C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeaky belt/pulley/damper question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 PM
luckyone928
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky belt/pulley/damper question

went by the book detailing the engine, now i have a squeak! while it was at the dealership they said it was the harmonic balancer/damper and would be like 400 to replace was it just coincidence that it started happening after the "bath"? i didnt mention cleaning the engine to the dealership--thanks in advance--

tried belt dressing, didnt hardly phase it--
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 PM
luckyone928
Melting Slicks

ttt
Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyone928
ttt
Save the belt dressing for the 77 Impala. Never use belt dressing or lube on a serpentine. If it's squeaking or chattering, somethings wrong, don't mask it.......fix it. I've always removed the serpentine belt on a car before degreasing. I never hose down an engine (well maybe 20 years ago...can of gunk and a garden hose days) and I always blow off the pulleys with compressed air before installing the belt.

As far as the balancer goes, what does it look like? Does it wobble? Is it delaminating? What does the belt look like? Cracks etc?
Old 12-25-2007, 02:14 PM
luckyone928
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Save the belt dressing for the 77 Impala. Never use belt dressing or lube on a serpentine. If it's squeaking or chattering, somethings wrong, don't mask it.......fix it. I've always removed the serpentine belt on a car before degreasing. I never hose down an engine (well maybe 20 years ago...can of gunk and a garden hose days) and I always blow off the pulleys with compressed air before installing the belt.

As far as the balancer goes, what does it look like? Does it wobble? Is it delaminating? What does the belt look like? Cracks etc?
i thought the same thing regarding detailing the engine but the general feeling here was it was not a big deal getting it wet! i did blow it off afterwards and it started and ran fine till the squeaking and knock sensor went @e ta#$%$ (i have that issue in another post) i havnt even looked at it after picking it up, just wanted to get some opinions---thanks for yours
Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 AM
RDKING
Pro

I have what I think is a squeaky idler pulley. How do I determine which idler pulley it is ???

Get notified of new replies

To squeaky belt/pulley/damper question

Quick Reply: squeaky belt/pulley/damper question