C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to buy crate engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

scoggin dickey for sure. LME is another great supplier. you keep alot of dough in your pocket if you build up a short yourself
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
hurst1979olds
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an Engine Factory Chevy 383 Stroker for my Truck. I did a long research with different crate engine companies. The Engine Factory, Matt and Bruce, is absolutely amazing.

They built the engine for my needs, I am towing my Harley once in a while. Also when you have questions, they will have an answer for you!

Get the matching March serpentine system also, it not only looks great but works even better. The engine is hot tested and runs right out of the box. Everybody who has seen it so far is just wowed. I wanted a daily driver I can depend on and that is what I got.

I did notice on their website they have a full line of LS engines carbureted and fuel injected.

This was one of the best decisions I made on the truck!

Good luck, give them a call you will not regret it.

Gunther
http://enginefactory.com/​letters.htm
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
foler
Intermediate

I cant understand why aftermarket engines cost almost double than from gmpp:
ls376/480 cost 6500$ from gmpp, you can buy it everywhere
ls3 500hp from engine factory cost 11000?
here is another zilion examples.

I read every day on internet new ls engine prices and cant find any other solution than gmpp. Simply the best bang for buck!!!

for 11000$ you can buy new gmpp engine, clutch, tranny, fead, ecm and harness kit...so, who is crazy here??? Maybe I am?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Scoggins generally has a good deal on cheap crate engines. We offer precision built race engines so we are going to be out of your price range but we send people to Scoggins all the time.

Look at what your getting for internals in order to make a proper comparision...

gm cheap casts pistons or forged ? What rods are in there ? There is a lot more to it than the accseeories... which are bone cheap to gm.... its the internals that are different and make up the cost differences
Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
foler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
Scoggins generally has a good deal on cheap crate engines. We offer precision built race engines so we are going to be out of your price range but we send people to Scoggins all the time.

Look at what your getting for internals in order to make a proper comparision...

gm cheap casts pistons or forged ? What rods are in there ? There is a lot more to it than the accseeories... which are bone cheap to gm.... its the internals that are different and make up the cost differences
Who need forged for 500hp N/A??? This is simple exaggeration and steal from customer. Do you want tell me that gm engine is to weak? Sorry, but here we talk about 2x bigger prices, not maybe 25%...
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
foler
Intermediate

one more thing...
many forum members write about http://sdparts.com and good prices...

Look this comparison for LS7:
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/19211710 (17000$)
http://paceperformance.com/i-6255553...te-engine.html (13600$)

I am from Europe so maybe I dont understand american market. But, mathematics is same everywhere!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by foler
Who need forged for 500hp N/A??? This is simple exaggeration and steal from customer. Do you want tell me that gm engine is to weak? Sorry, but here we talk about 2x bigger prices, not maybe 25%...

I said compare internals if you want to compare what your getting for the money. You totally avoided that by saying you don't need a 500 hp engine... LOL

Thats how its done. You want to compare apples to apples not apples to a banana's...

So when you look at what you get for the money yes strength of internals is part of the comparison....

"Steal from customer".. that's an ignorant line to use when we're comparing what you get for your money.

This guy already has an engine he doesn't really need all those accessories and extra parts. There are a lot of options to replacing an engine... you need to look at as many of them as possible.. crate engine are good if you don't have an engine in the first place as they give you all the accessories that add up to cost decent money but in general the the engine is performance built at all.

Look this comparison for LS7:
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/19211710 (17000$)
http://paceperformance.com/i-6255553...te-engine.html (13600$)

Two different part numbers.. are you sure they are the exact same?

I'll add to this as well... At those cost for an engine that comes with parts he already has... I can build him a prescion engine to make a lot more power so there are many many ways to do it

Last edited by 99blancoss; 03-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ CCPerformance is a great vendor.

Of course while it depends exactly what you are wanting, if you are wanting performance and far stronger than stock internals then I strongly feel that CCP's "refresh/upgrade" program is a pretty damn good deal for what they offer.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont forgot ecs. They have forged engines. If i ever have to replace my engine, Ill go to east coast supercharging....good like bud.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Scoggin Dickey is of the largest if not the largerst GM Performance parts and aftermarket patts dealers in the country. Heck Even GM dealers get GM create motors from SD.
SD has it all.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I bought a crate engine for my street rod from Apple Chevrolet in York, PA. I did a lot of research at the time and they were the cheapest of anyone I contacted. Because they make deliveries to other dealers within a few hundred miles of them, they even shipped it to me for free!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 PM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
I bought a crate engine for my street rod from Apple Chevrolet in York, PA. I did a lot of research at the time and they were the cheapest of anyone I contacted. Because they make deliveries to other dealers within a few hundred miles of them, they even shipped it to me for free!
Free Freight shipping is pretty cool!

But if one is in need of a new motor and is looking for something a lot better than stock then I'm all for Texas-Speed, ECS, and CCP. If only stock is wanted then definitely shopping around would prove to be the best option. SD has awesome prices and a ridiculously large inventory but if lucky you can find awesome deals floating around.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If your going to build an engine do it right.

Have seen many many half arz builds in the name of saving a buck go boom.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by foler
I have many STOCK LS3s go boom from hard 6500+ RPM racing

even with dry sumps to help with the common LS3 oiling issues.

Building strong race engines. take skill, the right parts and YES money.

HP, Readability, Low Cost: You can only pick TWO
Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

If that cylinder wall isn't cracked, you could just install a new piston in that hole. Also, someone may be able to save that cylinder head. I'm assuming that money , or the lack of it, is to be taken into consideration? Even if the cyl is damaged, you could get it sleeved, I'm pretty sure. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 PM
rollin59
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You might even check a local engine builder. In our area there are several builders of stock car engines who are happy to build you a nice motor. I went that route for a street engine for my classic car (small block Windsor Ford, not an LS motor).
Old 10-17-2017, 12:43 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by rollin59
You might even check a local engine builder. In our area there are several builders of stock car engines who are happy to build you a nice motor. I went that route for a street engine for my classic car (small block Windsor Ford, not an LS motor).
Rollin59, I see you're fairly new here. If you look at the thread, you'll see the posts are over 5 years old. I suspect he got his engine problem resolved by now (I sure do hope so!)

Quick Reply: Best place to buy crate engine?