C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal, Alarm, Blinking Dash Electrical Insanity

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
hunterhicks
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turn Signal, Alarm, Blinking Dash Electrical Insanity

Howdy folks, I have a weird one.
I'll give you as many details as I can- there is a lot of random things happening. The other difficult thing is that these problems are intermittent.

One day, my turn signal indicators started acting up.
One would stay on solid, even while not turning.
Then both stayed on solid.
(I think this happened when the parking lights were on, or headlights)
When I did use the turn signals, they went to 'fast blinking' indicating that there was a bad bulb. but there's more.

Then with the car running and parking lights and headlights off, (daytime) the dash, backlit door buttons, etc were flickering. Then I noticed a clicking sound in the pass. floor area- sounds like a relay gone wonky. if I turned the parking lights or headlights on, it'd stop flickering and clicking.

The hazards do a slow regular clicking sound- and, I hit/beat the crap out of the hazard switch like people say to do; so I don't think it's the hazard relay.

I took both turn signal/DRL bulbs out and it still did weird things. I then swapped them (L to R), and put them back in. Still weird- but now it seems that I don't have front turn signals at all. (fuse?)

here is the kicker- when I get out of the car and hit the lock on the key fob, the alarm goes off. usually. just great.

the only changes as of late are a fixed ABS module from www.absfixer.com.

I'm guessing yet another bad relay, or a fuse. I'm not guessing grounding, since I assume that each turn signal is grounded to different sides of the frame rail (could be wrong)

ideas, crew?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Random electrical faults are often caused by a bad battery. If its the original AC Delco you're already on borrowed time. Pull it and check for leaks in case you have acid leaks onto the computer.

The clicking relay in the passenger footwell is also a classic sign.

Swap out the battery and you'll almost certainly be fine.

Last edited by DeeGee; 06-28-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
hunterhicks
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Solution!

After much fiddlin' with the relays, fuses, etc I decided to recheck the front grounds. Now, I just redid them a year ago, ground them w/ a dremmel, and put dielectric grease on them- so they should have been fine for quite a while. I moved the mass of wires then a DRL came on... I said, "oh, I got you now boy"

so, another round of cleaning, and all is well.

I didn't suspect them since so many odd things were happening- the alarm, clicking relays, etc.

but just as everyone says, check 'em first. All you usually need to do is wiggle them and if they are at fault, they will show a 'sign'- a light will intermittently come on, etc.

Moral?

Check grounds.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal, Alarm, Blinking Dash Electrical Insanity

Quick Reply: Turn Signal, Alarm, Blinking Dash Electrical Insanity