C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wisconsin state troopers radar....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
And if it is not ON .... how does the detector "detect" it .....

If you think your detector is protecting you from "instant on" radar ... you are living in a dream world .....

Usually the first time a radar detector tells you an "instant on" gun is in use is when it just clocked you ....

Hello , cops are stupid, but they are smarter than you are ... they can/will beat you at this game ..... "instant on" radar is very difficult to beat ....
I would agree with you on your basic assertion that detectors do not "protect" you from in speeding situation when getting "hit" by instant on radar, but that of course assumes someone is speeding in the first place and needs "protection".
Point is: All radar detectors detect instant on radar when it's activated, but if someone is not speeding, then who cares?
Like you, I looked at 11sec_C5Z51's post and thought the same thing at first, but the more I thought about it (plus looking at his avatar ) I got to thinking that maybe he was just being a little facetious. I mean, if his avatar truly is indicative of his occupation, he might just be having a little fun with us here and very possibly carries a "get out of jail free" card in his wallet when off duty ( sometimes called a badge). Not positive, just a thought.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VASCAR its a timing system they have it in their cars or they had the plane up! The frequencies of the radar vary through out the state from K to Ka to X and laser.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM
MAR2001
Heel & Toe

Kind of funny hearing you all talk about my home town and our big brother!

Although I'm unsure of State Troopers here... I live in Madison AND my big brother is a Dane County Sheriff (Madison area)! The city of Mad with county colabortaion at times (is my understanding) do traffic sweeps (don't know what it's really called) where there's predetermined "speed reduction zones". The City/County this last summer recieved grants for the speed reduction plan/zones. Again, as I understand part of it IS laser, on/off, and their huge presence slows us down - litterally reports on local TV where the zones will be that day/week. Usually I90/94 is good for cruising "safely" at 75 up to 80 without consequnce. BUT when they choose to implement that weeks' speed reduction plan, you'll get a heavy ticket if stopped. I was lucky enough to get $156 prize for going 79 in a 65 this last summer and 4 points to boot...
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's only a matter of time before sombody says: "to hell with the clearcoat and zaino, I want R.A.M."
Old 10-31-2007, 04:21 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

tells me he's taking me to jail unless I can pay the fine on the spot .... I ive him my VISA card, he radios in my VISA card data ... I am not kidding ....
What kind of backwoods BS is that? There should be a law against that. Are they too stupid or poor of a county to mail tickets/fines through the mail? And people wonder why cops get shot and people hate em....

I would have called my cc company after and disputed the charge and refused to pay it.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:48 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by briann510
What kind of backwoods BS is that? There should be a law against that. Are they too stupid or poor of a county to mail tickets/fines through the mail? And people wonder why cops get shot and people hate em....

I would have called my cc company after and disputed the charge and refused to pay it.
That is not only very legal but also not uncommon in more rural or small towns around the U.S. You can lawfully be arrested in most ANY jurisdiction for most traffic violations. The issuing of a ticket and letting you sign is a policy most everyone uses for obvious and good reasons, but legally they don't HAVE to.
Think about it OK? If you ran a small town/jurisdiction and cited a non-resident or out of state driver for a traffic violation, do you REALLY think they will come back for trial if you just let them sign the ticket (which is a "promise" to appear or pay) and go on their merry way. Yeah, right.
They many times will either a.) let you pay on the spot or b.) pay a cash bond in order to assure you will either come back to face trial or pay the complete fine later (usually credited against the bond amount).
Yeah, you're right. Pretty stupid people huh? Good reason for people to shoot cops too, huh?
Get a grip.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Well I guess I just don't travel though Bo and Luke's backwoods counties to encounter this sort of police habit.

I do have a grip and my statement stands.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Well I guess I just don't travel though Bo and Luke's backwoods counties to encounter this sort of police habit.

