C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Big Ron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement

The right front turn signal bulb has burned out and I need to replace it. I haven't had chance to take a look at how involved this is. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm hoping I don't have to remove half of the front end just to replace a light bulb.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

You can access it by removing the right front cover under the pass side bumper cover. It is directly behind the RF chin spoiler. Once you remove this cover, you can access the DRL/TURN/PARKING lamp.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:51 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You'll get three suggestions

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

The one that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

10 minute job.

The bulb is a 4157NA

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Point & Shoot
Racer

While you're at it, change both and you won't have to worry about them again for a while.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Nitro Junkie
Burning Brakes

These bulbs point upwards, and the heat causes the housing to crack above the bulb. Once it is cracked, they will start blowing when they get wet (yes, I drive in the rain). There is a opening in the frame right above the housing where the crack appears. When I changed mine last, I globbed RTV in this space to seal the cracks. Haven't had a blown lamp since.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I go through the access panel underneeth.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried going through the headlight area and no way is that possible with my larger hands. My left bulb just goes out every once in a while and is on most of the time. Not worth changing it yet till it actually goes out for good.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM
tom macie
Heel & Toe

just changed rf parking light wasnt easy the [B]BIG THING TO REMEMBER[B] is to squeeze the release tab!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM
hdboomer
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Change turn signal bulb

I tried going through the front brake duct, didn't work for me,
I remove the black plastic 3 phillips screws, still to hard, removed the top painted cover, 4 torx screws, ahhhhh how easy is that. my preferred way. Ya find the little tab to squeeze, it squeezes very easy. Ya change both while you are doing this. Look at the picture of the bulb socket and the tab to squeeze.

When you remove the top painted cover, you don't need to have the headlights in the up position.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:08 PM
bthollow
Advanced

hdboomer--I should have read down to your post; probably would have made the change a snap. As it is I used the remove headlight surround method and found (with the hood up) I could see the target and squeeze and contort one arm in there to get to and remove the bulb housing. Getting the existing bulb out and the replacement in (with one hand) was a trick but managed to get it done, checked to make sure it lighted properly when turn signal activated, then played touchy/feely with the housing to eventually get it seated properly. All told was a 15-minute job but would have taken a mere 5 minutes if I had the arms of a 10 year old
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did yesterday, (fast signal on the dash). It was the front right DUEL bulb (3157 I think). So I did what I've done in the past, went to O'Reilly and got two sets of each bulbs for both front right & left. My logic is since one bulb blew the other if replaced at the same time will also have the same amount of hours, figure do them both so I don't play that back and forth replace game.. I found the best approach is through the bottom:

First:
1. Jack up car and support front up with jack stands or wheel ramps (I used ramps).
2. Remove lower plastic panels directly under in front of the front wheels behind corner spoilers. 5 screws, real easy here. (you may have to move the front brake duct tube a little or just work around it)
don't forget to pinch the plastic to unscrew the bulb socket, it's a bi*&h..
3. Reach in and unplug the larger bulb housing with the duel element (Amber 3157), replace and re-install.
4. Remove the smaller side light (197) and swap and re-install
5. Replace and test lights... Only took about 30 mins.. Not to bad..

Good luck.... There is a picture of the process for removing it in this forum,
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-burnouts.html

Last edited by Jesse Asis; 06-04-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

It's a 2 min job. I stick my hands in through the front air vents

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement