C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comprehensive Exhaust Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
MI00vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comprehensive Exhaust Comparison

I was recently looking to improve the sound of my C5 and did some research on CorvetteForum and elsewhere to determine how loud different systems are, what complaints owners have, and general thoughts about each. I read and collected posts from other members about and I hope this comparison can be of use to others.

The posted comments below have been taken verbatim from other posts to highlight the good and bad aspects of each exhaust system. In addition to the posted comments, many owners posted that they love the exhaust they have, but these comments were generally neglected as they lacked information.

The posts discuss Corsa, Magnaflow, B&B, Ti Z06, and Borla exhaust systems. General comments comparing exhaust systems are listed at the end, and might be the most useful. I purchased a B&B PRT system and really enjoy the deep sound. This is my first post and I hope someone finds it useful in the future.

Corsa Touring and Pace Car

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashc5.htm

Corsa Touring too quiet

Definitely the Corsa Pace Car with your set up. The exhaust will be quiet when you want it to be and very aggressive at WOT! YEAH!

Real easy, Corsa Pace Car.

I have the Corsa catback now and love it! All my other C5's in the past had the Borla Stingers but now I think I am sold on Corsa. I think they have a better sound at higher rpm but seem to be quieter at idle. I would like to hear them with headers and an xpipe!

Now, the Corsas have a nice rumble at idle and are nearly dead quiet cruising at highway speeds, but are damn loud at WOT. If you go into a tunnel or under a bridge and mash the gas, it will startle you it is so loud. It puts a grin on my face. Really, you get the best of both worlds, quiet when you want it to be and loud when you want it to be. On top of that, there is no resonance.

When I added the x-pipe it really softened it down at idle, which I do not like. I prefer the nice burble at idle. I went the path of trying three different exhaust systems and then resale and final settled in on the Corsa Pace

My Corsa has no drone, but it's not deep or bassy, which I miss from my old Mustang days. I might have to check these out.

Bump to the top ---- I have these and LOVE em!!!!!!! At WOT they sound so freakin great!!!! Def. worth the money! I paid close to $1050 brand new! Wish this deal was around when I needed them!

I really like my Pace car exhaust. I checked out several exhausts before settling on the Corsa's. I rode in a buddy's C5 with Borla's and got a headache. The others were about the same but I really like the resonance cancellation of the Pace Cars. WOT is really cool. Well good luck on your quest.

I went from Stock TI's to Corsa's thinking I'd love them. I was wrong, they sounded nothing like they did on my LT1, so I switched to GHL's and couldn't be happier!!!!!!!
I think Corsa Pace Cars are the absolute best

I first installed my Corsa Touring and they sounded great, but weren't at all loud enough. I switched them for Pace Cars 2 days ago, they sound good, but still not THAT loud. I don't want to put headers on, so I guess I'll just stick with the Pace Cars.

I agree that the Corsa website is misleading. The Pace Cars sound nothing like the sound clip.

Magnaflow

Magnaflow is too quiet

They are plenty loud at WOT.

One important thing: THEY DON'T DRONE!!!!! They do have a nice DEEP sound though...
The Magnaflow Performance Series exhaust sounds awesome. Deep throaty sound without the drone.

Magnaflow Quad 4 inch round tips look great too.

B & B PRT and Route 66

YOU WANT "throaty"?...then, B&B's "PRT" system is a great choice...it is a mellow #1, on idle & cruise...and #3 throaty loud on WOT. Go to B&B's Web Site*...and click on their audible demos for each of their 3 exhaust systems...for a test. Think you will find "PRT" meets your stated expectations...
*here it is: http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c5/

I have the BB route 66 exhaust with headers, high flow cats, and an x pipe. The sound is great. The car is quiet while cruising has a deep sound and all the members of our club say you can hear me pass from a mile back. The PRT have a raspier sound. I prefer mine because it reminds me of the 60's muscle car sound.

My B&B PRTs give a great sound. Yes, the car will rumble and it does get noticed. MANY people tell me they love the way it sounds.

I gotta add it is not the exhaust if you want to try and sneak out early in the morning though!
B&B Prts here also

The "mildest" after market cat backs are B&B Rt 66's

If you are interested in either of the 3 systems: "Rt.66, PRT and Bullets" that B & B offers, they have demo audios of how each sounds, on their web site...

PTR SOUNDS GOOD
PRT's as loud as stingers...NO DRONE...bullets are great...but again...DRONE
First time I sat in the car after getting my PRT's installed and started it I panic'd! I thought, "HOLY S*$T! These are no different from factory..." Then had a friend sit in the car and rev it up...WOW!!! Loud and loved it. Cam, LG Longtubes, no cats...still hardly much drone...not another aftermarket muffler out there that can handle that if you want loud outside. Others might can handle it...but will not be loud or won't have a deep low loud. I am into the deep loud, not the euro higher pitched loud. My PRT's are a lower sound than my buddy's bullets to give you an idea...

