C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with Battery Tender Promblems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 PM
SNOWRAIDER
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with Battery Tender Promblems.

I have three vettes, a 1996, a 2000, and a 2004 Z06 with a Gel Cell. I have been using the Battery Tender Plus model on all three. I have replaced the battery on my 2000 twice in the last 14 months, the battery on the 1996 two times in the last two years, and now the 2004 Z06 Gel Cell is bad. I am lost. I am not sure if it is a issue other then the Battery Tenders, or have others of you had these issues to? Everytime I pull up a search on Battery Tender on this forum, everyone has nothing but Great things to say about them. Am I doing something wrong by leaving the Battery Tenders hooked up all the time, are they not made to sit for months at a time with the Tender on them? Any insight would be appreciated. Do I have the wrong Bqattery Tender, ect? Thanks in advance for advice and help on this!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM
SNOWRAIDER
Pro

ttt
Old 04-24-2008, 07:08 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I recently posted that my second Battery Tender in two years burnt out, I will no longer use them. I bought the CETEK. Link
Old 04-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,014 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I bought the CETEK
Old 04-24-2008, 11:43 AM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used them for three years here in Flagstaff. Due to the snow and chemicals they have been on at times for three months straight and I have had no problems. I have never used gel batteries however, so I don't know if that is the problem or not.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You referred to having a "Gel Cell" battery in each of your cars...maybe that particular battery manufacturer is the issue?
Are you using the term "Battery Tender Plus" in the generic sense?
If you have a BATTERY TENDER PLUS (@ 1.25 amp) by DELTRAN CORPORATION, have you contacted DELTRAN about your issues? It may be covered under warranty.
That amperage is perfectly fine for almost any battery (including OPTIMA). It's a slow rate of charge which is more beneficial to batteries to keep them fully charged w/o harming the internals with to much heat.
Leaving your BATTERY TENDER PLUS connected full time is not a problem. You can read the FAQ on their website.
I use only OPTIMA batteries (except on our new Silverado) and maintain them during periods of non use full time on a BATTERY TENDER PLUS. That's almost six months of winter in my case.
My Z16 is always maintained on a BATTERY TENDER PLUS. I've never had a (OPTIMA battery or) charger fail yet (used since '95).
The CTEK is very popular in Europe. It's made in Sweden. It might have different features than BATTERY TENDER PLUS.
It costs a little more and I'm not sure of the warranty in comparison. You can find them at some of the site supporting vendors and I've seen them at some battery shops.
I've read of one failure of a CTEK charger, so anything man made can fail...

Last edited by hotwheels57; 04-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
VETTE26yearsVETTE
Instructor

[QUOTE=hIAre you using the term otwheels57;1565165656][/se?
If you have a BATTERY TENDER PLUS (@ 1.25 amp) by DELTRAN CORPORATION, have you contacted DELTRAN about your issues? It may be covered under warranty.

CALL DELTRAN, # SHOULD BE IN YOUR MANUAL OR YOU CAN GET IT ONLINE. THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL WHEN I HAD A PROBLEM
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Ron222
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Battery tender plus Rocks....been using it on my harley's for more years then I care to remember. Bought another one for the vette...No problems. I did have one unit go bad....I live in Florida and their factory/customer service is close by so I drove down to see them, walked in, they checked the unit for me while I waited, found it was bad, gave me a new one. Didn't even have the receipt. They are great people to work with. Wouldn't buy anything else.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If it's a true gell and not absorbant glass mat the charge rate is different. You should consider a phase charger that has settings for the different batteries. Consult with Chip at CCA
Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

I have a true Deltran Battery Tender. I have gone through 2 NEW GOOD batteries in 3 years on my C5. That said, my car is stored for long periods of time. I still think these chargers are at fault.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have a Battery Tender Plus that I got at Pep boys. I used it on my C4 for 4 years with no problem, and now on my C5 for the past two winters. It has an internal chip which is supposed to maintain optimal battery levels. Do you have 3 separate battery tenders, or is it just one which has multiple connectors for more than one car? This company makes both types. If it is three different units, there may be a problem with compatibility with the type of batteries you have. If it's just one battery tender with connectors for more than one battery, perhaps it's that one unit that is defective. I agree that I would contact the company, because I think these things work great. The other possibility is that there may be a problem with the power source for the battery tender. Check the power where you plug it in, and make sure that is functioning properly too.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery Tender Plus not working

