C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm lost- Need advise, help, and some beer

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 PM
1stz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm lost- Need advise, help, and some beer

About 500 miles ago I tore my car apart for the 4th time to make sure everything is fresh for the new owner (I'll be selling it in the next month or so). I had a valve job done, new springs, new ARP bolts, head gaskets, etc....

That was 500 miles ago. On a beautiful sunny day last week I drove my C5Z to work and all of a sudden, my A/C goes out. I chalk that on my list of "to do's" in the up and coming weeks. It sucks because it is 200 degrees most days but it is what it is, I'll fix it.

Tonight, on my way home from my Dad's, my DIC shows "Reduced Engine Power"...interesting?!?

Get home, I find like 15 codes, at least 15 codes. USually there may be 1 or maybe 2 but I am fanatical about checking them. I go through and erase all of them except the A1 RDCM. It reads: NO COMM.

Fire her back up adn run it for 2 minutes and bam...........reduce engine power again. I check the codes and there are about 15 codes again.

I say, "F' this POS", and I go to roll up my windows and my pass. window does work.......WTF else could go wrong with this POS.

I'm lost and I could use some helpful advise or just words of encouragments. Where do I start to get this car up and running. Mechanics are my specialty, I don't understand how electonics work.

Do I have a computer issue???

Please............

J.R.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

First thing you need to do is post up all the codes so we can se what they are.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sometimes the BCM (body control module) or EBCM (electronic brake control module) ****s the bed.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,587 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I had to laugh! Been there!

When you stated that your window didnt work, that makes me believe that one or both of the door wiring harnesses could be causing your issues. The door wiring harness connectors tend to have wiring issues and short out. I had a NO START issue because of the drivers door harness.

Pop out the accordion tubes:

See if you have bare wires and check the pins inside the connectors for corrosion, and or burnt pins.

This is a good place to start, as these are KNOWN areas of trouble!

BC
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
RaiderNick
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bill:

Is is possible the accordian connection you mention could be a culprit for why the on the passenger side the window works and the door lock doesn't?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yes it could but,,,,it could also be a bad relay in the door control module. You can try to just SHAKE the accordion tube and see if that changes the symptoms but your best bet is to disassemble the connectors and examine the connectors male and female connections and the wiring.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 PM
RaiderNick
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bill:

Thanks. I'd like to exhaust all the obvious possibilities prior to tearing into the door. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 PM
1stz06
Advanced

When I went to lock the car up last night the pass door lock wasn't working either. I tried it from the driver side door and the pass. door and neither one would lock the pass. door. I ended up locking it manually.

I'm going to check this thing out tomorrow and keep you guys posted.

Thanks for your help, any other ideas just post her up.

J.R.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
1stz06
Advanced

I went to check the car out yesterday to see if I could find out what the deal is and the car is dead....she knows I am trying to sell her

No problems in 3 years and all of a sudden..A/C compressor is out, driver side window motor is dead, driver side head light motor is jacked....it runs great though, when it runs.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Dead like NOTHING works or it just wont start. Please be a little more descriptive. Check the battery terminals. They MUST be torqued to 11 ft/lbs for proper connections, then measure the voltage AT the battery terminals. Report findings.

BC
Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 216 Posts

How's your battery? That would be the first thing I'd check. How long was it sitting when you took your car apart? These cars do all sorts of wacky things when the battery power is weak. This is probably the first and easiest thing to check. Eliminate the obvious. I had my interior apart for awhile this past winter and when I hooked the battery back up to start my car, the car wouldn't start and lots of things wouldn't work properly, if at all, until I gave the battery a proper charge. Everything was fine immediately after.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm lost- Need advise, help, and some beer

Quick Reply: I'm lost- Need advise, help, and some beer