Deep sound and no drone? That's the best of both worlds.

I kid you not...I really should be selling these things...I have already had 2 other vette owners buy them after I spoke to them...really the best thing is how mod friendly they are. They are loud stock, but add the cam, LG's and no cats...and these things are LOUD...but still...no serious drone

Just want to say that I've been through a couple of aftermarket exhaust systems, and the B&B PRTs are one of the best, if not the best sounding exhausts out there. Very little drone compared to others, and scream at WOT.

I AGREE I ALSO HAVE THIS ONE. LOVE THE SOUND ON THE HIGHWAY. BUT STILL LOVE THE SOUND OF THE BULLETS IN TOWN AND WIDEOPEN. WIFE STILL HATE"S THEM. BUT WOULDN"T RIDE IN THE CAR WITH THE BULLETS ON IT. BUMP FOR YOU MAN

Edit: i have the PRT B&B sounds really mean, but a lot less drone.

B&B Bullet

The B&B bullet, that exhaust is really loud. dont know about its drone though, just heard it at the drag strip.

My TI exhaust was WAY too quiet (even WOT in my opinion). I like very loud and noticeable and B&B Bullets is what I have and love. Sounds mean and loud as he**. Incredible sound when shifting redline through the gears. My wife doesn't complain at all about the loudness of them and she reads a book and talks on her cell phone all the time when we are driving.
I finally got a chance to put on the bullets I ordered..........& they are not what I was hoping for. They ARE loud and at the higher RPM range I basically like them, but for just cruising without getting wild, I am not very fond of the sound.

Here are 2 in car clips of my B&B bullets with a then stock engine with a trunk partition. They are very loud at WOT. I don't consider them loud at all at idle or low rpm cruising though. They have a drone at 2600-2900 rpms only, but that range is easy to stay out of if it bothersome.

http://www.bbgraphics1.com/sitebuild...s/napa2007.mpg
http://www.bbgraphics1.com/sitebuild...yz06onramp.mpg
http://www.bbgraphics1.com/sitebuild...z06offramp.mpg

I have the B&B Bullets - they're really really loud. Especially after the Long tubes, and H/C Swap

ZO6 Titanium Exhaust

Z06 Ti exhaust, lighter and same power gains.

z06 Ti exhaust is, quite at idle but rips at WOT, plenty of sound for me, i drove a car with LOUD exhaust, got tired of it after a while, always attracting too much attention, not what i want.

The stock Z06 Ti catback is arguably the best catback you can put on a C5 -
It weighs considerably less than any other steel system, and flows 40% better than the stock C5 catback.

There is little or no gains from any of the aftermarket catback systems.
The reason to change to an aftermarket system is for looks and or sound, not for performance.

My track partner and I both have the Dynatech systems. He recently had a head/cam job done and the car was dynoed with a Corsa system on it. Later, after he decided it was too loud to run at some tracks, he reinstalled his factory Ti system and the car was redynoed with a 10 hp gain. The Ti system certainly doesn't hurt flow or power output.

I saw a film about the TI Exhaust that someone post sometime ago. This GM person was explaining that the TI exhaust flow as good and in some cases better than any after market cat-back system their is. I also notice on the forum many guys are using the TI after they install headers and free flow cats. They say that make the TI sound great. Also the TI don't attach unwanted people. Now I went with the TI system, it could be a little louder at idle but i did
notice the response of the car was a way better. And if I did any others exhaust mods down the road I have a good base to start with. Also the tips are hard to shine. So if you what loud or a lot of shine the TI are not the way to go.

Traded my Borla Stingers for a Z06 Ti after I installed my LG Streets and X pipe. There was no measurable change from the Ti's, and they removed ALL resonance at all rpms/speeds.
Ti's are a popular choice for modded and stock engines alike. Unless you need the bling bling exhaust tips that other mfg's have, the Ti's are the best bang for the buck out there.

Most of the used Z06 titanium systems seem to go for about $400 in good condition. So, the $350 is good if the condition warrants it. Plus, no shipping saves you even more money. Even if you later decide to sell it, you'll likely recoup your money.

you lose about 19lbs.

I have been from the stock C5 exhaust to Borla Stingers. I now have Z06 Ti's and love them. The stock exhaust really sucked (ugly too), the Borla's where too loud and resonated the car too much. I actually found someone to do an even trade with me and he even paid for the labor to have my old Borla's for his Ti's. On my most recent dyno, there was absolutely no power loss going from the Borla's to the Z06 Ti's.

