C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 c5 headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 PM
warpster
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are standard dual 87 terminal relays....
The parts can be found at http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Rel...i_SPDT_12v.asp or you can get them from the first site I listed, call him.

(2) Hella Waterproof/Weatherproof Skirted Relays (**):
(Item #HL87411, SPDT, Resistor)
(2) Hella Waterproof/Weatherproof Relay Base(**):
(Item #HL87173, 5-Wire)

You will need a relay for each bulb on each side, so low beam HID only 2 relays, HID highs and HID lows 4 relays. If yours is a 2001 or prior you can get away with one per Lows and one for highs (tying both sides to that one relay). 2002 and up the computer looks at both sides to determine if any bulb is out.

Last edited by warpster; 07-20-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 PM
CharlieB1979
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Warp!

My Vette is a 2000, so according to what you're saying, I need:

(1) Hella waterproof/Weatherproof Skirted Relay
(1) Hella Waterproof/Weatherproof Relay Base

Does that sound right to you? I've only got the HID conversion for the low beams, not the high beams.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
warpster
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should only need it for the lows ,correct. That should put the appropriate load on the lows. However I have posted this before and people said it was wrong so???? I don't have the HIDs to duplicate it. I'm just going by what I know from when I installed my higher wattage Euro headlights and what others in this thread were saying about a relay. But that should remove the HIDs from the picture and make it seem stock to the computer. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM
smglass21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 c5

Originally Posted by Doug@MorosoPerformance
Looking at the schematics it looks like the same power supply opens and closes the head lights so I do not think it is a fuse. I had the same problem with the first set of HIDs I installed. The transformer for the HIDs did not have as much resistance as the standard head light. Due to the difference in resistance the headlight opening door actuator control module did not get a signal from the bcm that the lights were off and therefore would not close the doors. Turning on the high beams was the only way I could get the doors to close

This was a fairly common problem with the early HIDs but I thought it had been corrected. I would call the manufacture.
where would be the actuator control module,mine is doing the same,my battery died,i replaced it with a new one,and that started

Quick Reply: 2000 c5 headlight question