C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is almost on all HONDA fluids! and I love it :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Gawd isnt that the truth...

Its pretty funny guys knock a manufacturer that produces cars that last 5-6 times that of a GM vehicle.

Not to mention that HONDA is the motor supplier for more than a few GM vehicles.
The only thing that make a corvette what it is today, is the 70y/o men who buy them.
have proof?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Its pretty funny guys knock a manufacturer that produces cars that last 5-6 times that of a GM vehicle.

Not to mention that HONDA is the motor supplier for more than a few GM vehicles.
The only thing that make a corvette what it is today, is the 70y/o men who buy them.
Don't YOU drive a Vette?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

My only concern would be the lower viscosity at temperature and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with the 20 weight without some type of before/after testing to see if my wear metals increased. There was a lot of skepticism when Ford and Honda first went to 5W-20 on the motors, but the oil analyses over on BITOG have bore out the fact that for the motors that this oil was recommended for by the manufacturer, the wear metals in the used oil were pretty good. However, the Vette has a different recommendation from the manufacturer and the car is modified as well so I would have taken a different approach and done some testing especially in light of the high copper content in the used oil that the LSx engines are famous for (cam bearings).

Of more interest perhaps is the number of people using the Honda ATF in their tranny's. That one has me curious as to what is different about the oil (and who is actually making it) such that it actually shifts that much better.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Twospeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is getting really wierd. I'm surprised this post lasted so long. Anyway, you can take your car to rehab, to make it well again substance abuse is a common problem today. Yeah I know what you said and I care how much HP yor car has.
Now as far as this guy goes:
"Its pretty funny guys knock a manufacturer that produces cars that last 5-6 times that of a GM vehicle.

The only thing that make a corvette what it is today, is the 70y/o men who buy them."

What can you say..... He doesn't even write in english,,,, the only thing that make a corvette.....
Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You ever heard of someone yanking someones chain?

I have 9 vehicles. I use different brands of oil, tires, gas etc for all of them. If there was 1 oil brand, tire brand gasoline better than all the others id be using that specific brand in/on all of my vehicles.

I do however only use air from my home compressor for all my tires as its the best!

Last edited by briann510; 12-05-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

i'm guessing the poster is a tech or sales at a honda store, free oil, i'd use it
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Personally I don't care if you pee in your crankcase. As long as you don't pee in mine!Use what you want and good luck with whatever that is....but it is looking like this thread is getting a bit rough....my opinion.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

You don't really believe that, do you? I have a buddy who has been a mechanic at the local Toyota dealership for the last 12 years. He told me that their service department is booked every day. I told him that doesn't make sense because Toyotas are suppose have much higher quality than American cars. He told me to take a day, and visit any honda, toyota, nissan, etc service department, and you will find their sevice bays are full doing repairs every day.

I guess my family has just been lucky with GM. My mom's 86 Tornado tranny finally went out at 287,000, and my dad is still driving his 93 Bravada with 201,000. I'm getting ready to turn 100,000 on my 2000 Silverado Z71, and it's just been a great vehicle. My neighbor's Tundra has been in the shop 5 times in the last 2 years. He is soo frustrated with it, he's trading it in for a GMC. So does that mean that Toyota trucks suck?, not even, he just got a problem vehicle. It can happen to anyone, any make, any year.

My family has purchased nothing buy GM vehicles since 1947. That being said, I find no fault with anyone who solely purchases imports. A lot of people that remember the dark years in the 70's and early 80's are jaded due to their experiences with American cars. Quality was at an all time low, and the damn things just rusted away in no time. It was a sad chapter for American auto makers, and they lost a lot of business as a result of it. Things have changed dramatically over the last 15 years. While imports make a vehicle that is reliable, and full of nice gagets, they have never produced anything as cool as a 57 Chevy, a 67 Vette, or a C5. I believe, with a few exceptions (supra, NSX, 300Z), that asian automakers have constently missed the mark when it comes to performace cars. Not only in style, but in that classic V8 rumble that puts you back in you seat when you nail it.

I think the Corvette is certainly what it is, due to it's unique style, sound, and character. There are many more components that make a vette, more than just the 70 year old guys driving them. There is nothing else in the world like them, and I'll always have one in my garage.

Last edited by lucky131969; 12-05-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

almost at a full 1000 views, never did I think I would get this much heat and death threats to my life over some oil All you guys are great even the ku-ku onces.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by lucky131969
You don't really believe that, do you? I have a buddy who has been a mechanic at the local Toyota dealership for the last 12 years. He told me that their service department is booked every day. I told him that doesn't make sense because Toyotas are suppose have much higher quality than American cars. He told me to take a day, and visit any honda, toyota, nissan, etc service department, and you will find their sevice bays are full doing repairs every day.

I guess my family has just been lucky with GM. My mom's 86 Tornado tranny finally went out at 287,000, and my dad is still driving his 93 Bravada with 201,000. I'm getting ready to turn 100,000 on my 2000 Silverado Z71, and it's just been a great vehicle. My neighbor's Tundra has been in the shop 5 times in the last 2 years. He is soo frustrated with it, he's trading it in for a GMC. So does that mean that Toyota trucks suck?, not even, he just got a problem vehicle. It can happen to anyone, any make, any year.

