C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone educate me on the benefits of an X-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
darb21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone educate me on the benefits of an X-Pipe?

What does the X-Pipe actually do and what are the benefits that one gets by installing one? Pros? Cons?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-07-2007, 01:14 PM
cam99
Pro

I believe it's to help with the scavenging effect, it's better than no cross over pipe at all. Better scavenging -> better breathing -> better intake charge -> more POWER!
I think it also dampens the pulses of the exhaust and makes it sound better!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:20 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

in theory. In practice, I don't think you can notice much difference with a stock engine. The real bonus to me is it smoothes out the sound, a more mellow sound with just a hint of burble (Jeez, sounds like some kind of wine ad ).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
Preston.Corvette (12-04-2023)
Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Boosted Josh
Melting Slicks

Before I had my Z I had a 96 mustang cobra that was built and blown. On those particular cars (and I would venture to say all cars) X-pipes made more peak power, but would loose a tiny bit of low end as compared to a H-pipe. The sound was also much different, the H-pipe had a more muscle car sound and the X-pipe made it a bit more high pitch exotic sounding. At least on my car anyway, it should be said that my car had long tubes, no cats and a magnaflow cat back.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:52 PM
darb21
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I've got essentially a stocker, but I've just recently bought a Halltech Venom intake and got in on the GHL Bullets GP last month, so thats coming soon too. Was just wondering if its worth it and what I would gain by adding an X-Pipe to that list.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:05 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Only for the sound.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

My understanding is that it helps balance the exhaust pressure between the two banks of the engine. It also cuts down on the pops/burble on deceleration. I have the Corsa Touring and X-pipe. I didn't have any popping/burble until I added AR Headers. Now I get a little bit on decel. More power? I doubt it but, I think it sounds pretty cool.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than making it sound a bit different, there is probably no advantage unless you are running equal length headers. The crossover pipe is there to even out the fact that the firing order is not evenly distributed on opposite sides of the engine. It allows evenly spaced exhaust pulses to pass down each side.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
..... X-pipes made more peak power, but would loose a tiny bit of low end as compared to a H-pipe......
Josh..I think you gout exactly backwards....
Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope..Im wrong....

H = Deep, Bassy, 70's muscle tone.. Also LOW end TQ

X = High pitched, racy, exotic sound... Top End Power
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (06-25-2020)
Old 12-07-2007, 09:30 PM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

It all has to do with the flow of gases. With an H pipe, the gas has no option but down either tube and this creates back pressure, which in turn makes the car feel a bit more torquee. The X pipe has the crossover giving the gases the path of least resistance, thus creating more free flowing exhaust. With a true X pipe there is little to no binding of gases. This will make the car feel a bit sluggish down low but makes the car scream up top. Very similiar to concept of LT headers VS stock manifolds or even some shorty headers.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Blowa-Z
Advanced

I don't know if you will actually feel any major performance gain. though statistically there is some gain, however with nice mufflers, at high RPM, You'll think you gained a hundred horses and 2000 RPM. Totally impressive sound, Sounds a little like a European performance car, with handful of American ingenuity under the hood. Makes your heart beat again.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:06 AM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

How do you know if you have an x or h pipe compared to having a stock pipe?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:55 AM
RonSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All C5's came from the factory with H-pipes.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 AM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here is what my car sounds like with a set of LT headers, Bassani X pipe and Borla catback. I love it and it sounds os much better in person...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUYnxqirMlA
Old 12-08-2007, 10:03 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by cam99
I believe it's to help with the scavenging effect, it's better than no cross over pipe at all. Better scavenging -> better breathing -> better intake charge -> more POWER!
I think it also dampens the pulses of the exhaust and makes it sound better!
Originally Posted by Bluefire
My understanding is that it helps balance the exhaust pressure between the two banks of the engine. It also cuts down on the pops/burble on deceleration. I have the Corsa Touring and X-pipe. I didn't have any popping/burble until I added AR Headers. Now I get a little bit on decel. More power? I doubt it but, I think it sounds pretty cool.
Originally Posted by robvuk
Other than making it sound a bit different, there is probably no advantage unless you are running equal length headers. The crossover pipe is there to even out the fact that the firing order is not evenly distributed on opposite sides of the engine. It allows evenly spaced exhaust pulses to pass down each side.

Think about it like this. As the exhaust flows from the collector of the headers out to the back of the car, this pulling effect creates a vacuum in the header tubes that have their exhaust valve closed. As soon as the exhaust valve opens, this vacuum helps to extract the spent gases from the cylinder. This is why overlap in big cams works so well, during the overlap (both intake and exhaust valves open) period, the spent gases are being pulled out and at the same time, the fresh mixture is being pulled into the cylinder. The burble that you hear is exhaust pulses, when you install the x-pipe, it basically mixes both sides together and you get a more consistent "pull", instead of the pulsing, from the exhaust that is heading out to the back of the car. This helps to create a more consistent vacuum in the header tubes and does a better job of evacuating spent gases from the cylinders. And it helps get rid of the "burble" sound.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dmoore
How do you know if you have an x or h pipe compared to having a stock pipe?
Pictures of a 3" Stainless Works X pipe:

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Can someone educate me on the benefits of an X-Pipe?

Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here's a Magnaflow X pipe:

Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default ok if this is true then why?????????????

Originally Posted by JDaniel
It all has to do with the flow of gases. With an H pipe, the gas has no option but down either tube and this creates back pressure, which in turn makes the car feel a bit more torquee. The X pipe has the crossover giving the gases the path of least resistance, thus creating more free flowing exhaust. With a true X pipe there is little to no binding of gases. This will make the car feel a bit sluggish down low but makes the car scream up top. Very similiar to concept of LT headers VS stock manifolds or even some shorty headers.
I honestly can't understand why it would help at all...sounds like pure marketing to me....if it did, then why wouldn't a true performance car NASCAR...run one....instead they all run H pipes. These cars are over 800HP and if an X pipe was better, Iam sure it would of been used.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:16 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Here is a picture of my new American Racing X-Pipe with hi-flow cats...

Notice, I also have installed American Racing 1-7/8" headers!

Last edited by clif; 12-08-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added comment

Quick Reply: Can someone educate me on the benefits of an X-Pipe?