C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing intermittent traction control code 1214, do you think I need to service TCS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Throwing intermittent traction control code 1214, do you think I need to service TCS?

Have recieved this code 4 times the last month and upon starting the car up yesterday on cold start got it again.

Starts off service ABS and then service traction control and the traction control orange light and abs get lit on my dic.

Its throwing 1 specific code which is TCS 1214.

What is the significance of this code which I just reset when I get it and car runs fine, but upon HARD BRAKING i am hearing a strange noise from front of car that is not normal and this started upon same time as code being thown.

What does this sound like to you guys and I am still under GM warranty until December and do you think I need some signifcant service from my dealer to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Since you are still under warranty let GM worry about that one. The usual repair for C1214 is replacement of the EBCM and in a lot of cases the BPMV. Had both on my car replaced under GMPP last year.

Bill
Old 06-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since you are still under warranty let GM worry about that one. The usual repair for C1214 is replacement of the EBCM and in a lot of cases the BPMV. Had both on my car replaced under GMPP last year.

Bill

Will this however if replaced effect my recent dyno tune in anyway. I would think not but don't know for sure?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I had the same problem under warranty. The dealer will connect the Tech 2 to look for the code 1214. Once verified they'll order you a new EBCM. You can still drive the car until the repair is executed. You might want to try and avoid situations where you would have to depend on your ABS, though.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Will this however if replaced effect my recent dyno tune in anyway. I would think not but don't know for sure?
The repair will not involve any retuning. However, if the tech found an update for your PCM he might do a courtesy update so it might be worthwhile telling them you don't want them to do anything to the PCM.

Bill
Old 06-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by striper
I had the same problem under warranty. The dealer will connect the Tech 2 to look for the code 1214. Once verified they'll order you a new EBCM. You can still drive the car until the repair is executed. You might want to try and avoid situations where you would have to depend on your ABS, though.
Great info guys I appreciate it.

I take it the funky abnormal sound (not very loud) I am hearing upon hard braking is related to this?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

I had mine rebuilt about a year ago and installed it myself. Same code.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

There can be other causes, but the EBCM is generally the fault, ABS FIXER. com repairs them with a lifetime warranty for a reasonable cost.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Remove/Install procedure located here (last one):

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm
Old 06-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy, Give me a call. I have a site that can rebuild the EBCM's on the cheap.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:07 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Robls6
Jimmy, Give me a call. I have a site that can rebuild the EBCM's on the cheap.
post no. 8
Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Jimmy, if you are under warranty, just call Kevin at Libertyville...your tune will be fine. Kevin knows us all and that none of us are running stock tunes since he's done the work on half our cars anyway

ABS fixer is a good resource too, if you want to remove the parts yourself and send them in. I have read a few recent threads though where they were not able to fix the unit , or get it to stop causing problems. If you are not under warranty this is the route to go.

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-30-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Jimmy, if you are under warranty, just call Kevin at Libertyville...your tune will be fine. Kevin knows us all and that none of us are running stock tunes since he's done the work on half our cars anyway

ABS fixer is a good resource too, if you want to remove the parts yourself and send them in. I have read a few recent threads though where they were not able to fix the unit , or get it to stop causing problems. If you are not under warranty this is the route to go.

Yeah Tank, its time to call Kevin at Libertyville as it seems I need a new ECBM!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this problem for the past 6 months. No problem driving, but the ABS is definitely out of commission- like driving a C3 or earlier vette. My local Chevy dealer wants $1500 for the fix.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by RIJVETTES
I have had this problem for the past 6 months. No problem driving, but the ABS is definitely out of commission- like driving a C3 or earlier vette. My local Chevy dealer wants $1500 for the fix.
If you are out of warranty, don't go to the dealer. It's expensive and unnecessary. Go to www.absfixer.com, where they can fix your module for a $150 and warranty it for as long as you own your car. It just requires a little work on your part but will be much better than having the dealer fix it. Also, be careful while driving your car without the ABS working. A senior citizen in a Buick (redundant?) cut me off going from the left lane to make the exit he didn't want to miss. When I slammed the brakes on, the car skidded and slid a little, which really surprised me. You can drive with the module out while it's being fixed.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 AM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

If you are out of warranty, don't go to the dealer. It's expensive and unnecessary. Go to www.absfixer.com, where they can fix your module for a $150 and warranty it for as long as you own your car. It just requires a little work on your part but will be much better than having the dealer fix it. Also, be careful while driving your car without the ABS working. A senior citizen in a Buick (redundant?) cut me off going from the left lane to make the exit he didn't want to miss. When I slammed the brakes on, the car skidded and slid a little, which really surprised me. You can drive with the module out while it's being fixed.

That is what I did. Its an easy fix, and can be done with basic tools.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanksfully, I am still under warranty and have Kevin at Libertyville Chevy involved and helping me out and he will work on the car under warranty (which expires in Decebmer).
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanksfully, I am still under warranty and have Kevin at Libertyville Chevy involved and helping me out and he will work on the car under warranty (which expires in Decebmer).
Be weary though. The issue with the EBCM is poor part quality. You could easily have this problem again in a couple of years. Brandon @ absfixer.com rebuilds your EBCM with better quality parts.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Great info guys I appreciate it.

I take it the funky abnormal sound (not very loud) I am hearing upon hard braking is related to this?

Hi Jim,
I noticed no one answered this question, that does not sound consistant with a bad module.
I got a code on mine a year or so back and got the Service Trac Control etc and checking all the codes it said there was a problem with the right front wheel sensor or somethuing to that effect.
I was getting a small like rattle from the right front.
I pulled the wheel and found that the sensor wire was torn up and one was totally separated. I was fortunate that they were not torn out of the hub. I rewired it and cleaned up all the connections and hsave not had the same problem again.
Make sure you have them check the hub, bearing etc just for grins and giggles.

Get notified of new replies

To Throwing intermittent traction control code 1214, do you think I need to service TCS?

Quick Reply: Throwing intermittent traction control code 1214, do you think I need to service TCS?