cruising

Default Check the parts for sale c5

Originally Posted by yobsmitty
I am going to post a brand new hughes GM22LTOW on ebay tonight if interested... pm me if you'd prefer to save the ebay aggravation.
Converter posted here too... Check for sale - c5 forum
Old 03-30-2017, 01:29 PM
MTV
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Transmission and T/C

Burned up my transmission with only 28,000 miles. Never dragged it ever, canyon carver with 342 rear, AFR heads and mild cam, under pully and external tranny cooler. it made 395 before I had to remove the LGs to pass smog, dyno tuned at about 375 now. Time for a tranny and converter.

RPM vs Gearstar Transmissions. Yank recommends Gearstar, supplies their T/C. Tranny and T/C are dynoed and sold as a package. Level 3 from them with a Yank SS3200. 6 month warranty vs 3 month RPM

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: I FINALLY went with a different Torque Converter (pick yerself up off da floor)