C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:25 PM
tac4005
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Headlight Issue

On occasion, for the last few weeks, the passenger side headlight doesn't pop up. After a couple of re-starts, it pops up and works for days (and nights). What should I do cause I'm not interested in getting pulled over at night with only one eye open!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:54 PM
JJ 86
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same problem but on mine the driver side doesn't pop up on from time to time. I'm curious as well as to what the solution may be.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM
flir_man
Intermediate

The motor has a plastic gear inside it that strips out over time. There are kits available that have bronze gears. Part of the R&R of the motor requires you to remove the lid that covers the head light assembly. When you reinstall the lid make sure that it does not rub on the hood, I seen that before.

Thanks,
flir_man
Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If its a stripped gear you'll get a grinding noise when the motor operates

Any noise?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:20 PM
tac4005
Intermediate

Default no noise

Originally Posted by DeeGee
If its a stripped gear you'll get a grinding noise when the motor operates

Any noise?

Nope, no noise. Just doesn't pop up...
Old 03-22-2018, 10:28 AM
ralee0047
8th Gear

Originally Posted by tac4005
On occasion, for the last few weeks, the passenger side headlight doesn't pop up. After a couple of re-starts, it pops up and works for days (and nights). What should I do cause I'm not interested in getting pulled over at night with only one eye open!
Have the same problem. Passenger pop-up but driver side intermittent
Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Default Pop up

I had the same problem for years in till a member told me I had to have higher then 13v which only happens at start up. So if I get caught in the rain while the cars been running awhile I only get one light to pop up. So I have to pull over turn the **** on the back of the light .You do this with the head light off. Turn it a couple of turn which ever way is the easiest to turn them turn it back. Then your light will work. I do this every time I get caught in the rain or night.i tried everything to fix this with no luck.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:45 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by tac4005
disconnect the motor and spray contact cleaner on both ends of the cable. If it dont work, then pull off that rubber boot from the dial and turn the **** a bit then power it on again.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:21 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by ralee0047
Have the same problem. Passenger pop-up but driver side intermittent
Originally Posted by helga203
I had the same problem for years... ...turn the **** on the back of the light... ...Then your light will work. I do this every time I get caught in the rain or night.i tried everything to fix this with no luck.
You might have damaged or missing bump stops. The way the headlights work is not based on predetermined positions. When the headlight doors open or close and they reach the end of their travel, they press against the corresponding pair of rubber bump stops. As a result the current through the headlight motors increases and that is sensed by the Headlight Door Control Module, which in turns cuts power to the motors.

If there are missing or damaged bump stops, the motor might keep working longer than really needed, which could result in over torque. If that happens, the next time the motor is operated it would require more torque to perform the action. That would mean more current than normal and the possible intervention of the Headlight Control Module, shutting again the motor before the door actually moves.

Having to manually relief the pressure in order for it to work is consistent with this.

I would check all rubber bump stops (4 per side) and if you need replacements you can order them from here.

Also, there is a TSB regarding them, that calls for shimming the driver's side motor.

Check the following pictures to see where they are located.

Last edited by GCG; 03-24-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Headlight Issue

Quick Reply: Intermittent Headlight Issue