C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle after throttle body install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle after throttle body install

I installed a polished ls1 throttle body a few days ago and ever since the install, I have had a high idle at start up. The idle sits at about 1100 n initial startup and stays there for around 15 seconds then drops back down into the 600 range.Anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix this?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 PM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

who ported it? They may of ported too far down in where the blade has to seal against the housing. I have seen this before. It's not so bad on the F body throttle bodys because they have an IAC to control the idle but on the vettes it's controled by the blade. If it's cut down at the blade too much it will do what you are describing.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Vengeance Racing did the polishing.They also didn't port it out around the blade area.When I initially asked for work to be done, they make sure I knew that there was not any actual porting done but just a polish and a port in front of the blade but not actually where the blade is touching the throttle body edges for the reasons you have described.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

The problem you describe can also be linked to some sort of air leak. The leak would be in between the backside of the MAF and the manifold. Did you also verify the PCV was installed and sealed? Make sure your clamps are all tight, and there is no air gaps.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
The problem you describe can also be linked to some sort of air leak. The leak would be in between the backside of the MAF and the manifold. Did you also verify the PCV was installed and sealed? Make sure your clamps are all tight, and there is no air gaps.
even if it was an air leak, why does it only hit 1100 only on start up but when I reach lights it stays around 600?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

There is a procedure outlined in the shop manual for an idle relearn, which you should try. It's different depending on whether you have an automatic or manual trans. I don't remember the entire procedure, but if you don't have the manual, maybe someone else will be able to direct you to where you may find the info. That will probably fix your problem.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

This is common with a ported throttle body. As I understand it, when you turn the key the throttle blade closes and then opens to a fix angle that is set by the PCM. When you start, the PCM will then correct the idle speed. Now that you ported your TB, the fixed angle will allow in more air and therefore you initial startup RPM will increase. I have had several ported TB's, some have had this issue worse than others. Mark Shaner did one for me that was real bad and he took it back to provide to someone who had a monster cam and needed the extra air on startup. What he told me was mine had a lot of voids and to smooth it out he had to remove a little more than he normally does.

I think what you are seeing is normal with a ported TB based on my experience.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
This is common with a ported throttle body. As I understand it, when you turn the key the throttle blade closes and then opens to a fix angle that is set by the PCM. When you start, the PCM will then correct the idle speed. Now that you ported your TB, the fixed angle will allow in more air and therefore you initial startup RPM will increase. I have had several ported TB's, some have had this issue worse than others. Mark Shaner did one for me that was real bad and he took it back to provide to someone who had a monster cam and needed the extra air on startup. What he told me was mine had a lot of voids and to smooth it out he had to remove a little more than he normally does.

I think what you are seeing is normal with a ported TB based on my experience.
This is true but it can be adjusted!

there is a set AIR DEMAND for a stock TB and it will need to be adjusted at the PCM.

With the larger TB it still has the same demand for air so you will need your tuner or if you have HP Tuners you can reset the idle/start up air demand and this will give you a proper start up!

It's what I had to do! So you do not have an air leak anywhaere just a calibration adjustment!

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

A battery disconnect/reconnect wouldn't fix this though would it?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
This is true but it can be adjusted!

there is a set AIR DEMAND for a stock TB and it will need to be adjusted at the PCM.

With the larger TB it still has the same demand for air so you will need your tuner or if you have HP Tuners you can reset the idle/start up air demand and this will give you a proper start up!

It's what I had to do! So you do not have an air leak anywhaere just a calibration adjustment!

Thanks,Matt
time to do another planned mod so you could kill two birds with one stone and get it retuned.

Get notified of new replies

To High idle after throttle body install

Quick Reply: High idle after throttle body install