C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Power Duct install (Help!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried heating the airbridge up to 170 degrees and I cooled my MAF down to 20 degrees. They were still not even close to fitting.

No amount of grease/lube is going to change that either.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 PM
kerryt1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine went right together with no issue, and I have no problems closing the hood either.

I'm sorry some of you are having problems, I can't understand why our experiences were so different.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I installed mine with some creative engineering (partly to make it fit better and improve the seal and partly due to integrating into a stock air box (bottom) lid).

I can share with you that there WAS an issue with the smaller MAF bridges (78mm - 97 - 2000), i.e. the molds were slightly off. This was corrected and new units shipped to vendors (about 2 weeks ago now). I have not heard (nor did the main technical resource I spoke to at Vararam before buying my bridge) of any issues with the 01+ (85mm).

I questioned the local tech extensively about fit, finish, choice of plastic / composition, etc. before purchasing.

After my creative engineering / Lowes parts sourcing, the bridge fits as well as the stock unit, does not even touch the hood liner at any point, much less rub or keep the hood from closing.

There are a few areas of improvement (I wish I had gone into mechanical engineering over IT sometimes); the bridge needs to be about an inch shorter on the MAF end (as you can see in the pics the MAF is sitting right on top of the TB opening, as mine did when I completed the install - there for a moment I almost considered trimming the plastic end of the MAF (I went with an 85Mmm MAF), but felt it might disturb the laminar flow on the end of the MAF, throwing off the calibration). In addition, they should have molded in the angle to align the MAF end with the TB end - similar to the way the Callaway adapter is designed (they had that part of their design correct - too bad the plastic they chose was too brittle - mine failed at about 5K miles, leaving me with an air leak before the MAF - needless to say I returned it to Callaway for a refund).

I don't know why the Vararam folks insist on all of this "interference fit" non-sense - same thing they did with the MAF to Vararam intake deal - of course when I had a Vararam on my car I trimmed the intake back a bit to allow the placement of a proper rubber coupler. On this bridge, same concept (interference fit), however better executed, although on my install (knowing the MAF would really never need to be separated from the bridge, even for cleaning) I ran a small bead of RTV around the edge of the MAF before inserting, filling in ANY small gaps the would / could arrive between the bridge opening and the MAF body (yes I understand about RTV + 02's = problem, no RTV / silicone entered the intake tract at all).

The plastic they chose for this bridge is "the right stuff" - not the hard / brittle stuff they are using for the intakes. IF Vararam would make the 2B's (call it a 3B I guess?) out of this bridge material, not only would they have a return customer (I loved the idea / design but hated the execution), but it would alleviate the concerns about cracking as well and I am sure it would help with the fit and finish.

All told this new bridge is a great idea - moving the MAF closer to the TB is a good move, and according to my logging it is flowing more air (higher MAP values) as well.

Again, with a little work on the install, it is a good piece and represents a good value.

On the OP's question / issue - it really does sound like you either a; recvd. one of those "defective", first run 97 - 2000 model units where the dimensions were off a bit (call Vararam and I am sure they will take care of you ASAP), or b; you are trying to install an 01+ MAF on an 97 - 2000 bridge.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 01-02-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Jims Z06
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey Guys..........

Recieved my "New" power duct from Patrick at Vararam yesterday. Took it out the box and immediately new that it would work. It was a different configuration than the first one I was sent.
The MAF slid right in with a little persuasion and everything lined up great! It was just a matter of selecting the right length couplers fore and aft to get the duct to sit down on the radiator support like the stock air box. No slamming the hood....no interference....no whistling! Can't wait for nicer weather to try it out and install some longtube headers.
Patrick at Vararam was very helpful.Thanks Pat!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Congrats Jim, I'm glad to hear there is a probable solution in place. My difficulty now is getting up with Vararam. I keep calling their tech line but the message box is full and by the time they call me back, I've left work (around 7:00 pm).

I'm certain they'll get me straightened out once we can talk on the phone. I've heard good things about these guys.

For reference:
I ordered the 97-00 airbridge but I'm running an '01+ MAF and a LS2 TB.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

The power duct installation described here is limited to early 97-2000 model cars. (smaller air meter)

What we are seeing is some of these cars have either an updated MAF or after-market MAF and the owner was not aware of this, because he/she is the 2n-3rd owner etc...
We have also found some "TWEAKS" GM performed during there production cycle (97-99 models) that alters the motors location in some cars, but, not all.

