C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima yellow top / winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 04:55 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Optima yellow top / winter storage?

Given all the horror stories out there about the GM stock battery, I recently replaced (and just in time, I might add) my battery with an Optima yellow top battery. Well, now it's time to put the C5 asleep till Easter. So, because the yellow top is a deep cycle battery, can I just leave the battery connected over the winter? Will the battery be dead come Easter bunny time? If the battery is dead and I recharge it, will there be any harm done?

Because my C5 is stored in an unattended garage over the winter, I'm reluctant to leave it on a battery tender (I don't think it's a good idea to leave something plugged in for long periods of time unattended.)

[Modified by 98-C5, 2:56 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 04:58 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default Re: Optima yellow top / winter storage? (98-C5)

98-C5,

When dealing with the Optima Yellow Top, you can discharge it and then discharge it as many times as you want without damaging it. It is a deep cycle heavy duty battery that is designed for that type of use.

If the battery dies, simply jump the car and drive it for at least 30 minutes. This will recharge the battery back up to 100% power.

If you want to disconnect the negative battery terminal so you don't come back to a dead battery, that is entirely up to your discretion.

Shawn
Old 11-20-2001, 09:03 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Default Re: Optima yellow top / winter storage? (L.A.P.D.)

Shawn.........Thanks for the info and the great deal on the yellow top.

I think I'll leave the battery connected and, if the battery is dead in the spring, I'll put a charger on it for a few minuets.

[Modified by 98-C5, 9:44 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 11:33 PM
01Pewter
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
CI-X Auto-X Champ (street tires)
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner

I thought that I once heard that a discharged battery could be frozen. Could the freezing electrolyte split the battery? I do not know.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:41 AM
PawlRevere2
Instructor

Default Re: Optima yellow top / winter storage? (01Pewter)

your battery will be dead. there are many computer type modules that use small amounts of power (ie the radio uses ~1mA), so there is a continueal drain on the battery. check your owners manual for recommendations.

a dead battery can freeze and damage the cells.

so charge the battery every 2-3 weeks. or do what i do, when the roads are clear, and free from salt ... drive that baby ...
Old 11-21-2001, 10:17 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Default Re: Optima yellow top / winter storage? (PawlRevere2)

PawlRevere2.............Thanks for your input.

Shawn...........Any further thoughts here?
Old 11-21-2001, 10:25 AM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Optima yellow top / winter storage? (PawlRevere2)

The Battery tender is intended to be used for long term storage. The Motorcycle guys use them all the time and I never heard of anyone ever having A problem. You can leave the battery on charge and not have to worry about it overcharging or damaging anything. I have also sold the tenders to people with boats that leave them on for 6 months at A time with no problems. Just make sure you get the regular Battery Tender,(NOT THE JUNIOR MODEL) and not A look alike. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Old 11-21-2001, 12:24 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I bought my Optima yellow top, the protective clear wrap was dusty so it had been sitting on the shelf for some time. It was charged according to my digital multimeter, so I tried it and it started the car without further charging. I now just disconnect it in the winter and don't touch the car until driving it in the spring. Last winter the car started right up without charging. Make sure you know and write down the radio security code before disconnecting the battery.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:50 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

98-C5,

With Optima batteries, you don't have to worry about the cells freezing as they are designed for all climate conditions. With a conventional lead acid battery, you should be concerned, but Optima batteries are not your average lead acid battery. They are a non-spillable, non-corrosive gel cell.

Inside this unusual battery is a six-pack of SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY®. Traditional batteries have a stack of thick lead plates surrounded by acid. But OPTIMA® batteries feature two thin lead plates wound into a tight spiral cell, with an absorbent glass-mat in between to hold the electrolyte solution.This unique design allows for more power and increased energy, resulting in quick, reliable starts. OPTIMA batteries are the first and only batteries to feature SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY.

It'll last up to 3 times longer than other batteries.
It can sit unused 3 times longer than other batteries.
It is 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.
It's nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.
It provides constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

Get notified of new replies

To Optima yellow top / winter storage?

Quick Reply: Optima yellow top / winter storage?