C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Adjustment???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Parking Brake Adjustment???

My dad got in my C5 and parked it in my driveway....He didnt pull the parking brake to the last click and the car wanted to roll as he got out.... Is the same on all C5s or do I need to make an adjustment??

Thanks
Rob
Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Robert 2000
My dad got in my C5 and parked it in my driveway....He didnt pull the parking brake to the last click and the car wanted to roll as he got out.... Is the same on all C5s or do I need to make an adjustment??

Thanks
Rob

Might have to adjust the shoes by removing the rear rotors and cleaning out the adjusters, etc ...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Ohhh my not quite what I was hoping to hear but I ll just have to look into it some more....but hmmmm I wanna paint my calipers so if i would have to mess with the rotors good time to do some paint work also
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Thx btw

Rob
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert 2000

Thanks
Rob
I just did this adjustment on my 2000 FRC. It's not a big job. I recently bought a 01 coupe to use as a DD. I now have to adjust the parking brake on it. It's a common problem on C5s.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:29 PM
kevin40zx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ronjpics.com/Corvettestuff.htm#parkbrake

Good luck. Had to do this on my C5. Worked great.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
bluvette79
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't pulling up onthe ebrake several times supposed to adjust the pbrake? just thought i remembered something about that happening. no?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, the E-brake "pistons" have the little ratchet adjusters on them just like drum brakes did. Sometimes you can do the same trick we did with the old drum setup - roll backwards and jerk up on the handle several times. Going backwards seems to set the ratchet better. But, they do get gummed up over time, and just won't adjust or hold well. Then it's time to pop the rotor off and clean and lube everything. As stated above, no big deal - two big old bolts on the caliper and you're there. fYI, 125 ft-lbs on the caliper bolts.

DG
Old 01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by The Wrench
Yes, the E-brake "pistons" have the little ratchet adjusters on them just like drum brakes did. Sometimes you can do the same trick we did with the old drum setup - roll backwards and jerk up on the handle several times. Going backwards seems to set the ratchet better. But, they do get gummed up over time, and just won't adjust or hold well. Then it's time to pop the rotor off and clean and lube everything. As stated above, no big deal - two big old bolts on the caliper and you're there. fYI, 125 ft-lbs on the caliper bolts.

DG
let me set everyone straight on this... pulling up on the lever will only effect the slack in the cable, but not the clearance between the OD of the brake shoes and the ID of the Ebrake drum....
the only way to correct this problem is to adjust the star adjust which has no mechanism to auto adjust.. you have to physically turn the star out to a point where you almost have to push hard to get the drum over the shoes... You can not make the shoe diameter too big and still get the drum over the shoes.. the inside diameter of the drum is bigger where the shoes ride than when the shoes first enter the drum.. so you can not make it ( shoe diameter )too big and still get the drum over the shoes..
I hope this clears up all the urban legends, and less than accurate information.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Ok thanks guys I am planning on painting the calipers I ll do this too when I get around to it..

Thanks again appreciate it,
Rob
Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
let me set everyone straight on this...
Bill aka ET
No ratchet adjuster on the adjuster assembly.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry guys, you are absolutely correct - no ratchet adjuster on the C5. I had a senior moment. My apologies.

DG
Old 01-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by The Wrench
Sorry guys, you are absolutely correct - no ratchet adjuster on the C5. I had a senior moment. My apologies.

DG
Would make life easier if there was.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Default drum diameter

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
let me set everyone straight on this... pulling up on the lever will only effect the slack in the cable, but not the clearance between the OD of the brake shoes and the ID of the Ebrake drum....
the only way to correct this problem is to adjust the star adjust which has no mechanism to auto adjust.. you have to physically turn the star out to a point where you almost have to push hard to get the drum over the shoes... You can not make the shoe diameter too big and still get the drum over the shoes.. the inside diameter of the drum is bigger where the shoes ride than when the shoes first enter the drum.. so you can not make it ( shoe diameter )too big and still get the drum over the shoes..
I hope this clears up all the urban legends, and less than accurate information.
Bill aka ET
Mine has a small lip on the drum that makes it harder to start the rotor over the shoes as you indicated but this is due to wear over time I assume. Shouldn't I have the drum turned to remove this lip and this way I could get a better fit after adjustment or is this lip supposed to be there.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The lip you indicated is due to wear. If you purchase new rotors, that lip is not present. I would try to find a shop that will turn down parking brake surface to get the lip removed and to clean up the surface. I am assuming you have already purchased new replacement parking brake disks. You will not be able to get the best (tightest) adjustment with that lip in place. Also, that retaining spring was a pain in the neck to get it seated properly. Best of luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Default Rotor Drum

Originally Posted by Ray 2000 C5 FRC
The lip you indicated is due to wear. If you purchase new rotors, that lip is not present. I would try to find a shop that will turn down parking brake surface to get the lip removed and to clean up the surface. I am assuming you have already purchased new replacement parking brake disks. You will not be able to get the best (tightest) adjustment with that lip in place. Also, that retaining spring was a pain in the neck to get it seated properly. Best of luck.
The lip was very minimal and the shoes looked like new so I put the rotor back on after adjusting the shoes as tight as I could and still get the rotor on. Vette brakes hold but still not like I would like. From reading a lot of info on these type e brakes I concur with most of them that these are a poor design and really not made to slide the tires but will hold on a slight grade.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
The lip was very minimal and the shoes looked like new so I put the rotor back on after adjusting the shoes as tight as I could and still get the rotor on. Vette brakes hold but still not like I would like. From reading a lot of info on these type e brakes I concur with most of them that these are a poor design and really not made to slide the tires but will hold on a slight grade.
Mine work fine, have the lip on the rotor machined off then you can adjust them a little closer.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake Adjustment???

Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

There should never be any wear on the shoes or drums. The p brake is applied when the car is already stationary. The only time you would get wear is if someone is/ has driven with the p brake partially/applied. I agree the shoe to drum clearance is probably excessive.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Texan8205
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2003 C5 failed Texas safety inspection because I was told the Parking Brake didn't hold the car still while in drive with the engine revved to 1100 RPM. Heck, it started rolling at 300!

Removed the rear wheels, caliper and rotors and adjusted the shoes by turning the star wheel, per a thread on C5 forum. Parking break then held until about 800 RPM.

Following another suggestion, and realizing that the drum and shoes aren't perfectly round, I took to the neighborhood street and at 10 mph pulled the park break lever up. It screeched pretty loud the first couple of times but it wore down the high spot so more of the shoes contact the drums.

The park break now holds the car steady up to 1400 RPM and passed inspection.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:29 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by martysauto
There should never be any wear on the shoes or drums. The p brake is applied when the car is already stationary. The only time you would get wear is if someone is/ has driven with the p brake partially/applied. I agree the shoe to drum clearance is probably excessive.
They are parking brakes, not "e-brakes" and should last the life of the car. When correctly adjusted, the brake handle should have 11 clicks for full engagement.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Adjustment???