C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RFA Cover, how to remove??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Padrino
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default RFA Cover, how to remove??

Before I just start taking stuff apart to get at the RFA, can anyone give me some instructions. I've looked at the plastic cover I assume it's under on the driver's side behind the rear speaker but I can't figure a simple way of getting at it. Anyone done this?? My RFA appears to be out.

Padrino
Old 07-19-2008, 05:38 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Plastic cover

On my '02 convertible that plastic cover just snaps off.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:33 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by byronhunter
On my '02 convertible that plastic cover just snaps off.
Same for me too on my FRC. The FRCs and the Verts share some of the same panels back in that area, but the Coupes are a bit different in their design. Maybe a Coupe guy can post up here with a tip. It shouldn't be too hard.

BTW, that would be the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver you're looking for.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Padrino
Pro

bump...l can't find a way to get this #$#@^&! cover off my coupe!!!

Padrino
Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Padrino
Pro

bump...
Old 07-21-2008, 03:16 PM
AllVette
Racer

1. Turn the ignition to OFF.
2. Remove the left rear compartment insulator (1).

3. Gently pull on the retainer at the back side of the receiver (1).
4. Pull out the receiver (1) only enough to expose the connector (2).
5. Disconnect the receiver connector
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Padrino
Pro

AllVette, you are a true gentleman. Thank you for this!!! I spent a good hour yesterday trying to figure out how the hell to get the panel off without ripping stuff out. Saw the bolt/nut toward the rear but it didn't make sense so skipped it. That is the key obviously. You just saved me a bunch of time.

Padrino
Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Padrino
Pro

Well.....I got as far as getting the nut off the bolt and all the surrounding carpeting, etc pulled of. I can't get the %$@@! black plastic cover loose (item #1 in the diagram). Is this thing glued on?? I don't want to break it but I can find no other way of getting it off other than just pure muscle...

HELP

Padrino
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Padrino
Well.....I got as far as getting the nut off the bolt and all the surrounding carpeting, etc pulled of. I can't get the %$@@! black plastic cover loose (item #1 in the diagram). Is this thing glued on?? I don't want to break it but I can find no other way of getting it off other than just pure muscle...

HELP

Padrino
When all else fails, grab the edges and give it a good hard yank. A lot of these interior panels are retained by a push-in type attachment on the backside that you can't see. Same for re-installing, line up the retainers with the applicable holes and give it a good thump with the ball of your fist.

In the past, I have had several of my (other) interior panels off and that's how it/they came off when there was no obvious screw or "christmas tree" push pin holding it.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Padrino
Pro

Default Big Help Needed...

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
When all else fails, grab the edges and give it a good hard yank. A lot of these interior panels are retained by a push-in type attachment on the backside that you can't see. Same for re-installing, line up the retainers with the applicable holes and give it a good thump with the ball of your fist.

In the past, I have had several of my (other) interior panels off and that's how it/they came off when there was no obvious screw or "christmas tree" push pin holding it.
Thanks LoneStar however, I did that to a point I was afraid of cracking the plastic. Also, put a flat blade between the plastic and the body panel. No good either. Is this thing glued on???? Surely, someone has had to remove one before

Padrino
Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Thanks LoneStar however, I did that to a point I was afraid of cracking the plastic. Also, put a flat blade between the plastic and the body panel. No good either. Is this thing glued on???? Surely, someone has had to remove one before

Padrino
Only advice I can give is that as long as you're sure there's no other screw/push-pins involved, then giving it a good hard sharp yank.

Also, have you explored the possibility that maybe (now that the other fastener you already removed is out) this particular panel is being held into some sort of "slotted" recess on the backside? In other words, try moving the panel forwards or rearwards to see if it disengages from a slotted hole and is then allowed to drop free.

If you prefer the flat blade approach, then try probing around the backside area with a flat blade tool that has as wide a blade as possible, until you can determine the actual attaching point and then twist the flat blade instead of prying.

HTH
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Padrino
Pro

Only advice I can give is that as long as you're sure there's no other screw/push-pins involved, then giving it a good hard sharp yank.

Also, have you explored the possibility that maybe (now that the other fastener you already removed is out) this particular panel is being held into some sort of "slotted" recess on the backside? In other words, try moving the panel forwards or rearwards to see if it disengages from a slotted hole and is then allowed to drop free.

If you prefer the flat blade approach, then try probing around the backside area with a flat blade tool that has as wide a blade as possible, until you can determine the actual attaching point and then twist the flat blade instead of prying.

HTH
Thanks again for the good advice. Tomorrow I'll try the flat blade approach first and then.....

Padrino
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Padrino
Pro

Default for those that come after me...

I took a " blade" and slipped it between the body panel and the black plastic cover. Sure enough, the panel was being held on with double sided tape, I mean really good double sided tape. I have no idea why they needed the bolt/nut to hold this thing on with the tape they used.

Padrino
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

I took a " blade" and slipped it between the body panel and the black plastic cover. Sure enough, the panel was being held on with double sided tape, I mean really good double sided tape. I have no idea why they needed the bolt/nut to hold this thing on with the tape they used.

Padrino
Excellent.

By double-sided tape do you mean the actual sticky stuff or are you referring to hook/loop material? I have come across some hook/loop stuff made by 3M that is strong as heck. It's like "industrial strength" compared to normal "Velcro".
Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Padrino
Pro

Excellent.

By double-sided tape do you mean the actual sticky stuff or are you referring to hook/loop material? I have come across some hook/loop stuff made by 3M that is strong as heck. It's like "industrial strength" compared to normal "Velcro".
this is the gray spongy double sided stuff.

What 3M velcro type stuff are you talking about. I need some as I've put my front license plate cover back on using velcro so I can remove it to show the plate underneath incase a LEO pulls me over for no front plate. The standard velcro is okay but I fear one day it will fail and I'll have to find another front cover.

Padrino
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

this is the gray spongy double sided stuff.

What 3M velcro type stuff are you talking about. I need some as I've put my front license plate cover back on using velcro so I can remove it to show the plate underneath incase a LEO pulls me over for no front plate. The standard velcro is okay but I fear one day it will fail and I'll have to find another front cover.

Padrino
The stuff I have found was at an electronics suppy store (not Radio Shack) and it comes in approx 15-20" strips and about 1" wide. What I liked about it was that you just cut pieces as needed from the same strip and they sick to each other, instead of like normal Velcro where one part is the "hook" and the other part is a soft material. This 3M stuff has "knobbies" (for lack of a better word) instead of little hooks. It has the same high quality adhesive backing that 3M is known for and you just peel off the backing to expose the adhesive side. When joining something with it, you have to apply more force to the two pieces and it really "locks" in place. Good stuff.

BTW, I just checked some that I still have and 3M calls it "Dual Lock". Apparently it comes in rolls and the store had cut it into strips to sell individually.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 07-24-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To RFA Cover, how to remove??

Quick Reply: RFA Cover, how to remove??