C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY oil catch can???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Here ya go.

i love it
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Dave68
I think you should do the search. Quite a few CF members who use Brillo pad filter elements have opened up their intakes within a years time and have found plenty of oil. That's oil that almost certainly entered the intake in aerosol form.

A homemade catch can is like a homemade intake filter - it'll either filter something, but not nearly enough, or restrict flow so much as to adversely affect proper engine operation.

Remember, it's not how much you pay, but what you are paying for.

Do it properly, no need to spend a hundred bucks for a can.

I don't need to do a search, I did a 2 page DIY write-up and followed up with it in a year, with a bone dry intake.

You need to clean the intake out or all the oil you had before the can would still be in the intake. The intake does not get hot enough to burn off the oil.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:07 PM
WetMountainMan
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

These old posts are very informative in some ways but it's a shame that the photos are not showing. Pictures are worth thousands of words.
I really wish the first few originally posted photos in this thread were still available.

Quick Reply: DIY oil catch can???