We have now made adjustments to these early model ducts to give more room for "fit" in this area if needed.

We will be updating our website to ask the customer to check the the MAF to make sure it has not been changed to a newer unit or in some cases a modified factory unit with the high flow MAF ends etc.. before ordering.

No matter the configuration or combination ,we can always customize a duct here in our factory for you if needed, at no additional cost.

We offer this to insure the same seamless installation as we have for the later 01-04 cars (which use a bigger MAF)
We also do this for different motor/manifold & supercharger combinations you may be running on your vehicle.

We always appreciate our customers feedback
VR Tech
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

Just as expected, Patrick and the gang got me all straightened out.

My hat's off to them for superior customer service.
Thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
newcastle3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default I know this is old, but these pics are the same as my problem

What did you do to correct this issue? I do not want to modify the radiator support.

Originally Posted by thezman
i still have a problem with my power duct there are two one is for 97 to2000 the other is for 2001 to 2004 ==here is my post http://http://forums.corvetteforum.c...post1568188395
DONT SLAM YOUR HOOD==Also your hood will not shut as it did originaly, you will have to SLAM IT HARD to get both sides to latch properly.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by newcastle3
What did you do to correct this issue? I do not want to modify the radiator support.
Don't modify anything. What year car do you have? Some came with different motor mounts and VR is aware of this. They will special make you one to fit if this is the case. Contact them.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Trpblk04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vsocks1
You could also try putting the MAF in the freezer and then heating the Power Duct!
This works.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

The couplers need to be used also. I'm not going back and reading the whole thread, but Newcastle I hope you used the couplers.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

I guess all of the little size variations in the engine bay make this product very difficult to line-up. I know mine isn't quite right either.
Must be why GM uses the accordion airbridge, to allow for mobility and adjustments...not to mention when the engine torques over when it's under load.
Definitely use the rubber couplers and the metal band clamps.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

gotta get one of these!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine will be here Friday. Hope it is not this hard to install! BTW, they are having a nice sale incl Powerduct.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
newcastle3
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Jhonathan_W
Don't modify anything. What year car do you have? Some came with different motor mounts and VR is aware of this. They will special make you one to fit if this is the case. Contact them.
I haven't modified anything yet, I have a 99 FRC. The MAF is in the duct, that is not the problem, the problem is like in the pics. The duct will not line up with the throttle body, it's almost like the engine is sitting too low in the engine bay.

I will try again to contact them.

UPDATE:

I just talked to Vararam and it looks like the duct will have to be modified, they are making one for me and I should have it by next week. This is obviously a common problem and if any one else has this problem my advice is to contact them before you modify anything.

I will update once I get and fit the new piece.

Last edited by newcastle3; 07-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
MDR1970
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newcastle3
I haven't modified anything yet, I have a 99 FRC. The MAF is in the duct, that is not the problem, the problem is like in the pics. The duct will not line up with the throttle body, it's almost like the engine is sitting too low in the engine bay.

I will try again to contact them.

UPDATE:

I just talked to Vararam and it looks like the duct will have to be modified, they are making one for me and I should have it by next week. This is obviously a common problem and if any one else has this problem my advice is to contact them before you modify anything.

I will update once I get and fit the new piece.
I ran into the same problem with my 98 when i tried to install last night. The guys at Vararam were great in answering my questions. They instructed me to remove a 1\2" off the front of the duct where the MAF goes. This allows it to move closer to the TB thus allowing it to drop down 3/4". Should fix my problem.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Reading this thread I had to chuckle....before this duct came out...I modded a Halltech airbridge to the vararam intake god what a PITA lots o cutting and shaving I went back to the stock airbridge, even using the accordian part...no notice in loss of power or anything.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone have any HP increase numbers using this Duct? I kinda do not like the idea of having the MAF directly in front of the TB.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

On my '04 I had no problems, but I used the stock air duct. I also found it handy to re-use the flexible "accordian" mounted at the throttle body. This allows for "play" when opening it up for cleaning.
My maf is at the far end of the stock air bridge. All fits well and works well.

Quick Reply: Vararam Power Duct install (Help!!!!)