C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T84's or HID's

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 AM
LT1vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure got some mileage on this thread. Good answers from all who participated...........

THX
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

one more thing I might add about HIDs in T-84 housings....
because the halogen bulb is a dual filament bulb, you don't have highbeams anymore if you install HID's in the T-84 housing.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
no, I never took a pic of the halogen bulbs in the T-84 housings, and they were no where near as bright as the HIDs.

but I can tell you that the T-84 housings with halogen bulbs in them had a noticeable cutoff similar to the projector HIDs (and the stock C5 fog lights), and that cutoff went away when I installed the HIDs in the T-84 housings (as you can see in my pic)........

Do you have a pic of the H4 HID bulb you used?

I think the T84 housing is good with halogens so I've been figuring installing higher wattage H4 bulbs and relays is a possibility since I installed these parts.

Peter
Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Do you have a pic of the H4 HID bulb you used?

I think the T84 housing is good with halogens so I've been figuring installing higher wattage H4 bulbs and relays is a possibility since I installed these parts.

Peter
no pic of the H4 HID bulb, but basically it was a HID bulb that fit into the H4 socket. nothing special.......

higher wattage H4 bulbs is the way to go........
Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

OK,

Did the bulbs compare to something like the seconds set on this page?

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html

I've seen so many, but those are like mine and they at least have reflectors in the right places and the HID arc in the same location as the halogen filament.

On another note, know of any good sources for good quality higher wattage H4's?

Peter
Old 01-10-2009, 11:42 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

OK,

Did the bulbs compare to something like the seconds set on this page?

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html

I've seen so many, but those are like mine and they at least have reflectors in the right places and the HID arc in the same location as the halogen filament.

On another note, know of any good sources for good quality higher wattage H4's?

Peter

no, they didn't have a retractable shield for high beams....
they were just plain HID bulbs.

sounds like you're leaning towards a bulb swap HID kit....
If I were you, I'd look into the ultra H4-4 Bi-Xenon kit, that way you will have a decent highbeam..
Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

no, they didn't have a retractable shield for high beams....
they were just plain HID bulbs.

sounds like you're leaning towards a bulb swap HID kit....
If I were you, I'd look into the ultra H4-4 Bi-Xenon kit, that way you will have a decent highbeam..
OK, it sounds like the kit you bought wasn't even a good H4 replacement. The shields and HID arc have to replicate the halogen bulbs for any chance it will work.

I something like that H4-3 kit with the moving bulb. Likely not as good as the H4-4 but still similar.

When I had the car out in the driveway there was a cut-off line across the garage that was better than the one in your pic. Maybe not as good as your projector pic but better than your HID in T84 housing pic.

Still, this doesn't mean they will really work (I've got to get them aligned and out on the road first to see) so I'm still open to using a higher wattage halogen. There are higher wattage halogens on ebay for something like $4 each so even buying say 8 of them and replacing more often would be cheaper than two "high quality" pricier ones.

Peter
Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

OK, it sounds like the kit you bought wasn't even a good H4 replacement. The shields and HID arc have to replicate the halogen bulbs for any chance it will work.

I something like that H4-3 kit with the moving bulb. Likely not as good as the H4-4 but still similar.

When I had the car out in the driveway there was a cut-off line across the garage that was better than the one in your pic. Maybe not as good as your projector pic but better than your HID in T84 housing pic.

Still, this doesn't mean they will really work (I've got to get them aligned and out on the road first to see) so I'm still open to using a higher wattage halogen. There are higher wattage halogens on ebay for something like $4 each so even buying say 8 of them and replacing more often would be cheaper than two "high quality" pricier ones.

Peter
Also keep in mind the much higher heat output of a higher wattage Halogen. The higher heat may dictate using some high-heat sockets as that extra heat will cause component degradation to be accelerated over time.

I'm also skeptical of many of the "high-wattage" Halogens that are being sold that DON'T have any actual Lumen output information listed. Higher wattage does not necessarily equate to more effective usable light output and may just be nothing more than headlight "heaters".
Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Peter

The kit I had was exactly like the kits that everyone else are buying in the other HID thread in C5 gen...

sounds like you're buying something a little nicer..
Old 01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter
I would recommend the Osram Bilux H4 85/80W for use in the T84 housings.
2400/1750 lumen's
No, I don't think you'll find them on Fleabay for $4.00
They were more like $20.00 ea. if interested PM me and I'll let you know where to get them.
These have a life expencity similar to the stock bulb, another thing to consider when modifying a lighting system.