If you think this is a policy limited to "Bo and Luke's backwoods counties" (aka rural southern areas I guess), you've got some real surprises in store.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
CH.CRAFT
Instructor

Originally Posted by bucwheat
This is why I always drive with a front door at least a half mile ahead of me,when the radar clocks him, my passport picks it up. Just wait for someone to pass you let them get half mile ahead then match his speed,just watch behind you.
YOU JUST HAVE TO HOPE IT'S NOT A COP IN HIS PERSONAL VEHICLE.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

No actually YOU DON'T have a Grip ..... otherwise you would see the logic of what the COP did. If he issued a ticket to an out of state person and that person failed to pay the ticket - The county recourse is to issue a warrant for that person's arrest. The only major problem is that the warrant will not be enforced unless that person is stopped by another COP and I'm not even sure an "IN-STATE" warrant for a traffic ticket is even passed "OUT-OF-STATE". This is not just something rural either - State COPS can and will do the same thing. This officer's county is willing to take credit card information - though broadcasting the number over unsecured Police frequencies does disturb me a bit. But how many of us carry huge amounts of cash on us when we travel? I don't I carry maybe $150.00 and use credit or debit cards for gas/hotel bills.
I for one don't hate COPs, they are out there doing a tough job and risking their lives to mostly protect and to serve and to stop idiots from doing 100+ in 65 mph zone.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
painkiller
Instructor

[QUOTE=BlackZ06;1562513100]They ain't stupid ... they wait several minutes between using the gun, and they find places to sit (like the bottom of a hill) where the signal they are sending out is not easily picked up by detectors beyond the hill.

Radar detectors are useful, but they don't guarantee you will get away with speeding .....

I flew into Chicago on business a while ago ... and the plane out of SFO was WAY late ... so when I arrive my last connection into Madison WI was long gone. UAL offers me a free hotel in Chicago but the morning flight into Madison will get me there much later than the start of the meeting I'm flying in for.

So I grab a rental car and head off to Madison. At first I'm doing like 65 MPH with the cruise control set, but after an hour or so (it is now like 2 in the morning) I'm falling asleep and there is no one on the road ...

So I'm bumping up the cruise control from 65 to 70 to 80 to finally 90. I come over a hill, it is pitch dark in every direction (I'm somewhere in the middle of Wisconsin farm country) and suddenly I've got cop lights behind me .....

He was a local sheriff ... sitting to the side of the road, and he had me nailed with his radar gun. He pulls me over, sees my out of state drivers license, and tells me he's taking me to jail unless I can pay the fine on the spot .... I ive him my VISA card, he radios in my VISA card data ... I am not kidding .... and as I'm signing the VISA card receipt and ticket this MF local yocal has the audacity to tell me to "protect" my credit card data ... after he has just broadcast my info across who knows how many counties ....

Again, as far as I'm concerned ... LEOs are tax collectors protected by a gun and a badge ....

I totally agree with you.This is why we have so many rediculus laws on the books.
They are are income streams sanctioned by these local and state jurisdictions. The LEO's-wether they know or not- are primarily there to protect these interests- not the citizens. Drivers beware!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Dont forget about the radar detector detectors that the cops also have like the Spectre.
They detect you coming down the road with your radar detector spewing signals towards them so they know you are looking for cops. Thats when they like to hit you with the instant on and nail you.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Is it possible they were preoccupied with fighting over the last doughnut and didn't notice you go by? :bb
Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

And if it is not ON .... how does the detector "detect" it .....

If you think your detector is protecting you from "instant on" radar ... you are living in a dream world .....

Usually the first time a radar detector tells you an "instant on" gun is in use is when it just clocked you ....

Hello , cops are stupid, but they are smarter than you are ... they can/will beat you at this game ..... "instant on" radar is very difficult to beat ....

If my memory has not completely failed me, I do recall that even though such a radar gun is considered "instant on", in reality it is "on" all the time...just not up to full power.

