C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, i give up 5.3L heads Vs LS6 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
chevybob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know what cam gets the car to 450rwhp and drives well on the street? I am at 417rwhp with .222 and .566 cam specs. Differential is DTE 410 with many bolt ons. I have been to two different tuners. The car had idle issues after installing the fast 90/90 set up. Runs fine now but I am afraid to change out to larger cam.
thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 AM
TigerSharkZ06
Instructor

he has teh HPE type S cam, dont quote me but i think its high 230's/Low 240's on a .609 lift... something close to the MS3 Cam by texas speed
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chevybob
I would like to know what cam gets the car to 450rwhp and drives well on the street?
There isn't a cam that will do that without heads. Sure, you can get 450 rwhp out of it but its not even close to being tolerable for a DD.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TigerSharkZ06
Alot of cam only guys by me making 440-450 rwhp with simple bolt ons and a cam... with a nice tune, and the drivability is great..
Originally Posted by TigerSharkZ06
on a Z06? no more like 70-80 and theres many dynos by my, ECS, and a couple others.. put these #'s out daily..
In all fairness, the Z06 already has LS6 heads, so not much head work necessary. For people with the 241 castings, you'll need to upgrade the heads to get to those power numbers.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

IIRC the 5.3 was designed to keep cost down.

the 5.3 has smaller runners 200 vs 205, 215, 225 runners.

2.04" Intake Valves
1.55" Exhaust Valves

the air flow is higher. Now this said, this type of head MAY be better for low end torque and off the line, vs high end HP

Keeping the cam smaller, 224/224 mid lift may be the benefit

If your looking for big HP numbers then these heads may not be for you.

But quick off the line . . .
Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First decide what you want to do with the car. Drag or street maybe road race (hpde) or all ocf the above....
Considering you have tiger sharked your z06, I would say you expect it to do a little of everything.

A ms3 cam and 5.3 L heads are at odds with eachother.

A ms3 is a higher duration and lift cam made for heads with larger runners which develop very impressive high end peak hp #'s; however this often comes at a sacrifice on the low end torque and therefore drivability because it has a narrower power band, great for automatics with a specified stall, made to keep the engine in that power band. Obviously manuals can do this too, but your the stall....

The 5.3 heads have a small runner and smaller combustion chamber which is a beautiful combo for great low end torque and "power under the curve". because your using port velocity and compression to your advantage, it allows you to run a smaller cam which negates some of the above mentioned valve clearance issues. This will leadyou to less "peak' but more "under curve" power. I feel like a 2.04 intake is larger than nescessary, but whatever.

Being that you already have a 243 head, you could get cleaned up (or not) and add new springs and run about a 224 to 228 on a 112 w/o problems. Your runners are 215cc which will let you go either way. You can mill them while the springs are going on for negligable cost and that will bump the compression. You can also have them ported out to ~230 cc runner and go with your ms3.

Always check ptv

There's no reason a 224 cam with high lift can't make 450hp on ls6 heads with GOOD headers and ls6 intake with supporting bolt ons.

good luck

Last edited by NASAblue; 03-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NASAblue

A ms3 cam and 5.3 L heads are at odds with each other.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
TigerSharkZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by NASAblue
First decide what you want to do with the car. Drag or street maybe road race (hpde) or all ocf the above....
Considering you have tiger sharked your z06, I would say you expect it to do a little of everything.

A ms3 cam and 5.3 L heads are at odds with eachother.

A ms3 is a higher duration and lift cam made for heads with larger runners which develop very impressive high end peak hp #'s; however this often comes at a sacrifice on the low end torque and therefore drivability because it has a narrower power band, great for automatics with a specified stall, made to keep the engine in that power band. Obviously manuals can do this too, but your the stall....

The 5.3 heads have a small runner and smaller combustion chamber which is a beautiful combo for great low end torque and "power under the curve". because your using port velocity and compression to your advantage, it allows you to run a smaller cam which negates some of the above mentioned valve clearance issues. This will leadyou to less "peak' but more "under curve" power. I feel like a 2.04 intake is larger than nescessary, but whatever.

Being that you already have a 243 head, you could get cleaned up (or not) and add new springs and run about a 224 to 228 on a 112 w/o problems. Your runners are 215cc which will let you go either way. You can mill them while the springs are going on for negligable cost and that will bump the compression. You can also have them ported out to ~230 cc runner and go with your ms3.

Always check ptv

There's no reason a 224 cam with high lift can't make 450hp on ls6 heads with GOOD headers and ls6 intake with supporting bolt ons.

good luck
Thanks for the great info, yea im mainly looking to do drag, but always wanted to try autocross... i have 4.10's so low end power is needed as much as someone with 3.15 gears.. i guess it pretty much solves my problem to go with ported Ls6 heads, thanks guys for the help

Quick Reply: Ok, i give up 5.3L heads Vs LS6 Heads