C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeevette
I hate to say this, but it seems you're making it way more complicated than is needed. My older TFS heads require a 7.9" PR, and the newer ones use a 7.5" IIRC. I'm not ****, but cautious, and as per instructions over @ LS1tech, from lots of guys that've done this, I just installed the cam dot-to-dot. No problems after many times @ 6900. I believe you're just worrying about nothing.
I am putting about $6,000 worth of parts (no labor) into this build....I guess that is really nothing to worry about...

Besides the money I want to know that everything is correct.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'm not surprised you have to cut the pistons?Just did a close setup with 60cc TFS,stock gasket and a higher lift 230/236 on 113 +2 and it had about .090 which is borderline.So a slower ramp 232 installed on a 110 would definitely get the intake reliefs cut.
On a side note we have run as close as .040 on the intake valves before but the springs can not float.
Cutting pistons has not been considered for this build yet.

I cut MINE (a different car) with a 240/244-111 cam and 59cc heads with .040" gaskets...it wasn't an option, it was an absolute requirement.

But thanks for the similar comparison.
I'm very curious to see the same clearance checks done with his stock LS6 heads.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'm not surprised you have to cut the pistons?Just did a close setup with 60cc TFS,stock gasket and a higher lift 230/236 on 113 +2 and it had about .090 which is borderline.So a slower ramp 232 installed on a 110 would definitely get the intake reliefs cut.
If the ramp was slower, it would definitely help, if you noted where the tightest point of clearance is.
The valve is opening, coming off the seat, and accelerating towards the piston. A steeper ramp lobe would make this situation worse, not better.

Plus, I'm not sure there are any steeper ramp hydraulic lobes than the XE-R. If I'm not mistaken, even the newer high lift lobe designs are not quite as steep in the profile near the opening and closing events.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the rockers "accelerated lift"?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Are the rockers "accelerated lift"?
Rockers are Jesel Sprortsman Series 1.7/1.7 ratio. They are part # KSS-307070. Haven't seen them advertised as accelerated lift.

Talked with Comp Cams & TEA this morning. Comp says my cam is a 113 with 3 degrees ground in and should be installed on 110 centerline.

TEA did a quick calc and thought I should see .076 clearance at TDC. This will change slightly at 10 deg ATDC, so I guess I need to verify the measurement one more time to be sure. I will use an adjustable pushrod this time and make sure it is zero lash. Mike at TEA was concerned that when I bolt down the rocker it could preload the lifter .040 and in effect take away that PTV clearance.

If this checks out again at .040 PTV I have 2 options. I can retard the cam a couple of degrees which may not get me where I want. Personally I am not excited about this option. The other option is to fly cut intake valve reliefs in my pistons. Mike was generous enough to offer shipping me a bare head for this purpose. Not excited about that option really either but given the two....I may bite the bullet and notch .060 valve relief if needed!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 187 Likes on 170 Posts

You have one other lousy option, smaller/different cam. Not a fun situation to be in, hope it all works out.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Using a hydraulic lifter and a standard pushrod may be the problem. If you don't have a solid lifter, then use the adjustable and set to zero and re-measure. Just gently lift the rocker at the pushrod side each time to make sure the plunger isn't depressing and skewing the measurement.
So to make a solid lifter out of one of my old stockers I remove the spring, and the plunger piece just underneath it. Then I fill the gap up to the spring with 3/16 washers? I may make two of these this afternoon if I can get the details!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Pretty much. I have some photo's at home of them apart and how I did it. If you plan to use the lifters afterwards, it may not be the best plan to do this. If they are being replaced (as I remember you have Morels waiting to go in) then it would be OK. Note also, Morels are taller and use less preload (later when measuring for pushrod length).
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by vsocks1
I am putting about $6,000 worth of parts (no labor) into this build....I guess that is really nothing to worry about...

Besides the money I want to know that everything is correct.

I know how much the parts cost, I practically have the same stuff. Unless the Jesel rockers have an impact on valve clearances, versus the Harland Sharps I used, I still firmly believe you have plenty of clearance with that cam. It's your time/money/stress, so do whatever makes you feel good.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

I know how much the parts cost, I practically have the same stuff. Unless the Jesel rockers have an impact on valve clearances, versus the Harland Sharps I used, I still firmly believe you have plenty of clearance with that cam. It's your time/money/stress, so do whatever makes you feel good.
Appreciate your input. I am just the type that doesn't want to have to worry or question what is being done. I know that I could run the setup as is....but the clearance we measured, (if confirmed again using solid lifter and adjustable pushrod) is too tight. All it takes is some float or a missed shift and problems could occur. Maybe that would not ever happen but I will sleep better knowing for sure.
This will be a small delay in getting the project complete - especially if fly cutting is needed, but well worth it in the end!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Mike was generous enough to offer shipping me a bare head for this purpose. Not excited about that option really either but given the two....I may bite the bullet and notch .060 valve relief if needed!
In light of this offer....Let's do it!

As you know, I had a friend run your specs through some engine building software last night....with the GM gasket, he calculated the intake p/v tight spot at .058" @ 8* ATDC. Since he computed this with 2.02" valves, and you just informed me you have 2.04", the larger valve would further reduce clearance and probably put his calculated pretty damn close to what we're seeing.

TEA's calculated .076" at TDC is also pretty close to what we are getting for readings.

