C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Hanger - Insulator.... DIY repair.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Hanger - Insulator.... DIY repair.

On a side note of the damn troublesome "Exhaust Insulator" hanger. Part # 10429800 (like $10 from GMPartsDirect.com).

I had decided I could NOT wait for the part. The Clunk Thud noise was driving me bat **** insane.

So using a piece of 3/8" OD Fuel hose, I cut it to a 1" length and stuffed it into both sides of the muffler "tongue" inside the insulator. Thread a Ziptie through the piece of hose, and around the side of the insulator.

Whalla, $2.00 Fixed now, till you order and get the insulator.

Here's an idea of what I'm talking about, don't mind the mess. Haven't washed the car, or trimmed and cleaned up the install yet.

Last edited by Sick Z06; 02-09-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:34 PM
taz03
Racer

That should do the trick.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

I would think so. The "insulators" are nothing more then a mild steel bracket with a rubber insert. For $10-24 (depending on where you get them from)... Mine was a 1-2 week order... I said screw it. Needed something to fix it now.

I'll still be recieving the insulators. however I am going to leave this inplace, and see how long it lasts.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Sprack
Advanced

when I was trying to install my exhaust and I took off the two 13 mm nuts for the hangers. the studs flipped sidewards and now I cant get them out. any remedy for this? i couldnt figure out for the life of my how to get it out. looks completely enclosed. any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Sprack
when I was trying to install my exhaust and I took off the two 13 mm nuts for the hangers. the studs flipped sidewards and now I cant get them out. any remedy for this? i couldnt figure out for the life of my how to get it out. looks completely enclosed. any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris
You will have to remove the rear facia and then the rear foam energy abosrber from the rear impact bar, then you can reach inside and reposition the studs.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprack

Chris
Chris, I'd try a real powerfull magnet to get it wiggled in position to get over the holes(might take a while) Once over the holes try using some small pick to get it upright. When and how you do get it back in position, you could put some silicone around the hole & bolt , to keep from happening again. Also you cound use a tinnerman washer, like they use on the lug bolt to keep the rotors in position, to keep this from happening again. You could problebly drill the holes out a tad larger to make this whole process easier. By the way, it almost happened to me the other day when I was putting on my bullets. Good luck, Bob.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 PM
whippit
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Chris, I'd try a real powerfull magnet to get it wiggled in position to get over the holes(might take a while) Once over the holes try using some small pick to get it upright. When and how you do get it back in position, you could put some silicone around the hole & bolt , to keep from happening again. Also you cound use a tinnerman washer, like they use on the lug bolt to keep the rotors in position, to keep this from happening again. You could problebly drill the holes out a tad larger to make this whole process easier. By the way, it almost happened to me the other day when I was putting on my bullets. Good luck, Bob.
This suggestion is right on! With the prospect of removing the rear fascia just too much work, I drilled the two hills slightly larger, then used a magnet on the end of an extension tool (much like you'd use to retrieve a screw that you dropped into a small space) and wiggled the magnet around until I caught the reinforcement studs. A little more wiggling around with a tooth pick and the studs fell back through the holes. Thanks to bumble-z for the excellent tip.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Hanger - Insulator.... DIY repair.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Hanger - Insulator.... DIY repair.