C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind noise thru passenger window

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Nepthalim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger window did the same thing...I found, before going on with all that window tip stuff, I'd make sure it wasn't the weather stripping. Let's be honest with ourselves here guys, GM = crappy weather stripping, at least in my experience. Try a simple solution first. take a can of pure silicone spray and work it into the weather stripping around the doors and windows, this worked for me. In fact, now it's part of my preventive maintenance. Hope this works for you.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 PM
mjoy
Instructor

So I'm looking to adjust both side windows. Passenger side looks to be to far back as I have a leak around the front, and the driver side is to far forward as I have a lot of wind noise from the rear of the window, it is not resting on the soft portion of the strip. Do I have to take the door panel off to do the fore and aft adjustments?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Try adjusting the tip in.

Window Tip-In Adjustment - Door

Tools Required

#6 Inverted TORX® Socket
Thanks DeeGee, for the post -- I used it with success today.

On note: On my '04, the jack screw was not a #6 Torx -- it was an external Allen. A 4mm 6-point socket fit it perfectly.

My tool list (for completeness sake):

-- Flat blade screwdriver (to insert at the bottom of the reflector to start it out; don't try to pry out from the top, as you'll break off the two tabs at the top of the reflector which stick up behind the door panel)

-- 10mm deep socket to reach the locknuts

-- 4mm 6-point socket to adjust the jackscrew.

HTH,
Mark
Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have to check this out. Passenger is making a lot of noise around 70-80mph. Driver i can slightly hear noise from the back of the window. I already did the tilt adjustment on the bottom underside of the door. didnt know there was one behind the light.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Default tip in

great info

thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm having the same problem as well.

It was a windy day here today and it sounded as if the glass was hitting a piece of metal. Possibly the blow out tab?

The problem is on the passenger side. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the glass is too far forward, there is a large gap towards the rear of the window. Enough to stick my finger through without much effort.

Here are some pictures. Please excuse the dirty car.

Passenger side:

Compare that with the driver side:

How do I get the window shifted more towards the rear?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 PM
warlock007
Pro

can someone post a properly aligned window on a coupe, front top corners, blow out clip, rear top corners. please
Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
warlock007
Pro

ttt
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM
warlock007
Pro

anyone
Old 03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmond
I'm having the same problem as well.

It was a windy day here today and it sounded as if the glass was hitting a piece of metal. Possibly the blow out tab?

The problem is on the passenger side. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the glass is too far forward, there is a large gap towards the rear of the window. Enough to stick my finger through without much effort.

Here are some pictures. Please excuse the dirty car.

Passenger side:

How do I get the window shifted more towards the rear?
For major adjustments like re-centering the glass in the opening, you need to remove the door panel, loosen the two clamps that hold the glass in the window regulator assembly, and move the glass. It may help to have one person outside to help center the glass, while another person sits in the car and tightens the clamps. You can fine tune the vertical position of the glass with the jack screws on each clamp, and adjust the tip in by moving the lower mounting points of the window rails.

Looks like you need to raise the glass in the brackets to get it to seat tighter against the upper weatherstrip. Note, the clamps have rubber cushions, so make sure they stay in place and do not overtighten the clamps or you could break the glass.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 03-28-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM
warlock007
Pro

i did that whole thing, no matter what i do i can not get the window to close the gap where the top meets the windshield stripping. looking for any pic of what it normally looks like when properly sealed
Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Does anyone have the procedure document with pictures? My passenger side makes a lot of noise above 70mph. When we went 183mph, the window was vibrating like crazy had to slow down. It seemed to be more of an issue with the headlights up though. It seems it causes turbulence which increases noise.

There also seems to be a creak in the rear right of the roof, this is on a FRC.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Google "C5 window regulator replacement."

You may need to adjust the vertical and/or horizontal position of the window on the regulator, and adjust the bottom pair of mounting screws of the regulator.

Quick Reply: wind noise thru passenger window