C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front license plate cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
HLOOFCER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front license plate cover?

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forums for a bit and wasn't planning to post much, but I have a question for anyone that can help.

I need to remove my front license plate cover but I'm not sure how. I need to put my license plate there in its place. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about doing this?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:47 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default front LP cover

I think that there are 2 screws in the bottom of the "corvette" filler plate. Then you use the plastic "surround" plate (black) or spend a fortune for one painted the color of your car. BIGHANK
Old 07-05-2007, 10:06 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

The cover has tabs that hook into the bumper cover at the top with two phillips head screws at the bottom.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
The cover has tabs that hook into the bumper cover at the top with two phillips head screws at the bottom.
my state requires the front plate also, I guest pay the fine and keep moving
Old 07-05-2007, 02:37 PM
HLOOFCER
Intermediate

Okay it sounds easy enough. I guess I have to get under it to get in there. Next oil change. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by HLOOFCER
Okay it sounds easy enough. I guess I have to get under it to get in there. Next oil change. Thanks!
You don't have to get under it, the screws are right in front. Look closely at the space where the lower part of your bumper meets the fender; you'll see the two screws. It's a one minute job max!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Pictures helped me understand this...

Call me thick-headed, but I had the same problem as the original poster figuring this out. Here are some pictures that might help.

The first shows the cover from the top tab. The 2nd and 3rd pictures show the bottom area where two screws must be removed... only one screw pictured...

Old 12-22-2008, 04:54 PM
garygw
2nd Gear

OR you can pry off the cover and break the plastic tabs at the bottom like I did... Wish I had read this thread before doing so! At least I'm legal in Texas!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

On my own car I don't run the front plate even though we are supposed to in NJ. I never get stopped for it and neither do most Vette people here. For some unknown reason NJ LEO's are lenient when it comes to Vettes with no front plates, more don't have them than the ones that do. As a matter of fact it was a state trooper many years ago who told me it was alright and suggested I remove my front plate because it would look better.

Anyway, the point of my post was a suggestion for those who have to run it. There is a cover sold by several vendors that is clear but the same shape as the stock plate area cover. You can have your plate installed and with the cover installed the plate is still visible but you retain the smooth lines of the car. Also, you can paint it from the inside masking off a smaller visual of the plate to make the front look cleaner but still have the plate visible. If you post on here you can find several people who have done this. Until I removed the plate I had the clear cover over it.

One other point, you can mount the front plate and then reinstall the painted cover over it. It will fit together. Then, if you get stopped you pop off the cover and plead that you forgot to remove it after the last time you showed your car. You can use velcro to fasten it instead of screws to make it easier to remove. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
garygw
2nd Gear

Our local cops are notorious for enforcing the limits of the law....

The clear covers are cool looking...gotta check that out!

Thanks for all who post here. I've found this forum to be a great help.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
HawnHog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
On my own car I don't run the front plate even though we are supposed to in NJ. I never get stopped for it and neither do most Vette people here. For some unknown reason NJ LEO's are lenient when it comes to Vettes with no front plates, more don't have them than the ones that do. As a matter of fact it was a state trooper many years ago who told me it was alright and suggested I remove my front plate because it would look better.

Anyway, the point of my post was a suggestion for those who have to run it. There is a cover sold by several vendors that is clear but the same shape as the stock plate area cover. You can have your plate installed and with the cover installed the plate is still visible but you retain the smooth lines of the car. Also, you can paint it from the inside masking off a smaller visual of the plate to make the front look cleaner but still have the plate visible. If you post on here you can find several people who have done this. Until I removed the plate I had the clear cover over it.

One other point, you can mount the front plate and then reinstall the painted cover over it. It will fit together. Then, if you get stopped you pop off the cover and plead that you forgot to remove it after the last time you showed your car. You can use velcro to fasten it instead of screws to make it easier to remove. Good luck!
This is exactly what I did. Got a clear cover (2 actually). On one I taped the inside to mask of the area the plate would be seen from the front and then pained the surrounding area to match the color of my car. On the other I cut out the center portion instead of masking it off ans then painted the inside border. I then lined the remaining edge of the cut out portion with door rubber edging material. Next step was to alumiun rain gutter screen; cut to fit and glue it in place. Toss the screws that hold the cover in place and replace with velcro. I now have THREE covers. Factory; clear; screened.

I'll try and take some pictures and post them later.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Arizona we don't run a front plate. There is nothing uglyer than a Corvette with a front license plate messing up that beautiful front end. We also heve some pretty liberal hand gun laws here. Open carry of a loaded pistol is allowed as well as concealed carry with an 8 hour training program and fingerprinting. AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY !!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 PM
DAV162
Drifting

Originally Posted by tramminc
my state requires the front plate also, I guest pay the fine and keep moving
Mine too
Old 12-23-2008, 05:10 PM
HawnHog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My License Plate Covers

Here's what I did to cover my front plate (also illegal in Hawaii):

Name:  Vette001.jpg
Views: 4672
Size:  15.2 KB

W/the velco:

Name:  Vette006.jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  34.5 KB

And on the car:

Name:  Vette015.jpg
Views: 2613
Size:  19.2 KB

Three to choose from and if a LEO complains...; Shoots! I forgot to take it off after the "show" officer...

Last edited by HawnHog; 12-23-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
dachevy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Yes, I took mine off the other day carefully....a couple of tabs on top and two small screws on the bottom.... Have a great Holiday da chevy
Old 12-23-2008, 07:20 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of using the two little screws, I just put on about a 5" piece of 1/2 in. velcro along the bottom of the cover for quick and easy access.................'cause I have my front lic. plate attached where it's supposed to be, in case I get stopped...even though technically it's not "showing". Oh well!!!

Merry Xmas!!

This pic also shows my smoothie cover which is velcro'd on. I've got alot of my pics in "My Corvette Photos"!

Last edited by fixvet; 12-23-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

The clear cover with paint looks like this:

The following users liked this post:
johnanthonyhome (07-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Removing front license plate cover?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue 92
The clear cover with paint looks like this:
That looks good, and that's what I plan to do if I get bugged by the local LEO's. Good job!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by fixvet
That looks good, and that's what I plan to do if I get bugged by the local LEO's. Good job!
Thanks. I stole the idea from another forum member that's currently "on vacation."

In Ohio my plate cover can be considered illegal. Our law is written so that it's more or less left up to the LEO whether or not it "obscures" the plate.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fixvet
Instead of using the two little screws, I just put on about a 5" piece of 1/2 in. velcro along the bottom of the cover for quick and easy access.................'cause I have my front lic. plate attached where it's supposed to be, in case I get stopped...even though technically it's not "showing". Oh well!!!

Merry Xmas!!

This pic also shows my smoothie cover which is velcro'd on. I've got alot of my pics in "My Corvette Photos"!

Where did you get the smooth cover? Is it a painted clear one?

Quick Reply: Removing front license plate cover?