C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing FOG lights??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's another vote for going in through the top especially when converting to HID fogs! Super easy.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Gregory0729
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice. I went through the top and changed mine in just a few minutes. I also found that my horn was unplugged and fixed that too.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 AM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3whit
I forgot you need to slip out the front brake cooling ducts then you will find alot more room.
Do you have to twist it to get a tab to go through a slot? I tried taking mine out and wasn't successful. ended up just moving them kind of out of the way.

Originally Posted by JMc
Here's another vote for going in through the top especially when converting to HID fogs! Super easy.
I need to troubleshoot my HID fogs that someone else installed for me, so I want good access. Where is the painted piece in the pictures? Does it come off first? Are there any problems reassembling the headlights and getting them lined up right if you take them out?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Alignment is not impacted whatsoever by removing and replacing the headlight modules and you don't have to completely remove it to gain the access you need.

First, remove the headlight shrouds that are secured with the three phillips screws.

Then, remove the painted cover piece via the four torx screws - two in the back, one on each side. Lift off the cover.

You will now see two hinges bolts. These are put in with loctite. Once you break these free, carefully remove the hinge bolts, taking care to pull the nylon or metal sleeve that surrounds the bolt out with it. You don't want to lose these.

Now, gently lift the headlamp assembly up, tilt the forward part of it down and lower gently into the recess. It will be still attached to the motor. You can remove the one nut that holds it in, but it isn't necessary.

Reverse the process to reassemble. It's actually very, very easy. I can't even keep track of how many times I've done this recently while fooling around with my Radioflyer HID conversion, HID fogs, etc.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
Alignment is not impacted whatsoever by removing and replacing the headlight modules and you don't have to completely remove it to gain the access you need.

First, remove the headlight shrouds that are secured with the three phillips screws.

Then, remove the painted cover piece via the four torx screws - two in the back, one on each side. Lift off the cover.

You will now see two hinges bolts. These are put in with loctite. Once you break these free, carefully remove the hinge bolts, taking care to pull the nylon or metal sleeve that surrounds the bolt out with it. You don't want to lose these.

Now, gently lift the headlamp assembly up, tilt the forward part of it down and lower gently into the recess. It will be still attached to the motor. You can remove the one nut that holds it in, but it isn't necessary.

Reverse the process to reassemble. It's actually very, very easy. I can't even keep track of how many times I've done this recently while fooling around with my Radioflyer HID conversion, HID fogs, etc.
I've got the Radioflyer HID conversion to install plus troubleshoot a pair of previously installed HID fogs that never worked right and now one finally went out. need to find out if it is the bulb or the ballast.

When reversing the process, do you need to put loctite back on the hinge bolts? If so, is blue the way to go?

Thanks. I'm a real novice.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TooMch
I've got the Radioflyer HID conversion to install plus troubleshoot a pair of previously installed HID fogs that never worked right and now one finally went out. need to find out if it is the bulb or the ballast.

When reversing the process, do you need to put loctite back on the hinge bolts? If so, is blue the way to go?

Thanks. I'm a real novice.
You can, but I didn't and it's a good thing because I've had those puppies in and out about 5 times for various reasons in the last two weeks. Add a lock washer on each side for more peace of mind if you desire.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:28 PM
o_town_racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trk982003
you dont have to do any of that! just manually crank up the headlights about 3/4 open and you can fit your arm down far enough and you can twist out the old in twist in the new. i do it at work in 4 minutes on customer's cars after they've "fiddled with it for hours"
TRK982003, YOU ROCK! I was cleaning up the Vette this afternoon and noticed one of my fog lights had burned out. I went to Advanced Auto and picked up a replacement (stock 893 since that's what's in the other one). When I got home I looked at the light and where I might access it.....no idea. I came online and saw the manaul diagrams and thought "oh great....I need room under the car", but then continued reading and saw your post. That was the simplest fog light replacement I've EVER made. The only thing I had to do was remove the plastic bezel around the light to give my chubby arm a bit more clearance. After that....zip, zip, zip and the light was replaced and tested out fine.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Not hard to get to... take your head light cover off and look down here....