My family has purchased nothing buy GM vehicles since 1947. That being said, I find no fault with anyone who solely purchases imports. A lot of people that remember the dark years in the 70's and early 80's are jaded due to their experiences with American cars. Quality was at an all time low, and the damn things just rusted away in no time. It was a sad chapter for American auto makers, and they lost a lot of business as a result of it. Things have changed dramatically over the last 15 years. While imports make a vehicle that is reliable, and full of nice gagets, they have never produced anything as cool as a 57 Chevy, a 67 Vette, or a C5. I believe, with a few exceptions (supra, NSX, 300Z), that asian automakers have constently missed the mark when it comes to performace cars. Not only in style, but in that classic V8 rumble that puts you back in you seat when you nail it.

I think the Corvette is certainly what it is, due to it's unique style, sound, and character. There are many more components that make a vette, more than just the 70 year old guys driving them. There is nothing else in the world like them, and I'll always have one in my garage.
I been to Honda, Chevy, Toyota ect.. dealerships and there is always something in their being fix, or repared. Just remember that not all the cars that go to dealerships are in because they break down, cars go to dealerships for: tune ups, flood damage, maintenance, recalls, ect....
Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
5w20
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
have proof?

Saturn Vue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine

The original poster doesn't use 5w20 he uses 5w30 and he gets his supply from me. The Honda oil is ExxonMobil and its convetional motor oil.

I think you are being foolish. GM specifies Synthetic oil because of the heat (and they were too cheap to put in an oil cooler). AND why you are using 5W-20 in hot TEXAS is beyond my understanding.

It's your car and your engine (for as long as it lasts). BTW, why would anyone BRAG about running Honda Fluids ?

Good luck, you'll need it
What is so different enginewise in his 99 C5 LS1 to my 00 Z28 with an LS1? No fbodies ever came with the "MOBIL 1 only synthetic" oil filler cap and if they did not many of them did. Why would they recommend one sythetic and one convential oil? Sure sounds like a gimmick that most vette owners are buying into.

Fine guys you win, just give me some time to switch my Auto zone belts, Oriely head bolts and head gaskets, all my fluids, auto zone water temp sensor, header gaskets, and intake gaskets back to GM parts. You guys make me smile, some of you guys sound like typical vette guys... you just love labels. If it dosent say GM or if its not chrome then your wrong
so true

Last edited by 5w20; 12-05-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 5w20

The original poster doesn't use 5w20 he uses 5w30 and he gets his supply from me. The Honda oil is ExxonMobil and its convetional motor oil.

What is so different enginewise in his 99 C5 LS1 to my 00 Z28 with an LS1? No fbodies ever came with the "MOBIL 1 only synthetic" oil filler cap and if they did not many of them did. Why would they recommend one sythetic and one convential oil? Sure sounds like a gimmick that most vette owners are buying into.

so true
they last 5 to 6 times longer? That is what I am looking for.

Well how many?

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-05-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
regorih
Drifting

so true
Welcome to the CorvetteForum I see the devil has stepped in
Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

American Cars break down more because americans drive like maniacs!!
Japanese people are usually quiet and calm. I wouldn't think they drive there cars hard. I think that's why they seem to last longer. put any car into the right hands and it can last for a long time or it can break down.
just my thought.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No fbodies ever came with the "MOBIL 1 only synthetic" oil filler cap
Neither did the Vette.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih
almost at a full 1000 views, never did I think I would get this much heat and death threats to my life over some oil All you guys are great even the ku-ku onces.

Death threats ? Good lord, I like a spirited discussion, but that's just crazy.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
regorih
Drifting

just throwing this out there, do you think GM pays Mobil1 for the endorsement of Mobil1 oil or maybe Mobil1 pays GM to endorse its oil. Just think how much Mobil1 oil gets sold for the Vetts, Gm could have easily used some other synthetic oil brand to be endorsed as the Vette oil. Wonder why?

Get notified of new replies

To My car is almost on all HONDA fluids! and I love it :)

Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih

haha maybe he has some deep roots within is loins.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Death threats ? Good lord, I like a spirited discussion, but that's just crazy.
HAHAHAHAH HAHAHAAHA I was just joking! I like these type of chats, its all fun and games. I like my thread because it has it all: the good, the bad, and all in-between. Its like a dram show, hey at least its not boring like other threads were everyone seems like mind-less robbots that just nod and follow the crowd.

Last edited by regorih; 12-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bgreen83
American Cars break down more because americans drive like maniacs!!
Japanese people are usually quiet and calm. I wouldn't think they drive there cars hard. I think that's why they seem to last longer. put any car into the right hands and it can last for a long time or it can break down.
just my thought.
Never been to Europe??? Italy is INSANE .

Quick Reply: My car is almost on all HONDA fluids! and I love it :)