Borla Stingers

http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...olet/Corvette/

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...2c015a8552.htm

I'm very satisfied with my Borla Stingers

They are louder than my Silverado's Flowmasters!

I was considering BB Bullets, but after hearing a wot of the Bullets, I opted for the Stingers which are a bit lower in tone, and if you are under 2k rpm, are mellow enough to get by the fuzz without incident.

I like the throatier rumble so I have the Borla Stinger - Four 2.5 inch oval tips. Looks and sounds the best IMO.

I am currently running Borla Stingers. They are throaty, loud, etc. BUT- they DRONE on the highway!

Apparently have resonance

I have to friends with Borlas and they did not pass DEQ (for noise).

Borlas are notorious for drone. I don't have headers but i still get drone.

The Stingers (what I have) are decently loud, there is some drone, but not overbearing. Adding headers will deepen the tone, increase drone, and somewhat increase how loud they are. I personally don't think its too bad, but you'll have to judge for yourself. Personally, I think it's a great combo, has the best sound by far of any exhaust brand, and drone can be somewhat controlled by adding frostking insulation to rear hatch (see mikemercury's site for installation details).

I have been from the stock C5 exhaust to Borla Stingers. I now have Z06 Ti's and love them. The stock exhaust really sucked (ugly too), the Borla's where too loud and resonated the car too much. I actually found someone to do an even trade with me and he even paid for the labor to have my old Borla's for his Ti's. On my most recent dyno, there was absolutely no power loss going from the Borla's to the Z06 Ti's.

Borla stingers, i have em, and love the sound

i have Borla stingers, lt headers, and high flow cats. i love the sounds, it idles like a beast, aggressive sound through the whole gear.

i have a nasty drone at 1600-1700 rpms though. i just turn the music up.

I could not stand the drone of my Borla Stingers so put my stock system back on and I took them back to where I bought them. I then bought the MagnaFlows but it was a good thing I could use my stock system until I got the MF's on. I did it in my garage on jack stands each time but like stated above it was not for the faint of heart.
Yeah, I guess I should watch it :-). I should also clarify a bit. I loved the Borla's in local driving but at hwy speeds' 70-80 mph(1500-1700 rpm's) they were just annoying. Now, I rarely drive at those speed so I wish I had just kept them on. In addition, I put 4:10's in and I would be out of the drone zone at 70-80 mph and I am guessing they would not be a problem for me now.

have quad stingers I would be interested in trading. prt's loud? I love the stingers, but the drone while cruising is driving me crazy.

When I decided to change exhaust, I stopped at a Mid America booth at a car show and was going to order a set of GHL's, and like a dum azz I let the "kid" working there talk me out of it, said they hardly ever sold GHL's so there must be something wrong with them, instead he sold me a set of quad tip Borla Stingers and an X-pipe, I don't know what was worse the horrendous resonance, or my wife's bitchn, "you ruined this car, it was a nice car before you ruined it with this noise, what did you do cut the mufflers off it with a hacksaw, blah, blah, blah," just wasn't worth it, if you know what I mean. Put the stock system back on, nice an quiet, no exhaust noise , no wife noise, and I can hear the radio again.

The borla stingers are great - it really gives it an exotic sound! I wouldn't mind having mine a bit quieter though

Bola, regular series

Now, the often overlooked standard Borla series, is also available. Has the same great sound of the Stingers, but not quite as loud, and it has no drone. It's easy to physically tell the difference, the stingers have small round mufflers, while the standard ones have large mufflers that look more stock. This setup would be the perfect combination with headers and no drone, but it does cost more than the stingers.

General Comments and Comparisons

If you don't want it loud, but want a deeper sound..then I would go with Magnaflows, or Z06 stock TI exhaust.

If you want a deep sound, DO NOT go with Corsa. Also if you don't want loud then stay away from the following: BB Bullets, SLP Loud mouth, BB PRT, Borla Stingers

I went to many Corvette events, track days, cruises and heard every system on the market multiple times. I was initially happy with the stock titaniums but wanted something louder. To this day I still think B&B Bullets sound the best from outside the car but after having them for over a year, the resonance they produce from 50-60 mph became intolerable after driving for a few hours on a road trip. When I put in my new motor, I eliminated the cats and went with Corsa pace cars. Absolutely the best sounding mufflered catback IMO and tolerable while driving under all conditions. They scream at WOT, are sedate while cruising around town, and sound great at idle. I still love listening to cars with bullets though but would never use them again. I think I would take Ti's over any other system though because nothing else really impresses me.

