C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring HELP!!!!!

My check engine light keeps flashing (No codes stay) which means I’m misfiring. I ran into this earlier in April and took my car to the stealer ship. They saw that my stock spark plug wires had melted in certain points due to the heat of my aftermarket headers. So I replaced all of the wires with new Magnecor ignition wires (& also added Kool Socks). This fixed the initial problem. Now my car is misfiring again and I can’t figure out why. I took out all my Magnecor wires and reinstalled them again just to make sure they were all secure but she is still misfiring. After the car cools the misfiring seems to go away but the second it heats up it comes right back.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else could be causing me to misfire? Any help would be great.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDR425
My check engine light keeps flashing (No codes stay) which means I’m misfiring. I ran into this earlier in April and took my car to the stealer ship. They saw that my stock spark plug wires had melted in certain points due to the heat of my aftermarket headers. So I replaced all of the wires with new Magnecor ignition wires (& also added Kool Socks). This fixed the initial problem. Now my car is misfiring again and I can’t figure out why. I took out all my Magnecor wires and reinstalled them again just to make sure they were all secure but she is still misfiring. After the car cools the misfiring seems to go away but the second it heats up it comes right back.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else could be causing me to misfire? Any help would be great.
I hate to state the obvious about checking the plugs. Inspect around the engine in the dark with it running to see if you see any arcing. Just because the wires aren't melted, doesn't mean they are good.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
GREG O.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem . going to try msd wires. u might want to check the ground wires like i did. There is a post on here somewhere that has a pic. where all the ground wires are. good luck. to ya
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Replace the plugs. You could have a hairline crack which you can't see.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 PM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I hate to state the obvious about checking the plugs. Inspect around the engine in the dark with it running to see if you see any arcing. Just because the wires aren't melted, doesn't mean they are good.
I just checked that and couldn't see any arcing in the wires...
Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 PM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREG O.
I have the same problem . going to try msd wires. u might want to check the ground wires like i did. There is a post on here somewhere that has a pic. where all the ground wires are. good luck. to ya
Ground wires? Can anyone find the link for this?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 PM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2002rich
Replace the plugs. You could have a hairline crack which you can't see.

So bad a bad spark plug could also be the problem?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

So bad a bad spark plug could also be the problem?
For sure.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:25 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

[/SPOILER]
Originally Posted by lucky131969
For sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Misfiring HELP!!!!!

Quick Reply: Misfiring HELP!!!!!