C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 400rwhp goal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

You should be close with those mods, but I would do as some others have said..if you dont port the heads, go a tad bigger on the cam.

I am at 410RWHP and 403Trqe with the following mods:
AFR205heads
228/232 113LSA .590 .588
Long tube headers
LS6 intake

2001 MN6

My tune is fairly conservative and I am running a tad rich. As far as your clutch goes, well that all depends on how much you go to the track, and how hard you drive it on the street. My synchros were already going when I was stock..and I still managed to get another 1 year out of my stock clutch at my power level, but I dont really track the car..just pound around on the street a bit. My clutch had about 38k on it when I had it changed.

Last edited by FrankTank; 01-25-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0vette0
Did some research and found that with ls6 heads you need a center bolt valve cover and different coil brackets. Now somebody correct me if that's wrong but saw that about a week ago on here. That's just something I hadn't seen before.

LS6 heads do not require anything extra to install on a LS1. Just be aware that the LS6 heads and the LS2 heads are the same with the exception of the valves. If you have LS6 heads you also have slightly longer valves and need new pushrods (or the LS6 cam)

Now, you mentioned that you have a LS6 cam already. Did you change out pushrods? The LS6 cam has smaller base circles (bad memory, but I want to say 0.050???, also, the 2001 LS6 cam does not apply) Someone with more knowledge on valvetrains will need to chime in, but I believe for reliability sake you should make sure your geometry is correct.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 AM
C5B
Racer

Originally Posted by Casem1
The LS6 cam has smaller base circles (bad memory, but I want to say 0.050???, also, the 2001 LS6 cam does not apply)
Correct. The Center to Heal distance (radius of the Base Circle) is then about .025, so you'll need pushrods that are .025 LONGER if you have stock 241 heads. If you did NOT change the pushrods, and still have 7.4's, then you should have more noise than normal (now), but will be fine if you put STOCK LS6 heads on. If you just find 243 castings and are not sure that they're LS6 and NOT LS2, then you're in the dark and should just use a pushrod length checker to figure it out.

In my humble opinion, the LS6 heads are not worth the money. I say just by LS2/243 castings (much cheaper) and slap them on. Your REAL bang is coming from the cam anyway. Those light valves aren't worth much in revs or power.... but ARE cool Look at it this way: If you're having them ported and polished.. and revalved with bigger ones, you just wasted money on light, sodium filled valves. Buy the cheaper ones... you prolly won't notice the difference.

- Colby
Old 01-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Tyler valo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5B
Correct. The Center to Heal distance (radius of the Base Circle) is then about .025, so you'll need pushrods that are .025 LONGER if you have stock 241 heads. If you did NOT change the pushrods, and still have 7.4's, then you should have more noise than normal (now), but will be fine if you put STOCK LS6 heads on. If you just find 243 castings and are not sure that they're LS6 and NOT LS2, then you're in the dark and should just use a pushrod length checker to figure it out.

In my humble opinion, the LS6 heads are not worth the money. I say just by LS2/243 castings (much cheaper) and slap them on. Your REAL bang is coming from the cam anyway. Those light valves aren't worth much in revs or power.... but ARE cool Look at it this way: If you're having them ported and polished.. and revalved with bigger ones, you just wasted money on light, sodium filled valves. Buy the cheaper ones... you prolly won't notice the difference.

- Colby
Sooooo.......basically you said "Buy stock LS2 heads."? Correct?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:37 PM
C5B
Racer

For the money, yes, that is correct. If $$$ no object, go with AFR heads

- Colby

Quick Reply: My 400rwhp goal