I have corsa indy's 4 pro tips, ghl two pro tips, bassani thunder race two tip big oval exhausts. The corsa's are highest pitched and no drone like a race car at high rpm and slightly louder at cruise ,the ghls are like borla's two tip but a little quieter and no drone and the bassani has the exotic sound to them Ferrari at mid throttle and indy race car sound at high rpm and slightly louder at idle with no drone and the quietest at no load driving.

Been there, done that, own the t-shirt I've probably had about 6 different exhaust on my car If you ask any of the local crew I hang with, they all laugh at me actually some of the changes I made because of other mods to my car that affected the exhaust.

I had the Corsa's too, they were my first choice and I did not like them at all. The website sound clips are a bit misleading. They do sound a little better with Longtube headers.

I had the SLP Loudmouths too, but when i added my cam and heads they got too loud

Go try and listen in person next time to someone else’s car that is the best bet, and how I finally figured out which exhaust I liked the best...which is BB PRT's

Been there done that as well. Bought the Indy Pace Car and just could not get used to that sound. Even put headers on and STILL could not get used to it.
Put the Borla Stingers on Now there is a great sound However with headers and no cats the drone was awful (I have an A4).

Switched the Borlas for a set of factory ZO6 Titanium Man it is great now. I can drive without getting a headache, I can speak to a passenger, when I put the go pedal down she roars.
I love it now.

Many people would love to have your system, and would gladly trade their Borla Drones for the Pace Cars.

In response to your original question here, "did you ever get an exhaust and regret it?"... Yep... I originally had TI's and thought they were too mellow. I then went with Borla Stingers (Quad round tips) and the drone drove me absolutely nuts. I then switched to Corsa Pace Cars around 6 months ago and they will stay on the car for as long as I own it.

The bb bullets are the loudest, then the borlas, then the prt's.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi MI00vette -

Nice compilation.

I recognize some of my comments in there.

Thanks again - a good read all in one place.

I appreciate the effort you put into this.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
tmqdoc1
Instructor

Hey thanks man. Just bookmarked this. I plan on upgrading exhaust in a couple months. I will definately come back to this.

Chris.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Magnaflow description was dead on. Their x-pipe makes it sound even better.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
BlueB4C
Advanced

Very nice write-up. I wish I could find someone with input on the Hooker system though. I have only found one to listen to (on youtube) and like the way it sounds but no one else seems to have it.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM
randy814u
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not see the hooker system in there. I liked it at 2000 plus rpm, but not down low. Then a cam change fixed that.

At 365 shipped, it needs to be heard.

Yes, I am cheap. Randy
Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM
MI00vette
4th Gear

If anyone finds a sound clip of the Hooker system or has any other opinion on it, please post it. At 365, it would definitely be a cheaper option.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
gsxrjack
Burning Brakes

Before I put my headers on my borla stingers had no drone at all....In fact i wasnt even sure what "drone" was...that is untill I installed my headers...now I know what drone is..(right at 1500 rpm--65-70 in 6th) its not bad enough to get rid of them but it is a little irratating...but they do sound nice wide open with the tps headers and hi-flow cats with X pipe
Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Riley P
Racer

I do not know the names of all the companies, so I do not know if they are mentioned, but what about GHL?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The Magnaflows combined with a set of long-tubes really come alive and sound awesome. Not too loud but very powerful sounding, and that's before you're at WOT. Then it gets even better!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 AM
DsC5
Race Director

Nice writeup. I found your one note re: failing inspection for noise interesting. I failed miserably with the bullets and then with the stock titanium mufflers back on, I was less than 1 dB under the noise limit. And I have stock cats.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:03 PM
primus1111
8th Gear

Default primus1111

I have a C5 Anniversary Conv. About 15,000 miles and bone stock. I have read your posting as to after market exhaust systems. I did not see you addressing the installation of the titanium mufflers and I was wondering if you had any information on those. I am considering the Corsa Pace system, mostly because it seems from other postings that it has the least drone. Do you agree? And if you have info on using the titaniums instead of the Corsa, I would appreciatr anything you might have.

Thanks.

primus1111
Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Great Post!

Great service!

Thanks!

You have helped me me immensely in deciding which way to go with exhaust.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
W4JBR
Cruising

Default Bassani Duals

I don't think they offer them anymore, at least I can't find them listed.

You can see from the photo of my 'Butt' that they are nice looking and unlike any you will likely find on many cars, thus their appeal to me. I bought them online and can't remember from which store~~

They have a nice throaty sound on start up, no drone at highway speed and a nice WOT note!

Hopefully a set of American Racing Headers will wake them up some...

JBR

Get notified of new replies

To Comprehensive Exhaust Comparison

Quick Reply: Comprehensive Exhaust Comparison