C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

targa top

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default targa top

It looks like my lexan top is peeling away from the frame. I want to fix this. has anyone peeled the lexan away from the frame the and re-glued it back on. I have many tools and knowledge with epoxies. I would like to know what epoxy they used to fasten the top to the frame. any install instructions would be most helpfull too.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM
noahdr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest 3M tape. I tried the same kind of thing with some kinda glue in my C4

Old 03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

This is a major issue and no else has done this?
I will look into 3m tape... Not sold yet on doing that though. But it does look like a tape in there.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:17 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

well I re- did my top. The process is simple. You first have to get a heavy plastic scraper and a rubber mallet a seperate the frame for the lexon. but before you do that tape the inside perimiter very good without using a utility knife.
2nd step is to clean out the old 3m black adhesive from the groves on the frame.
3rd step is to if you have one a da sander and remove the sealant and paint.
4th step clean with isopropol alcohol and paint the top black around the inside perimiter where the frame is and past it to edge. if you do not do this the frame and sealant will show when cured to top.
5th step valvoline makes a two part epoxy adhesive it requires a special gun adhesive and gun will run you about 70 bucks. anyways apply the sealant to your frame and place the frame on the glass and then clamp it down.
6th step wait like 4 hours like i am right now waiting for this thing to dry.. good time to drink a beer. haha

Good luck

P.s. Make sure before you take the damn thing off to make sure the tape is aligned to edge off frame it helps you when applying it at end, plus thats your tape off for painting too.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

ohh that tape I thought it was.. It was the crappy paint gm used to bond to lexan.... to bad the lexan was glossy and not sanded a bit to let the paint stick. IDIOTS
Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by buoniconti81
well I re- did my top. The process is simple. You first have to get a heavy plastic scraper and a rubber mallet a seperate the frame for the lexon. but before you do that tape the inside perimiter very good without using a utility knife.
2nd step is to clean out the old 3m black adhesive from the groves on the frame.
3rd step is to if you have one a da sander and remove the sealant and paint.
4th step clean with isopropol alcohol and paint the top black around the inside perimiter where the frame is and past it to edge. if you do not do this the frame and sealant will show when cured to top.
5th step valvoline makes a two part epoxy adhesive it requires a special gun adhesive and gun will run you about 70 bucks. anyways apply the sealant to your frame and place the frame on the glass and then clamp it down.
6th step wait like 4 hours like i am right now waiting for this thing to dry.. good time to drink a beer. haha

Good luck

P.s. Make sure before you take the damn thing off to make sure the tape is aligned to edge off frame it helps you when applying it at end, plus thats your tape off for painting too.
Interesting. You wrote a "how to" in reply to your own post on "how to"
Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

Its usually better to ask how people have done it before I did this on my own. My local auto paint store, recomended the valvoline epoxy from metal to lexan. But im confident it will be just fine...
Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

well it failed...... I just scraped it all off.. what a mess. I used 3m ureathane windshield adhesive. it cost 15 bucks and is used with a regular caulk gun.. ill keep you all informed.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:45 PM
PaulWall
Instructor

Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

well It will get a run tomarrow. It seems to me it worked. like the other product it sucked it right down with the urethane windshield adhesive by 3m. It is very messy! Make sure to wear nitrile latex gloves. those gloves don't give off latex powder into the adhesive. other than that. I pryed on it a bit. I think I have the ticket.

Im trying to get some of this black stuff off my hands right now.. LOL
Old 03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

well it failed again.. I have 3m calling me back.. WIll let you guys know how i make out. It seems once it got warm today it peeled.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
noahdr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck, let us know what you find. make sure its on there really good before you take it out for a test drive. :o
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
buoniconti81
Instructor

gm states the 07 vettes top seperate and the kit is like 200 bucks... Here we go again where the stealership wants my hard earned money, for a 30 bottle of epoxy and some plexiglass etching primer..
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Jelanib
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by buoniconti81
gm states the 07 vettes top seperate and the kit is like 200 bucks... Here we go again where the stealership wants my hard earned money, for a 30 bottle of epoxy and some plexiglass etching primer..
Did you ever get the kit? I read on another thread that it has to be a two part sealant. Disappointing to hear that this didn't work for you. Curious to know what solution you found?

UPDATE: I found it after calling the dealership who referred me to a glass shop who referred me to yet again another glass shop but they were able to tell me exactly what type to use.

Weld-On #40
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lex...VE-IPS-40-PINT

It's a 2 part epoxy, something I've heard from others on the forum that is used by the factory. There's another thread where one member uses 3M Windshield Adhesive but it doesn't work. I haven't tried the Weld-On yet but the rep I spoke with said this is what you have to use when attaching acrylic tops. If anyone want a follow up, PM me or give me a holler and I'll give an update!

Last edited by Jelanib; 09-15-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To targa top

Quick Reply: targa top