C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what bulbs are illuminate the climate control etc??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
m88vet
Instructor

Location: LA from the 6th sept till the 10th sept california ( then New Zealand)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what bulbs are illuminate the climate control etc??

Help.... i cant find what type of lamp is used to light up the switches on the dash board / air con etc ....on my c5 zo6! has anyone had any bulbs burn out? what bulbs did you use to replace them?? any info would be great ! cheers
Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 PM
m88vet
Instructor

Location: LA from the 6th sept till the 10th sept california ( then New Zealand)

Originally Posted by m88vet
Help.... i cant find what type of lamp is used to light up the switches on the dash board / air con etc ....on my c5 zo6! has anyone had any bulbs burn out? what bulbs did you use to replace them?? any info would be great ! cheers
bump ttt
Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the window switches, trunk/fog panel, AH/TC panel etc use the little 74 twist style bulbs such as these:

the picture shown is an LED replacement light which you can get at oznium.com. the stock bulbs are incandescent with little blue rubber caps to make them look whiter.

now for the bad news.
the climate control and the radio use direct soldered in incandescent type lights. they are not replaceable except to desolder and remove then solder in a new one. they are soldered directly onto the circuit board. why they designed it this way I have no idea. I'm sure GM would have you replace the whole unit for a burned out bulb.

there are solutions though, search for the interior LED threads. I have no idea why but they keep getting locked!?! however there are good instructions in here for how you can remove the old bulbs, and install some LEDs with resistors in their place so you don't have any more burning out. you'll have to be handy with a soldering iron though. or if you are not I believe that JWMotoring does LED replacement services. he's a great guy to do business with, if you don't think you can take it on by yourself, ask him. you can fix burned out bulbs and replace them with cooler running longer lasting LEDs. if you want to keep to a stock look go with white, or if you want to change the look you can change the color of the climate control panel with colored LEDs. popular choices are blue or red. I have mine done in blue and it looks fantastic!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I use these for stock bulb replacements;

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1505k414/=1haqku
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
m88vet
Instructor

thanks all for your help here ..........

Get notified of new replies

To what bulbs are illuminate the climate control etc??

Quick Reply: what bulbs are illuminate the climate control etc??