C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size speed bleeder????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Jims Z06
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Default What size speed bleeder????

Hey guys I'm sure one of you gurus will have the answer!

I just got back from O'Riley's looking for a set of "Speed Bleeders". They had 3 different sizes 3/8-24, 5/16-24 & a metric size 10.5m, I believe. Problem is NO application chart! The guys spent about 20" with me trying to figure it out. All their books said was "all 3 part #'s" fit most GM's.
Soooooooooooo anyone have any idea if any of these will fit, or should I just pull my bleeder and take it over to see if any match up? They have them for $11.95 (pair), Mid-America wants $19.99 + shipping.
Oooops...2004 Z06, I'm installing a line-lock and would like the speed bleeders on the Z. I have a 70 1/2 Z28 with speed bleeders that I put on when I put the line-lock on it, and luv 'em!

So anyone have an idea??????????

Thanks guys,
Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 08:26 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Sb1010s
Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Jims Z06
Drifting

rws.1 Sb1010s
Thanks rws.1...is that a part #? I assume it is but from who?

Thanks again for the reply

Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the speed bleeder part number. I believe it is a metric M10 thread.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Jims Z06
Drifting

vsocks1 That is the speed bleeder part number. I believe it is a metric M10 thread.
Thanks........I appreciate it, I'll see what I can come up with!

Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that the size for all the way around??
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For both the front and rear calipers it takes #SB1010S and that is a metric size M10 X 1
http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Old 03-07-2009, 02:22 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What size speed bleeder?

If you have an Autozone in your area, go to them and have them look it up on their computer (brake parts). It will show the size/part number needed, 'tho I forget what it is. My store had to order the ones I needed for my 2003; several were on the shelf but none were correct for the C5. Autozone listed two prices--get the cheapest (about $10 for 2) as the more expensive ones listed were the same parts reboxed. Mine came with hardened, basically useless sealant on the threads--I removed that crap and replaced with several turns of teflon tape which will seal leakage around the threads so much better. All four calipers of my 2003 took the same bleed screw size. If you have further difficulty, let me know and I will go to the store and find out the vendor and part number. E-mail me at rboineau@hotmail.com rather than using the forum.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Jims Z06
Drifting

rboineau What size speed bleeder?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have an Autozone in your area, go to them and have them look it up on their computer (brake parts). It will show the size/part number needed, 'tho I forget what it is. My store had to order the ones I needed for my 2003; several were on the shelf but none were correct for the C5. Autozone listed two prices--get the cheapest (about $10 for 2) as the more expensive ones listed were the same parts reboxed. Mine came with hardened, basically useless sealant on the threads--I removed that crap and replaced with several turns of teflon tape which will seal leakage around the threads so much better. All four calipers of my 2003 took the same bleed screw size. If you have further difficulty, let me know and I will go to the store and find out the vendor and part number. E-mail me at rboineau@hotmail.com rather than using the forum.
ljthe2nd For both the front and rear calipers it takes #SB1010S and that is a metric size M10 X 1
http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Wow...thanks for all the help guys!
I ended up just pulling my RF bleeder and took it in to Auto Zone, NAPA and O'Reilly's...none had any in stock to match ..go figure
None seemed to think they could order the one I needed...couldn't believe it. I ordered a set from Mid-America $19.99 + tax/shipping $29
I should have waited and read your guys' last two posts!
I'm waiting for my Line-Lock to get here so I wanted them to make bleeding easier after the line-lock install.
Haste makes waste....
You were right M10 1.0 metric thread on all four...thanks again guys!

Jim
Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jims Z06
Wow...thanks for all the help guys!
I ended up just pulling my RF bleeder and took it in to Auto Zone, NAPA and O'Reilly's...none had any in stock to match ..go figure
None seemed to think they could order the one I needed...couldn't believe it. I ordered a set from Mid-America $19.99 + tax/shipping $29
I should have waited and read your guys' last two posts!
I'm waiting for my Line-Lock to get here so I wanted them to make bleeding easier after the line-lock install.
Haste makes waste....
You were right M10 1.0 metric thread on all four...thanks again guys!

Jim
You will probably only have to bleed the front brakes after your line lock install...that is all I had to do if I remember correctly!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I am intrigued... this answers my speed bleeder question, as I ran into this today myself while starting my brake swap.

But... what's a line lock?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot
I am intrigued... this answers my speed bleeder question, as I ran into this today myself while starting my brake swap.

But... what's a line lock?
A line lock allows you to push the brake pedal, flip a switch wired to a solenoid that will hold pressure in the front lines and release rears. This allows you to do a great burnout without undue stress to the rear!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by vsocks1
A line lock allows you to push the brake pedal, flip a switch wired to a solenoid that will hold pressure in the front lines and release rears. This allows you to do a great burnout without undue stress to the rear!
Wow, they make those??? I gotta get some!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot
Wow, they make those??? I gotta get some!
They have been around for over 40 years,,the drag racers came up with the idea back when stick shift was still king of the strip. They used it to prevent any slight clutch drag from causing an accidental red light. Didn't take long to figure out they helped Do burn outs. They were developed long before they had water (even bleach burn outs). The young ones would be amazed at some of the stuff from "The Old Days" Especially the HUGE fire burn Outs of the top fuel days!! Pro stock is now quicker/faster than the old top fuel cars!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm probably gonna go pick up a couple of sets so I can bleed the fronts and rears.

So you just unscrew the old bleeders and put the new bleeders in there?

Make sure the MC is filled with fluid and then pump?

Just do the furthest wheel first and then work your way to the closest to the MC?

Get notified of new replies

To What size speed bleeder????

Quick Reply: What size speed bleeder????