There are two IF stages in the circuit and each stage has its one identifying signal frequency. A driver has to be pretty darn close to "detect" it, but it can be done if the radar detector has the capability of reading both the 1st IF stage as well as the 2nd IF stage...but by then, it's probably too late for the speeder anyway.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by knowledgefreak
So tell me again why you would speed anywhere into something blind?

First rule of speed club never speed at the top of a hill

Second rule never be the lone car with a large distance between you and cars behind you.

third rule... i can not tell you

You got it brother. Safety in numbers, ever see a wolf kill sheep who are in the middle. Always the one in front or the back.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 PM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gpracer1
Dont forget about the radar detector detectors that the cops also have like the Spectre.
They detect you coming down the road with your radar detector spewing signals towards them so they know you are looking for cops. Thats when they like to hit you with the instant on and nail you.
WI doesn't have those!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few obvious misconceptions here. First--there are no radar detectors that are "instant on" radar detectors. If you are the only one he is targeting, you are toast, even with the best detector. Driving with a Valentine, you get used to picking up instant on radar by picking up blips of the cars shot way ahead of you and becoming familiar with it.

Second---you have no hope against a laser radar. By the time you pick it up, you have already been caught. The key here is that laser cannot be shot from a moving car, only by a stationary unit, usually on a bridge and well hidden, such as shooting from an overpass BETWEEN signs. You cannot even see them. The laser target is very small, and thus very effective, and thus not prone to being widely dispersed and picked up.

Third---you have very little hope with an good pilot/trooper. You will be caught, as I have, and never know how they got you.

The key in all this is to NEVER be the fastest traveling car, don't, weave or drive wrecklessly, and don't think you are immune to being caught, even with the best detector. If you drive enough, you will periodically get caught over the years. I find that detectors keep down on the tickets for times when you are not paying attention, which is often, especially drinking coffee, talking on the phone(bluetooth), etc.

Lastly, a majority of people have very little chance in court against the word of a police officer, like it or not. ITS ALL a game in the end, as police officers are among the biggest speeders of them all, since they figure they are entitled, and can get out of it. Firefighters too. I am sorry of there are offended officers, etc. but it is definitely the truth.

Go Valentine!

Get notified of new replies

To Wisconsin state troopers radar....

Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I've driven wrecklessly the past 20+ yeas...and proud of it.

I rarely drive recklessly though.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
There are a few obvious misconceptions here. First--there are no radar detectors that are "instant on" radar detectors. If you are the only one he is targeting, you are toast, even with the best detector. Driving with a Valentine, you get used to picking up instant on radar by picking up blips of the cars shot way ahead of you and becoming familiar with it.

Second---you have no hope against a laser gun. By the time you pick it up, you have already been caught. The key here is that laser cannot be shot from a moving car, only by a stationary unit, usually on a bridge and well hidden, such as shooting from an overpass BETWEEN signs. You cannot even see them. The laser target is very small, and thus very effective, and thus not prone to being widely dispersed and picked up.

Third---you have very little hope with an good pilot/trooper. You will be caught, as I have, and never know how they got you.

The key in all this is to NEVER be the fastest traveling car, don't, weave or drive wrecklessly, and don't think you are immune to being caught, even with the best detector. If you drive enough, you will periodically get caught over the years. I find that detectors keep down on the tickets for times when you are not paying attention, which is often, especially drinking coffee, talking on the phone(bluetooth), etc.

Lastly, a majority of people have very little chance in court against the word of a police officer, like it or not. ITS ALL a game in the end, as police officers are among the biggest speeders of them all, since they figure they are entitled, and can get out of it. Firefighters too. I am sorry of there are offended officers, etc. but it is definitely the truth.

Go Valentine!

There fixed it for ya. There's no such thing as "laser radar".
You do make some valid points here.
Oh yeah BTW, at approx. 1000', the laser beam is approx. 3' wide.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 11-01-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 90Z51
It's possible they were just sitting there. They could have been using laser too.
but my beltronic has caught the off/on laser troopers

Quick Reply: Wisconsin state troopers radar....