The brown part is the bulb and just pops off with a 1/4 turn.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Make very sure you do not loose the bolts and bushings when you take the pivot bolts out! They have plastic bushings inside. If you loose a bolt of bushing, you will NOT find a replacement! The dealer will only sell you the entire headlight assembly for a bolt!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by csdunaway
Make very sure you do not loose the bolts and bushings when you take the pivot bolts out! They have plastic bushings inside. If you loose a bolt of bushing, you will NOT find a replacement! The dealer will only sell you the entire headlight assembly for a bolt!
Are you talking about the main single bolt that holds the fog lamp in place ?

I went to Lowes and got this and it worked great for my install in my Z06.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:54 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Toque
Are you talking about the main single bolt that holds the fog lamp in place ?

I went to Lowes and got this and it worked great for my install in my Z06.

NO!

I am talking about the two pivot bolts for the headlights. Ask me how I know! Well, I dropped a bolt and the bushing... I searched and searched, and never found it. I thought, Oh well, how much could a bolt be at Chevrolet? WRONG!!!! They only sell the WHOLE headlight assembly with the bolts!

Fortunately, I posted a wanted ad on the forum, and a kind member sent me one for FREE!!! He is from Corvette Recyclers. Thanks, man!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM
webelo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o_town_racer
TRK982003, YOU ROCK! I was cleaning up the Vette this afternoon and noticed one of my fog lights had burned out. I went to Advanced Auto and picked up a replacement (stock 893 since that's what's in the other one). When I got home I looked at the light and where I might access it.....no idea. I came online and saw the manaul diagrams and thought "oh great....I need room under the car", but then continued reading and saw your post. That was the simplest fog light replacement I've EVER made. The only thing I had to do was remove the plastic bezel around the light to give my chubby arm a bit more clearance. After that....zip, zip, zip and the light was replaced and tested out fine.
You guys rock. Changed my fog light bulb in 5 minutes.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
rch105
6th Gear

Default Just an additional note.

1. Open the hood

2. Manually raise the headlights by removing the dust covers and turn the wheels until the headlights are fully open.

3. Using a 13mm wrench, loosen, then manually unscrew the hood adjusters which are found on the inboard side of each headlight housing. Try not to turn the nut on the threaded shaft as you'll then have to readjust your hood to body level.

4. Slide your hand between the headlight housing and the body and disconnect the electrical plug. Turn the base of the lamp and carefully remove the bulb.

5. To install a new bulb, reverse the order.

It might be a tight squeeze for your arm (careful of any sharp edges), so you might want to find someone with a smaller arm.

Have fun!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 PM
slamminsam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Replacing just bulbs

Thanks for all the tip an FYI

I was able to replace the fog light bulb only as one burned out by simply raising the light all the way up automaically and just reaching in to remove and replace.

It was very tricky but Ihave long skinny arms with small wrists....didnt have to turn a single bolt took 5 minutes......thanks guys!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Is it possible to install fogs in a Z06 from the top? I have all stock parts.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Linusmcduffy
Heel & Toe

Thank you for taking the time to add these photos. unfortunately i do not have access to a jacking system. your photos made a big difference.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM
dimler
Advanced

Default Replacing fog lights

THANK YOU-THANK YOU !!!!!!! Put my arm and wrist down the headlight method. Replaced BOTH in less than 8 minutes!!!
Find a friend or neighbor but THIS IS THE WAY TO DO THIS !!!!

Get notified of new replies

To replacing FOG lights??

Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Good stuff, thanks for bumping this up
Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 AM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by trk982003
you dont have to do any of that! just manually crank up the headlights about 3/4 open and you can fit your arm down far enough and you can twist out the old in twist in the new. i do it at work in 4 minutes on customer's cars after they've "fiddled with it for hours"
yeah, I know... old thread. thx trk. One thing I found that allows easier access. Remove the front hood bumps/stops/bolts. Simply loosen those and proceed as per your instructions. Adds another 90-seconds per side. Once you have the fog bulb in place, simply re-insert that bump/stop adjuster bolt. Easy as can be. 10mm to loosen the nut on the "stopper", remove the "stopper" so you CAN get your arm in there. Super easy. (always late, but better than never) Thanks, you saved me some anguish. For anyone looking to replace a C5 fog bulb, here's the method.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:15 PM
NotCreativeEnough
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my fogs with LED bars for around $35. Used the existing brackets from the projectors too, WAY brighter
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by NotCreativeEnough:
hotwillz33 (11-29-2021), Terry M. (05-15-2016)

Quick Reply: replacing FOG lights??