At this point, I'd strongly urge you to take Mike up on his offer, and get that bare head in the mail. Lucky for you...you know someone with a 2 1/8" cutter and a bit of experience doing this.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

This will be a small delay in getting the project complete - especially if fly cutting is needed, but well worth it in the end!
In all seriousness, I could have all 8 of your pistons cut in a few hours. It is not a big deal at all, and the peace of mind knowing you'll have adequate clearance is priceless.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
In light of this offer....Let's do it!

As you know, I had a friend run your specs through some engine building software last night....with the GM gasket, he calculated the intake p/v tight spot at .058" @ 8* ATDC. Since he computed this with 2.02" valves, and you just informed me you have 2.04", the larger valve would further reduce clearance and probably put his calculated pretty damn close to what we're seeing.

TEA's calculated .076" at TDC is also pretty close to what we are getting for readings.

At this point, I'd strongly urge you to take Mike up on his offer, and get that bare head in the mail. Lucky for you...you know someone with a 2 1/8" cutter and a bit of experience doing this.

Tom,

I will call Mike and get it shipped out. I had kind of already made up my mind this would need to be done. Even if we were off by some lifter preload, it is not as much clearance as I would like based upon our measurements. I already ordered a custom cutting tool and correct stem for my valve from Lindy. Wasn't too bad at $78 + $28 and they will try and have them to me before the weekend if possible. So thanks for the offer on the tools anyway! Your experience doing this will be invaluable though....so I will take you up on that!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I practically have the same stuff.
So what are your measured p/v clearances?

Successfully spinning it to 6900 is not a measurement...so if you don't even know exactly what clearances you have, how the hell can you advise others what clearances they should have?

Now that our actual measured clearances have been more/less validated by two other credible sources...perhaps YOU should be the one worrying about the future day when a spring goes soft and starts to float. Especially with those HS rockers. (don't forget to post pics of the carnage).

In a way, this is good news for us. We found the "no problem" long before it had a chance to became a very serious problem, and with that knowledge, we can continue building the reliable engine the OP is wanting.

He could have just stuck the cam in dot to dot and spun it to 6900 too. And probably not had a problem....But I think he's now very thankful we chose to measure it and can make the necessary corrections and insure it will never be a problem.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
your heads will have a number stamped on them...i gave my number to TEA and they pulled my work order...indeed they were 61cc .015-.018 mill
try and get a solid lifter in there....and/or cc the head your self
i didnt check mine...i only calculated it via head specs (intake and exhaust valve drop)
piston out of the hole, gasket thickness and cam lift.
PatG and myself calculated this, also calculated with Geoff at engine power systems (geoff cofounder of thunder racing), as well as gave the spec to TEA to confirm PTV clearance...got me worried now
Kurt, really curious to know the numbers that were calculated on your new setup. I am not an expert but yours appears like it would have less clearance than mine. We are going to have to flycut the intake valve reliefs into my pistons.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:18 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Verne,

Don't remember if you guys ever measured exhaust clearance. If not, you may want to get those numbers before the tools arrive "just in case". Take some good photo's when you do this
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Verne,

Don't remember if you guys ever measured exhaust clearance. If not, you may want to get those numbers before the tools arrive "just in case". Take some good photo's when you do this
Exhaust didn't seem to be all that close (by feel)...if it was anything as alarmingly close as the intake was, we would have put the indicator on it too. (we eventually will anyways just for documentation purposes)...but I think he's fine on that side, well over .100" even at it's closest point.

I do have a cutter for the exhaust valve too if the need arises.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam install - help!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

I may get a chance to put a dial indicator on the exhaust side tomorrow sometime. We will see how it goes as I have a few other things I need to do also! But, like Tom says I don't expect a problem from what we saw on Saturday.
As you know I will take plenty of pictures!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:51 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

OK. I just go by my experience, if it can turn to crap it turns into crap squared in a hurry
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
So what are your measured p/v clearances?

Successfully spinning it to 6900 is not a measurement...so if you don't even know exactly what clearances you have, how the hell can you advise others what clearances they should have?

Now that our actual measured clearances have been more/less validated by two other credible sources...perhaps YOU should be the one worrying about the future day when a spring goes soft and starts to float. Especially with those HS rockers. (don't forget to post pics of the carnage).

In a way, this is good news for us. We found the "no problem" long before it had a chance to became a very serious problem, and with that knowledge, we can continue building the reliable engine the OP is wanting.

He could have just stuck the cam in dot to dot and spun it to 6900 too. And probably not had a problem....But I think he's now very thankful we chose to measure it and can make the necessary corrections and insure it will never be a problem.

I would think it was obvious that I didnt' go to the lengths of anality (is that a word?) to do procedures like claying/degreeing that some people seem to regard as essential. I read up on the procedures for months over a LS1tech, from dozens of others, and concluded that I had plenty of safety margin with my cam to forego those steps. My cam is a Crane 228/232@112+5-.600/.600, so it's marginally smaller than the OP's. I discussed my setup with the guys at TEA, as well as LS1tech, and they all agreed I'd have no problems. If you and your buddies need to check everything, more power to ya, but I trust those who have a great deal more experience than I do. Doing things your own way is an American tradition, and since the OP was experiencing some angst, I thought my opinion might offer some reassurance.

Quick Reply: Cam install - help!