C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"burping" the cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 PM
JustForFun
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "burping" the cooling system

Can someone direct me to a post on how to bleed air fromt eh cooling system?

thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM
PFMC3
Instructor

I never had to do mine i just got engine up to temp to open the thermostat. Opened the coolent tank while engine running and added more dexcool.
Becareful opeing cap.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Rev car up to 3,000 rpm, then idle, until you reach 210 F, then open cap (bleed off pressure first) and fill up overflow tank. May have to do up to 3 times.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:44 PM
JustForFun
Burning Brakes

just ended up buying a snapon vacufill.....ill let y aall know how it works
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Changed mine twice ,never had to BURP it!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So I tossed a water pump in my 99 FRC. I didn't think to look here for any proper process. I made the assumption that the car would drink up a couple gallons of coolant/distilled water, I'd run it, the level would drop, and I'd add more.

Well, I topped it off, put the cap on (first mistake?) ran it, and watched. The level never went down. The temp got up to 200. The fans didn't come on. Also, the hose coming off of the new 190 thermostat never got hot. All the other hoses did.

So, I came here and poked around. And honestly, after reading a few threads, I don't know where to start over. Suggestions? Hell, maybe I just didn't let it run hot enough.

S.C.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Take a look

https://www.google.com/search?q=C5+%...hrome&ie=UTF-8
The following users liked this post:
scottcolbath (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:57 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrprich
Yeah, I did that. But I wonder since I didn't start at the beginning as per any variety of these procedures, where I am now.

I just went for a test ride. The car ran at around 196-201 during the drive of about five miles, after it was already warm. It never got warmer. But I still wonder about the hose coming off the thermostat. It never seemed to get hot. But.......The fans were on, and they blow air directly at the hose. Now, even though it's warm radiator air, maybe it still has a cooling effect on the hose. Hell, I don't know. Just a guess.

Also, the car had a 165 thermostat in it when I got it. I never had an issue tossing in a 190, thinking that the car is just going to run as warm as they do, when they do. And I've never seen any of these C5s running at 160-anything. So I'd assume all a 165 thermostat will do is keep your running temp a little cooler, for a little longer, eventually getting up to whatever your normal is. And that seems to be in the 190+ range.

All that being said, I now wonder (assuming all things are OK with the car at this point), if the 190 may be the reason I see the warmer temps, and also that it didn't overheat. Or, maybe I just didn't say out long enough to allow the car to overheat. I just don't know.

S.C.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

its a pita ... best tool i ever bought bleed out cars in like 5 mins

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G
The following users liked this post:
grasshopper645 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-.../dp/B0002SRH5G
I like the idea of this, does it just hook up to a standard air compressor or something?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:03 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-.../dp/B0002SRH5G
How exactly does this work?

S.C.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
I like the idea of this, does it just hook up to a standard air compressor or something?
Originally Posted by scottcolbath
How exactly does this work?

S.C.
yup hooks up to compressor u stick the thing in the coolant resivour ( like how a vette doesnt have an open radiator)

use the proper adaptor and it seals, connect compressor, open valve it draws about 25-26 lbs of vacuum on the system, u then close the valve

change the adaptor from the air hose one to the fill one which u then put in a jug of coolant , and open valve it starts filling the system , u have to stop when it gets towards the bottom so you dont suck in air, then refill jug keep going when it gets to 0 vacuum in theory the system is 100% good

I still let them run a little outside with the cap off just because i dont want any issues with my customers getting a car back with an air pocket.

but in like 5 mins in theory the system is filled and bled and u can drive away capped.

if it looses vacuum it means there is a leak somewhere in the coolant system.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

yup hooks up to compressor u stick the thing in the coolant resivour ( like how a vette doesnt have an open radiator)

use the proper adaptor and it seals, connect compressor, open valve it draws about 25-26 lbs of vacuum on the system, u then close the valve

change the adaptor from the air hose one to the fill one which u then put in a jug of coolant , and open valve it starts filling the system , u have to stop when it gets towards the bottom so you dont suck in air, then refill jug keep going when it gets to 0 vacuum in theory the system is 100% good

I still let them run a little outside with the cap off just because i dont want any issues with my customers getting a car back with an air pocket.

but in like 5 mins in theory the system is filled and bled and u can drive away capped.

if it looses vacuum it means there is a leak somewhere in the coolant system.
Pretty slick, but I'm past that point now, unless I drain, buy the tool, and start over.

S.C.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Update. The car runs now, consistently in the 199-205 range, no matter what. I don't consider that a problem. Before, the car would run in the 180 range on cold mornings in Phoenix, and as the day warmed up, so did the operating temp.

So, it's all good.

S.C.

Get notified of new replies

To "burping" the cooling system

Quick Reply: "burping" the cooling system