C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM
RidgecrestC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Tank problem

Yesterday I ran out of fuel on the I-15. I know I had fuel but my guage has been flacky lately so I was going by miles for fill up. Anyway once I got to gas station it only took 9 gallons of fuel. Guage works fine for about 100 miles then dropps to nothing but it seem as if the fuel is not getting from one tank to the other? Any ideas?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you say it ran out of fuel and only took 9 gallons,Sounds like you are having problems with the RH Fuel tank with the siphon jet pump being clogged. Car would not run if the LH tank pump was not working.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 PM
max'svette
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

If you were going by miles... how many miles did you drive before you ran out of gas?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
corvettejoe98
Racer

sounds like you need about 4 bottles of techron. Use 2 for every 20 gallons. Let it sit over night each time and then just drive it. Use only top tier fuel too. (shell v-power) to be specific. Had a major gas guage problem and have been using techron and only shell v-power and its about 90% fixed at the moment.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jirasvet
If you say it ran out of fuel and only took 9 gallons,Sounds like you are having problems with the RH Fuel tank with the siphon jet pump being clogged. Car would not run if the LH tank pump was not working.

Yup .... check the DTC data to confirm, but sure sounds like your car is not transferring fuel from the right to the left tank. The PCM recognized this and commanded the IPC to display LOW FUEL on the DIC and to set your fuel gauge to EMPTY. You ran out of gas because you decided to ignore the warning messages. You tried to "outsmart" the car ..... well guess what ... car is smarter than you.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
RidgecrestC5
Instructor

Any Ideas how to unclog. I only run Chevron Premium and my Wife also knows to only use Chevron????
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RidgecrestC5
Any Ideas how to unclog. I only run Chevron Premium and my Wife also knows to only use Chevron????
As I said in my above post .... check the DTC data to confirm ....
You could try some Techron, but if the right tank is not feeding fuel to the left, the Techron probably won't help. Also, with the right tank already full ... there is very little Techron that will get over to it.

You will need to pull the right tank sender and inspect the pump.

* Right tank pump is fed fuel from the pressurized fuel line out of the left tank/electric fuel pump. Ensure it is being supplied fuel for the "siphon" effect to work.

* Pump may be clogged with debris

* The feed line from the siphon pump to the left tank may be clogged.

You will need to plan on draining about 9 gallons of fuel from the right tank in order to remove the sender.

DO NOT work on the fuel system in a garage or other location that has any kind of ignition source such as a water heater. You will have an almost explosive mix of gasoline fumes .... certainly a highly flammable mix. Be careful.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:07 PM
dredpyrt
Instructor

Default Sender

Can the sender be accessed without dropping the fuel tanks?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by dredpyrt
Can the sender be accessed without dropping the fuel tanks?
Yes.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
RidgecrestC5
Instructor

I took the Vette to dealer for repair, there was no codes in the DTC but the technician said since the Fuel gauge was registering empty it tells the left tank to quit pumping to the right so once the right is empty there you sit. New fuel sending unit fixed problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
MRRAZZY2003
Intermediate

Default Fuel Gauge

to Corvettejoe98:

I've been trying the Techron in a 2004 with no luck. Been using Shell with it. I'm on my 4th bottle and only with Shell. Any tricks to be aware of? I can live with it, but what a pain. Mine quits at about 1/2 tank down to about 1/4. Fine on both sides of that range. I know my cruising range pretty well so have been managing it but one would thionk when we spend what we do on these cars, we'd get a fuel system that would work properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Tank problem

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank problem