C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

How do I change a Fuel Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
jjh3349
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I change a Fuel Filter ?

I need to change the Fuel Filter on my 1998. Need instructions. Thanks for the help. JJH
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

It's located on the driver side in the tunnel between the tranny and the fuel tank. should be a 10mm bolt holding the clamp. Relieve fuel pressure from the rail then use your fingers to squeeze the plastic clips on the lines going into the filter. Push in lightly then pull the lines while the clips are collapsed. Slide old filter out and new one in. Push lines on the filter and they will lock in place. Turn key on and off about 4 to 5 times to fill filter and then start the vehicle, check for leaks and you're done.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

That's no fun, you've got the easier(and cheaper) one.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
myvette_99
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

how do u do the harder one, i think i have that one lol
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

http://www.cajundude.com/fuelfilter.htm

Excellent link!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:51 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by dmoore
I never understand why someone would go to the trouble of posting the pics with directions, and not demonstrate the correct tools needed for the task. The line removal tools are soo inexpensive......I just don't get it...
Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoore
The filter isn't there and then it's there... So does the fuel filter jennie just show up and poof it's there ???

Old 09-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought 2 sets of removal tools, neither worked. I kept trying every oil change. Even ground one tool down.

Then, one day, my fuel filter started leaking. That was it, I used my fingers and no problem.

Except, the "bracket holder" came off, had to "quick epoxy" it back to the body.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:11 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I bought 2 sets of removal tools, neither worked. I kept trying every oil change. Even ground one tool down.

Then, one day, my fuel filter started leaking. That was it, I used my fingers and no problem.

Except, the "bracket holder" came off, had to "quick epoxy" it back to the body.
Try to hook up with a local member so they can show you how to use the tools.....just like the slave cylinder connection....you can have the right tool, but if you don't know how to manipulate the connection, it won't come apart.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
jjspeedr
6th Gear

I developed a leak on the outlet side of the fuel filter on my 98 corvette. When the engine is running and there was pressure, no leak, as soon as I turned off the engine, fuel just poured out , ran down the side of the gas tank and onto the exhaust. I was lucky the car didn't catch fire. This is outrageous for a pressurized fuel system to leak like that. There appears to be an O ring inside the filter and that may have caused the leak. I think the connections and the filter itself is a defective piece of junk. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I have the factory service manual and it says the filter never has to be replaced. It was extremely difficult to get off. Rear stabilizer bar and muffler have to come off. I wonder if there was some kind of recall on this.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jjspeedr
I developed a leak on the outlet side of the fuel filter on my 98 corvette. When the engine is running and there was pressure, no leak, as soon as I turned off the engine, fuel just poured out , ran down the side of the gas tank and onto the exhaust. I was lucky the car didn't catch fire. This is outrageous for a pressurized fuel system to leak like that. There appears to be an O ring inside the filter and that may have caused the leak. I think the connections and the filter itself is a defective piece of junk. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I have the factory service manual and it says the filter never has to be replaced. It was extremely difficult to get off. Rear stabilizer bar and muffler have to come off. I wonder if there was some kind of recall on this.
Good lord......would you like some cheese and crackers to go with that whine?

10 year old fuel filter..........goofy...
Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have developed a fuel leak, almost in front of the left rear tire, maybe a little toward the center of the car, on my 97. I havn't had a chance to crawl under there yet. I noticed it today when I pulled it out of the garage for a wash. It seemed to leak mostly when engine was running and pretty much quit when I turned engine off. I'm wondering if I have the leaky fuel filter. I'll investigate the situation when time allows. For now it's just going to have to set until I can figure it out. I did a search on fuel leak and was lead to this thread.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
convertz
Pro

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I have developed a fuel leak, almost in front of the left rear tire, maybe a little toward the center of the car, on my 97. I havn't had a chance to crawl under there yet. I noticed it today when I pulled it out of the garage for a wash. It seemed to leak mostly when engine was running and pretty much quit when I turned engine off. I'm wondering if I have the leaky fuel filter. I'll investigate the situation when time allows. For now it's just going to have to set until I can figure it out. I did a search on fuel leak and was lead to this thread.

Its probably the filter. Its an easy job, just a bit difficult to avoid spilling fuel all over the place. As you disconnect the lines it starts to run down your arm, be careful, I hear it tingles the nipples. Keep a few towels handy.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
c5chines
Racer

Buy the GM filter from a dealer. The aftermarket ones leak within a few months. There is really no room to use any line tool, so the fingers are the best choice. Watch out for the sharp edges on the filter brackets or you will look like you wrestled a cat. The easiest way to get some room is to disconnect the flange on the exhaust (drivers side) and just expect the job to take an hour.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Nope get the right filter not the most expensive one

Originally Posted by c5chines
Buy the GM filter from a dealer. The aftermarket ones leak within a few months. There is really no room to use any line tool, so the fingers are the best choice. Watch out for the sharp edges on the filter brackets or you will look like you wrestled a cat. The easiest way to get some room is to disconnect the flange on the exhaust (drivers side) and just expect the job to take an hour.
My GM filter leaked like a sieve because one of the 2 nylon retainers disintegrated. Got an aftermarket filter that looks EXACTLY like the GM filter for half the price. Included 2 new retainers. REPLACE BOTH or you will be sorry later. Been on there for about 3 years and hasn't leaked a drop. For the person suggesting removing the muffler and sway bar once again NOPE. I did take out the 2 bolts from the muffler to the H pipe because my big hands couldn't get up there in the tight space to remove the disintegrated retainer. Used a small screwdriver on the bad one. The other one came out bu using fingers to squeeze the retainer and pull it out of the filter. Posted how I did this about 2 or 3 years ago. Go look you will find several posts how to do this.
BIGHANK
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
CMC1998
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
It's located on the driver side in the tunnel between the tranny and the fuel tank. should be a 10mm bolt holding the clamp. Relieve fuel pressure from the rail then use your fingers to squeeze the plastic clips on the lines going into the filter. Push in lightly then pull the lines while the clips are collapsed. Slide old filter out and new one in. Push lines on the filter and they will lock in place. Turn key on and off about 4 to 5 times to fill filter and then start the vehicle, check for leaks and you're done.

I have the fuel filter leak as well. How do you relieve the fuel pressure?

On another note, it blows my mind that some engineer approved the placement of the fuel filter over the exhaust pipe. How many fires has this caused ?????
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I finally got the fuel filter replaced but what a pain in the a$$. One problem was getting my hand to it up passed the exhaust. I almost took the exhaust system dowm but I worked passed that somehow. The other problem was disconnecting the fuel lines with one hand because I couldn't get both hands to it with the exhaust system in the way. I finally got the fuel lines loose after a few hours for I was trying not to damage anything and not having the correct tool. The next time I attempt the fuel filter change I will have a fuel line disconnect tool. Does anyone have a picture of the tool I need or a link to a site I can see the tool?

Get notified of new replies

To How do I change a Fuel Filter ?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
CMC1998
Instructor

I did the change in about 25 minutes. Still cant believe they mounted the filter above the exhaust. No tool used, expand the clips with your fingers.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CMC1998
I did the change in about 25 minutes. Still cant believe they mounted the filter above the exhaust. No tool used, expand the clips with your fingers.
You win the timed event award.

I would still like to have the correct tool for the job.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Any parts store sells the tool, Which is hard to manipulate in the tight confines allowed. Fingers are easier. What chaps my butt is you have a front mount engine and a mid mount fuel tank setup so why the heck put the filter in the back in the most inaccessible location?

Quick Reply: How do I change a Fuel Filter ?