Originally Posted by SNOWRAIDER
I have three vettes, a 1996, a 2000, and a 2004 Z06 with a Gel Cell. I have been using the Battery Tender Plus model on all three. I have replaced the battery on my 2000 twice in the last 14 months, the battery on the 1996 two times in the last two years, and now the 2004 Z06 Gel Cell is bad. I am lost. I am not sure if it is a issue other then the Battery Tenders, or have others of you had these issues to? Everytime I pull up a search on Battery Tender on this forum, everyone has nothing but Great things to say about them. Am I doing something wrong by leaving the Battery Tenders hooked up all the time, are they not made to sit for months at a time with the Tender on them? Any insight would be appreciated. Do I have the wrong Bqattery Tender, ect? Thanks in advance for advice and help on this!
Hi, below is a link to a recent thread concerning Deltrans Battery Tender Products. It's a long thread but It is interesting opinions and may have some helpful input to your problem. You are not the only one experiencing the stated problem. And the thread does come to some interesting conclusions. Also I am assuming when you say gel cell you mean AGM as I am not aware of any true gel cels being used in corvettes any more. But if you mean a TRUE GEL CELL they do require different charging products than even an AGM.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1999447
Good Luck...

Last edited by bestvettever; 04-27-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Gel Cell VS. AGM

Hi, For those that are unsure as to the difference between GEL CELLS and AGM here is an excerpt that explains it fairly well. Optima is an AGM
Good Luck
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GEL vs. AGM Sealed Batteries
AGM (absorbed glass mat) is a special design glass mat designed to wick the battery electrolyte between the battery plates. AGM batteries contain only enough liquid to keep the mat wet with the electrolyte and if the battery is broken no free liquid is available to leak out.

Gel Cell batteries contain a silica type gel that the battery electrolyte is suspended in, this thick paste like material allows electrons to flow between plates but will not leak from the battery if the case is broken.

More often than not an AGM Batteries are mistakenly identified as a Gel Cell Batteries. Both batteries have similar traits; such as being non spillable, deep cycle, may be mounted in any position, low self discharge, safe for use in limited ventilation areas, and may be transported via Air or Ground safely without special handling.

AGM Batteries outsell Gel Cell by at least a 100 to 1. AGM is preferred when a high burst of amps may be required. In most cases recharge can be accomplished by using a good quality standard battery charger or engine alternator. The life expectancy; measured as cycle life or years remains excellent in most AGM batteries if the batteries are not discharged more than 60% between recharge. There are some AGM batteries we sell that offer excellent 80%+ deep cycle abilities. That part of the explanation is a bit contradicted by Optimas web info, as they proclaim at least a 90% to full charge rate is needed to get full expected life from their product.
Gel Cell Batteries are typically a bit more costly and do not offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. The Gel Cell excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries. If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed.[/COLOR]

Last edited by bestvettever; 04-27-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

That is the true explanation of all the types ^^^^ great post bestvettever
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used my Battery Tender Plus since I got my C5 in 2001...I don't leave it hooked up to the battery continuously though...I have used it on the Vette...the GTO...Escalade...rotate the same Tender between the vehicles I am not really using...in the warmer months I am driving them more so no Tender...
Good Luck,
Bill
Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
stonecoldsaysto
Advanced

Default Battery Tender Plus +

I have 2 battery tender + units that i switch every few days or when i can remember between 3 - 4/wheelers, 2 cars, 1 John Deere tractor,& 2 Motorcycles constantly all year & so far no problems !!! BUT When at JC Whitney recently - i noticed in their reduced section they had a battery tender + for $15 unopened & i was taking it to the counter & before i got there NOTICED IT WAS FOR 6 VOLT Batterys !!!!
I Did NOT BUY IT THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!

SO CHECK YOURS IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS THAT ITS NOT for 6 VOLT !!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used my DBT+ for seven years with no charging issues - my factory battery was changed in 2001 due to leaking and it was replaced with the Delco AGM that I replaced in 2006 because I was seeing it was having trouble getting over 50% charged, and I replaced it with an Exide Orbital AGM. My original DBT+ failed in 2006 and Deltran replaced it under warranty, but no charging issues. It's been very reliable. I leave the battery connected for months during the winter to maintain the charge.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help with Battery Tender Promblems.

Quick Reply: Please help with Battery Tender Promblems.