Bob
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
LT1vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info................
Old 01-15-2009, 02:45 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by illmac77
Both, this is what I'm running
Besides using the ACA HID's, this is a good combination!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

I've had the car out and the HID in the T-84 housings throw lots of light. Problem is the low beams suck. The light goes everywhere and is too bright in front of the car and not enough down the road when adjusted low enough to not blind oncoming traffic too much. If I adjust the lights up much more the low beams throw as much light everywhere as most normal high beams. These light up reflectors on the left side of the road and way down the road too which vehicles with good halogen lights do not. So, everyone who posted don't do HID in the stock housings is right.

The T-84 with halogens have a cut-off just as good as the projector pictures you see.

The stock wattage bulb is not as bright as a HID projector so the next step is to install relays and higher wattage bulbs in these things and see how they work. They have a good beam pattern with a Halogen, so with a good bright bulb in there they should work very well.

Peter
Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just my 0.02c

I have to say HIDs have to produce the most output. Cheap HIDs may fail early and good HIDs are still pricey. Plenty of members have had success with them so it has to be a good mod IMHO. That said, I'm no HID expert.

I have Euros (T85 for UK). I bought the high wattage kit but I've only ever operated the low wattage H4 lights (65/55s) IIRC. I have 135/90s in the garage if I ever feel the need. The light pattern is great and the cut off means that you don't blind other oncoming cars. Theres enough light for me even on the low power bulbs and I drive through back roads here. The lenses with the Euros are glass and much higher quality than OEM. The down side is they're heavy so may put more strain on the headlamp motors if you use twilight sentinel. Its a simple fit and plug and play. To go high wattage you need the harness kit and relays. The cost is mid stream. At $300+ its more expensve than cheap (non DOT) HIDs but way cheaper than an approved set up.

My son tried HID bulbs in his Camaro. Much more powerful light but the mean time between failure was pitiful so he switched back to standard bulbs.

JMHO.

Last edited by DeeGee; 04-13-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had the car out and the HID in the T-84 housings throw lots of light. Problem is the low beams suck. The light goes everywhere and is too bright in front of the car and not enough down the road when adjusted low enough to not blind oncoming traffic too much. If I adjust the lights up much more the low beams throw as much light everywhere as most normal high beams. These light up reflectors on the left side of the road and way down the road too which vehicles with good halogen lights do not. So, everyone who posted don't do HID in the stock housings is right.

The T-84 with halogens have a cut-off just as good as the projector pictures you see.

The stock wattage bulb is not as bright as a HID projector so the next step is to install relays and higher wattage bulbs in these things and see how they work. They have a good beam pattern with a Halogen, so with a good bright bulb in there they should work very well.

Peter
T84's W/Osram 85/80W
Great compromise between extreme high wattage 135/130W = short life.
And great light that will not blind anyone!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

I just ebay'd 10 100W/90W bulbs for $14 and 10 relays and plug harnesses for $20 so I'll try them out. I hope the relays are OK because I can find a few more uses for them. Not really a big expense to lose if the parts are bad. Not that a $1.40 ebay bulb or $2 relay would be no good.

Peter
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Peter

That's exactly what I was saying......

Get notified of new replies

To T84's or HID's

Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Vette007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted a set of T84's with the high wattage kit in the classifieds if anyone is interested!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-wire-kit.html
Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 PM
SJPD
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my 100/130s H4's
Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

That's exactly what I was saying......
Yup, you posted it exactly right. The HID's in halogen housings blind the oncoming traffic and throw light everywhere you don't want it.

I've got the 100/90W bulbs in the car. Nice light pattern for the low beams which are much better than stock and give better visibility than the HID bulbs too (can see more of the road) but I have yet to get flashed with them. I got flashed every time out with the HID's. And do those 100W bulbs with the T84 housings ever throw a lot of high beam light. I have no problem seeing things over a 1/2 mile down the road. The light isn't as "white" as the HID but that doesn't really matter.

Peter

Quick Reply: T84's or HID's