C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
DT99Vette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie wheel question

Looking to put some 2000-2004 wheels on my 1999, is there anything that I need to know about or will it be an even swap? Need spacers? Will tire pressure senors be the same? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DT99Vette
Looking to put some 2000-2004 wheels on my 1999, is there anything that I need to know about or will it be an even swap? Need spacers? Will tire pressure senors be the same? Thanks in advance.
As far as wheel sizes ... you didn't specify what wheels you are looking at ... but if they are "stock" Corvette wheels from a 2000-2004 Corvette they will fit your 1999 with no problem. The suspension dimensions, brakes, etc. have not varied during the C5 run .... any wheel that fits one C5 will fit on another. Only if you switch to non-OEM dimension wheels might you find a need for spacers.

The Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors (TPMS) are a different issue. There are two different TPMS for the C5. One TPMS works with 1997-2000 cars, the other is for 2001-2004 cars. They cannot be interchanged.

You need to be sure you take your current TPMS and have them installed in the new wheels. They will fit and work fine. If you try and use TPMS that came for a 2001-2004 car, nothing will be damaged, but because the later TPMS transmit on a different frequency than your car "listens" for .... your DIC will display XX as the tire pressure for each tire.

Finally, once the new wheels are installed on the car, you should re-train the Tire Pressure system to ensure that the car knows which sensor is at which wheel. If you don't know the procedure ... go here for instructions. A good tire shop should know how, and have the tools, to do this .......

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=77&TopicID=1

Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
DT99Vette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!! That's what I wanted to hear.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie wheel question

Quick Reply: Newbie wheel question